Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Egyptian spiny mice and Striped grass mice are here! :D

There was a horrible delay with the snow and it seemed like forever waiting for them, but they are here and i've settled them into their new homes.

Down side is none are handlable, they came from a breeder who overbred his mice at xmas and these were excess, and were never handled.

The grass mice do not bite but are extremely fast so therefore not good for handling, though i hear grass mice in general do not amke good pets for the reason they are very skittish, but are more a 'look at' species for exotic mammal entheusiasts (sp?) they are so cute though.

The spiny mice have bitten, and are very cocky, i'm not sure if its because they have been moved around a lot lately, but all ym experiences with them haven't been good, so i'd say another 'look at' species and not cuddly pet mice.

I will get pics up this weekend, my hairless mice will be here saturday too! so will take pics then of all of them!

did i mention the grass mice are cute!!! :p

Can't wait until they start breeding!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Awh thats greatt!
I can't wait to see picturess!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Can't wait until they start breeding <---- wouldnt post anythig like that on here i got slated

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can't wait until they start breeding <---- wouldnt post anythig like that on here i got slated
I know what you mean Tinkerbell, it happens on every forum over different subjects, theres always going to be people against it, a friend of mine was pushed out of a forum because he breeds for snake food (not live feeding though!)

To me it doesn't matter what you breed for as long as your sensible about it and put the rodents welfare first, as i believe i do myself, if people can't except that then they will lose a valuble member, don't let it get you down, they'll always be other people to take you on and back you up :)

A lot of my mice get sold to people who feed to snakes, but anyone is welcome to have them for pets too, however i do not push my rodents for the demand, someone contacted me not long ago wanting 100 rats, at the end of the day i have 3 females who breed, and i will not overbreed them to keep up with the demand, and easy to say i turned the person away, my rats would not survive such a demand and therefore i would not even consider it, i only have 4 baby rats and one pregnant female right now and the male is seperated to prevent overbreeding and risking the health of my girls.

My breeders are my pets, i have a strong bond towards every animal and i think that is the biggest help when breeding sensibly, i know my (and my pets) limits, sure you do too! ;)

I am not in it for profit, my rodents are not bred in stacks and fed cheap food blocks, they live in proper cages with toys, wheels, houses, they get treats and proper foods, they are also tame and obviously very comfortable and happy :)

I think as long as a rodent leads a nice and healthy life beforehand, and if they are going to be culled then its done in a humane way, then it doesn't matter whether they go for food, pets, further breeding or showing!

·
Dinky Gerbilelbow
2,425 Posts
Tinkerbell you didnt get slated for saying you wanted to breed. You said you wanted to stud your dog out and that is frowned upon purely because half the time you dont know what happens to the puppies etc for all you know you could be studding your dog and the person breeding could mistreat the pups or could be over breeding the mum etc and those are pups that end up in shelters etc and there are already so many unwanted dogs in shelters :( and you said your reasons for doing it were because he wants to do it which is silly as all MALE anything will hump if they are given the chance but it doesnt mean they WANT to breed!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts