Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to vent for a minute. We adopted Tucker a week ago today and this week has been horrible. We paid $200 for his adoption fee. Fine. I was totally okay with that. They assured us that he was in good health, gave us the record of his first set of vaccinations and told us when he was due for the next. Great. We brought him home and his poop was a little loose. Not totally runny, but definitely not where it should be. We give him a day and it doesn't get any better, but doesn't get any worse. I call the vet and they say most likely stress since he is eating/drinking/playing/sleeping normally. They say to call them if it gets worse. Which it does. Tuesday night I am up with him ALL NIGHT because he has liquid poop and it's every 30 minutes or so. Wednesday morning my husband takes him to the vet. They do a fecal check, CBC, give him a couple of injections, some prescription food and some meds to take at home. They say we should see much improvement in 24-48 hours. $173 and we are on our way. So now we are at $373 for a mix breed puppy. But that's okay, because we signed up to take care of him and this is what he needed. It's been 3 more days and things were no better, but no worse, until last night. He was literally unable to control his bowels and this morning it was bloody. Very bloody. Back to the vet. Check for parvo - negative thankfully. Another CBC - looks ok, though white blood cells are a little higher than they were, they are still within normal limits. He is getting dehydrated so needs some sub-Q fluids. Gets another injection, 2 more medicines to come home (now we're on 4). $198. If you're keeping track, we've dropped $571 on this puppy in 7 days. I want to go up to the event this organization is having at PetSmart today and kick this F'er in the junk. I am seriously flipping my lid over this. Again, we did sign up to care for the puppy and meet all of his needs, but they really should make sure these animals are well before they put them out at adoption events. I am writing an email to both the organization and PetSmart. Nothing is going to come of it, but I think it's ridiculous and my head will explode if I don't do something. :mad2:

· Registered
5,304 Posts
at the shelter i work at we adopt out dogs as is, as long as it isn't something fatal. We just don't have the means to check for everything. However, if a dog is having bloody runny poo we do tell the people adopting and send home meds if they need it.

· RAT ADDICT
19,823 Posts
I am involved with a dog rescue and there is no guarantee the dogs are not going to be 100% healthy. Of course if a severely sick dog comes in,he/she gets as much vet care as possible and is allowed to get better in a foster home before placed in adoption.

IMO you can't really blame the shelter. Sometimes health issues do not crop up right away.
There is NO guarantee your new pet is 100% healthy when you rescue.

· Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
I think you need to calm down a bit and look at this logically instead of "going to Petsmart to kick the F'er in the junk".

It is impossible to completey 100% guarantee an animal is healthy. Just like people. You don't know when an animal is incubating an illness that will appear when they're stressed out. You have records from the vet where the vaccinations were done, and if he was acting healthy and not displaying any problems at the time of adoption, were they supposed to psychically time travel to when you adopted him to know that he may have an illness which would manifest when stressed out by an adoption?

Instead of being a jerk and threatening violence towards them, have you contacted them to let them know what's going on? In our case, when animals turn up sick within a certain period after adoption we provide medical care for those animals or offer to take them back, with no consequences.

· Resident Aquarium Nerd
10,108 Posts
I don't see how they could have known something was wrong, I'm guessing he wasn't acting sick when you picked him up. The stress of a new home might have caused him to give into whatever he was harboring (I know when I get new foster dogs a lot of them get stomach bugs or kennel cough at first but it goes away). I'm sorry to hear about your dog but I also don't think the rescue was at fault :(. I would contact them (politely) and let them know what's going on.

· Betta Bomb
5,417 Posts
My apologies on your sick pup pup. (and your hurtin' wallet) but nothing in life ever comes with a fool prof guarantee. You paid to adopt this little fella and provide for him like a child. You are doing a great job keeping so keen on his bills and I know what its like when bills begin to pile, but I think maybe you are expecting a little too much on the behalf of the shelter (petsmart?) Best you can do is keep on hanging on and hope for the best. My thoughts go out to you and your little guy :)

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know ya'll are right, I was just super grumpy when I got home, hence my saying I needed to vent. We have many animals and enjoy rescuing animals in need, I just felt like the foster family that had this pup was not 100% honest with us. They told us a story about the pups and how they were found, and this morning when I called the vet that initially saw them, she told me a completely different story. So that put a bad taste in my mouth and made me wonder what else they weren't telling me. I'm totally not a violent person and would never actually do anything, probably won't ever even contact them LOL I was just venting, like I said. I'm sure it doesn't help that we've had hardly any sleep all week taking him outside every 20-30 minutes all night long! We will take care of this pup and give him anything and everything he needs (obviously! :)) It's hard seeing him go through it because he is clearly uncomfortable, but hopefully he can get back on track soon. Thanks for listening to my vent and please know that I really was just doing that. I'm a nice person! LOL

· Betta Bomb
5,417 Posts
Aw, makes sense. Writing while passionate from a fresh situation will lead many into a super rant on life. I feel you there!! lol It is unfortunate that the foster might have been forgetting to tell you something but even still. Hm, I would be mad at my misfortune too. Anyways, vent read and stamped with approval :D Glad you're feeling better, maybe a hot cup of tea?

· RAT ADDICT
19,823 Posts
I know ya'll are right, I was just super grumpy when I got home, hence my saying I needed to vent. We have many animals and enjoy rescuing animals in need, I just felt like the foster family that had this pup was not 100% honest with us. They told us a story about the pups and how they were found, and this morning when I called the vet that initially saw them, she told me a completely different story. So that put a bad taste in my mouth and made me wonder what else they weren't telling me. I'm totally not a violent person and would never actually do anything, probably won't ever even contact them LOL I was just venting, like I said. I'm sure it doesn't help that we've had hardly any sleep all week taking him outside every 20-30 minutes all night long! We will take care of this pup and give him anything and everything he needs (obviously! :)) It's hard seeing him go through it because he is clearly uncomfortable, but hopefully he can get back on track soon. Thanks for listening to my vent and please know that I really was just doing that. I'm a nice person! LOL
I completely understand...sometimes in the moments of anger & passion we say or do things we don't mean or later regret.

I am sorry to hear that you have been getting different stories,I would be confused and probably angry too. But at least you have provided the little guy with a loving home,so it is time to focus on the now. Good luck with him and hopefully you stick around and share some pictures of him! :)

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks! :)

Tucker is doing a little better today. He is MUCH more playful. His poop is still super liquidy, but the frequency has decreased a little bit. I stopped giving him the prescription dog food and moved to plain white rice with 12ml of the chicken flavored pedialyte type stuff the vet gave us. I'm giving it to him in small servings so that his stomach has less to digest. He is currently on Metronidazole, Centrine and Gastro Cote. He also gets Forti-Flora sprinkled on his food and he's getting 50ml Rebound with his rice. Hopefully he has a better night tonight.

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He is 8 weeks old. We were told he was a chihuahua mix, but our vet feels that he is some type of terrier.

I tried to post a couple pictures of him, but it says I haven't made enough posts here yet. Will try again when I get enough.

· Registered
801 Posts
That's really frustrating for you knowing this pup is not really in good shape, so sorry. But you can inquire for some details like his history there in PetSmart, and see if they just OK'd him for adoption even with such condition.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.