Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new mouse for Christmas because recently my only male mouse chase died. I've been trying to breed them for quiet some time so I needed a new male. Well I was really stupid and just put the male mouse in with my three females. Their was one argument that didn't last long and 2 of the females now accept him completely but one of my females is acting strange. She jumps around the cage if any of her roommates get near her Especially the male and squeaks with her tail erect ears back watching the male on the constant. I cant get her to stop and I'm not sure what to do neither of the mice have tried to hurt each other. Can some one give me some advice?:confused:

·
Registered
302 Posts
She's a nervous one. Once it comes time for babies, it might be in your best interest to isolate her from the other two... to help with her nerves.

Other than that, they'll all settle in and be just fine. It's not that common that rats or mice have problems with new roomates - as long as you're not trying to put two male mice together in a too confined of an area.

As for breeding, I hope you either have room for all those mice OR are a feeder breeder who plans on HUMANELY euthing extra babies, because breeding three litters at once does not bode well for pet placement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help, I feel bad but I need the extra babies for my snake I hate it :( but I try to do it as humanely as possible. THanks again for the Info

·
Animal-Holic
67 Posts
SNAKE!!! No no no, buy the frozen ones, thats just evil, breeding for food.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I said I don't like breeding for food but I have to I don't have the money for frozen ones and its the only way my mom will let me keep my mice. Besides the same thing happens at the pet stores its no different other then the fact their lives are on my conscience :sorry:

·
Animal-Holic
67 Posts
get rid of the snakey, the mice are cool, but make snakey go good-bye.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Knuxz don't be like that please, don't bash someone for having to breed for food, if its done humanely then you shouldn't have a problem with it, as the parent mice are to be well taken care of, with limited breeding and so on.... Snakes have to eat, you shouldn't say that someone should get rid of their pet because it eats meat...

·
Animal-Holic
67 Posts
sorry, i just don't like the idea of breeding for food, it makes me think a snake is about to eat my Oreo

·
Registered
284 Posts
Knuxz don't be like that please, don't bash someone for having to breed for food, if its done humanely then you shouldn't have a problem with it, as the parent mice are to be well taken care of, with limited breeding and so on.... Snakes have to eat, you shouldn't say that someone should get rid of their pet because it eats meat...

I agree with Kendalle.

If a snake was in the wild it would still eat mice. We aren't here to judge, just to offer advice or assistance to anyone who needs it. And breeding for feeders is the only way for some people. As long as it's humane I have no problem with it, and I am a rat person!!

As for the introducing the male to the females, have you tried taking them out of the cage in a neutral area? Or introducing them to the male one at a time? I know with my rats, when I had a dozen of them I'd introduce them one at a time to each other on my couch, it was neutral and no one was territorial. Just give it a try!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I breed fancy mice and rats for pet and feeder. I like that I'm not paying for frozen ones, because I don't agree with the treatment of them in some ways. So, I'd rather breed and love my own, give them all the respect they deserve as living animals, and know that they were humanely euthanized. I also keep close tabs on litters, breed only healthy animals, and make sure all breeders are pet quality.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
The problem was you didn't introduce the mice on neutral territory.Remove the male and try again on neutral territory,like a couch or a bed.

get rid of the snakey, the mice are cool, but make snakey go good-bye.
Who are you to tell someone to get rid of their pet.Thats not nice.Not everyone is gonna agree with eachother,but you also have no right to tell someone to get rid of their pet.

I love snakes and I also love rats.
And I have no problem with someone who breeds feeders,as long as the animals are taken care of.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Who are you to tell someone to get rid of their pet.Thats not nice.Not everyone is gonna agree with eachother,but you also have no right to tell someone to get rid of their pet.

I love snakes and I also love rats.
And I have no problem with someone who breeds feeders,as long as the animals are taken care of.

AGREED!

·
Registered
391 Posts
introducing on neutral territory is always a good idea. there's an artical on how smell affects behaviour. i think it's on fancy-rats.co.uk.

knuxz, you have a right to your opinion, but not a right to dictate your opinion to other people. that's what you signed up for in the terms and conditions. i know oreo is SUPER cute, but lykois prefers to know that their feeder mice are happy mice before they are humanely euthed. plus, the feeder breeder boys will be super happy lol. and a snake's gotta eat, would you have your snake eat happy mice or (for lack of better words) battery farmed mice?

could someone put some tips on humane euthing please?

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
I said I don't like breeding for food but I have to I don't have the money for frozen ones and its the only way my mom will let me keep my mice. Besides the same thing happens at the pet stores its no different other then the fact their lives are on my conscience :sorry:
What you do is your business, but if you can't afford frozen rodents, it's a really poor financial decision to breed THREE litters of mice which you have to feed and support until you kill them. Feeding 4 mice for 2 years is way more expensive than buying frozen rodents. Not to mention if one of these mice needs vet care of some type.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I don't find breeding too expensive. I do what works for me, haven't had a problem yet. It can be done.

And as for vet care - with feeder animals, it's easier just to euth them. Another can be had for 1.00 - 4.00.

I think maybe I'll start another thread on euthanasia methods. And also because a lot of people are scared of the death topic.

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
I'm not scared of it, sweets, I've had to euthanize a fair amount of animals in our rescue from neglect of others. (Often from "feeder breeders" like yourself).

Again, I'm just telling you that financially, paying for food for mice until they expire or you drag them off to the vet to kill them instead of treating them for their problems absolutely costs more than buying frozen. And dumping 3 females in to backbreed over and over again wtih a male is not humane.

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
Just as an example... let's assume your snake eats once a week, and that he eats even the largest size of mouse.

50 mice from rodentpro (extra large) are $27.

So let's go into the cost of keeping even just a tank of mice alive. You'll probably have to buy food for them around once a month. The cheapest bag of mouse food (which isn't the healthiest, so I assume you wouldn't use it) is $5. In 6 months, you've already spent more than the frozen rodents.

But then you have to buy bedding. (probably $10 a month) Oh, and you have to buy more aquariums to house any mice that aren't getting along. And you have to account for your time cleaning the cages. And you have to buy them water bottles, etc, accessories.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just agree to disagree everyone. We all have our ways that we find best for ourselves, even if others dont like it. Thats just life.

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
Quite a discussion board when everybody just sits around not responding.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.