Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Wacky Chimpnose
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok, i seriously don't know if i can live in this neighborhood anymore. and it's not the cat thing, cause every neighborhood has those (unfortunately). it's the treatment of the dogs around here! :mad:

it's 12:30pm here right now. about 30 min ago i hear a dog whining and barking. i figure the gsd (german shepard) is just being anxious. not surprising since they NEVER LET IT OUT OF THE BACKYARD! i also hear the cat meowing, so i get a bowl with cat food and go out and feed him. (meanwhile - all the noise is driving my two insane!) i look over and see a gsd tied to a tree in the front yard. i'm thinking that it's the dog from the backyard (their dog) and i already feel sorry for it cause it's tied to a small freaking rope and has to look on from the grass while the whole stupid family sits on the front porch. no one pets it, looks at it, does anything. and oh yah - it's drizzling rain! the dog is so desperate for attention. it just wants to be pet and played with. so i am looking straight at the dog and i hear the whining/barking again, but the dog didn't do it. so i realize..."that's coming from the backyard." so i look and the 'original' dog is back there. :( it's crying and barking (as is the other one in the front yard) because the poor things just want to play! :rubcry: i remember the other gsd because my neighbor's family member that owns it had it at his house when they both got them (make sense?). so i saw them together as puppies when i first moved in.

so i'm standing there with the cat on the front porch, staring at these people for like, 20 straight minutes cause i didn't know what to do. i mean, guys.......my heart was beating so hard in my chest. i was furious. can't the dogs play? why is that so hard? you live a block away you idiots! so i come inside thinking, "jane...this is none of your business. let it go." and then the two gsd's start up again. finally, i just went outside, and told one of the ladies, "listen, is there any way that this one (pointing to dog in front yard) can go play with the other one? cause the barking is driving my dogs nuts. you can't just let a dog bark for like, 30 min like that." so she tells this to the guy that lives there and then they decide that the solution is to take the dog in the front yard back home. :mad2: why couldn't they just play? and i know some of you might be thinking, "well, what if they are boy and girl and aren't fixed?" well...don't even get me started on that! that's just even worse. :(

i don't know if i can live here amongst these neighbors anymore. i have no clue what happened to rocky (chi mix next door on other side. some of you know who he is). and these neighbors that i actually liked just neglect their gsd like nothing else. :( then there's the lab mix across the street who is never let out of his backyard and who's sister died because the family didn't know what Parvo is! i don't know what to do anymore. :(

·
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter
1,165 Posts
I believe everything happens for a reason, even something as trivial as where we end up living.
I look at it like this .... you're the type of person who gets upset at such things, and who isn't afraid to say/do something about it. The fact that someone like you lives there may be the best thing for these animals. Maybe no one else would bother to explain the dangers of Parvo to their owners, or make them aware that they're neglecting their dogs. Maybe no one else around there would ever bother to call the humane society, or give a thirsty animal a bowl of water.
I understand how frustrating it is, but maybe you should make it your mission to educate these people and help out their pets. You may make some enimies, but you may just save some lives too. :D

·
Wacky Chimpnose
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sharon - i totally agree with you. and that's what i thought i'd do when i first moved here. but unless i actually go over there and physically trespass, they just don't listen.
a big part of this is that they don't speak english and come from a very different culture. please don't take this the wrong way - but i lived in the rio grande valley since i was 3, so i know what i'm talking about. they just don't see things the way i do. i tried for months with my neighbors with rocky and they did nothing. i even called the police, and still nothing. i don't even know where he is. :( i can try talking to the other ones (gsd ones) like i did the other ones with rocky. it's just so hard. sigh.....

thank you sharon! your words mean a lot. :heart:

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Ugh! I know how you feel! My neighbors had a rottie mix last spring...he was a puppy and they let him wander the streets...he was always trying to get in my house and one day he was just gone. I have no idea what happened to him. Hopefully some nice people picked him up and kept him.
There is also a Chow and a Pomeranian that wander around unleashed all the time. Whenever I pull out of my driveway, I have to be extra careful because they are constantly walking out into the road. Now that I think about it, I haven't seen the Pom in several weeks :( I hope nothing bad happened to him! The Chow is matted so bad and although it's supposed to be a Cinnomon...it looks brown from all the dirt. Twigs are stuck in his butt-fur! He needs a bath and a good grooming as well as a new home. I hate stupid people! :mad:

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
I'm sorry you have to live in a neighborhood like that, with all those poor animals. It must be breaking your heart! It's awesome, though, how you speak up when you have a problem. Hang in there! :hugg2:

·
Tarzan Mama of Two
7,329 Posts
Jane continue to speak up girl.....You have been put in that neighbourhood for a reason. I know it's tough on you and that you feel like they aren't listening but you never know, if you can get one person to listen to one thing you say then you have made that animals life all the better, and that is something to feel good about. Just try and give yourself a bit of a break. Life has been stressful for you right now....I'm sure something is just around the corner to motivate you again. You are doing great things by standing up for those animals...keep telling yourself that!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Man, I'm really sorry you have to deal with that ... how horrible. I hate it when people chain dogs up ... it's so inhumane. Especially when there is someone or another dog out there in its sight ... It really makes you wonder what the point was of getting the dog in the first place. I mean, looking at it from their point of vew ... what in the world is the point of keeping an animal that you have to feed and provide housing for if you don't even really care about it, you know?

Anyways, the matter is only complicated by the barking .. jeez, that's rude. I absolutely hate it when people let their dogs sit outside for hours on end with them barking at everything in sight ... other than that being bad for the dog it is just absolutely rude to the neighbors ...

Good luck talking to them ... I'm really sorry you have to deal with people like that. Are you seriously going to move?

·
Wacky Chimpnose
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
elfomatic said:
Are you seriously going to move?
i wish i could. but it's just not possible. my parents just paid through the nose for this house and i just moved in a few months ago. so no...and i like living in this location (close to school) and all that. i just don't like my immediate neighbors...

thank you all.

·
Registered
781 Posts
formula86 said:
ok, i seriously don't know if i can live in this neighborhood anymore. and it's not the cat thing, cause every neighborhood has those (unfortunately). it's the treatment of the dogs around here! :mad:

it's 12:30pm here right now. about 30 min ago i hear a dog whining and barking. i figure the gsd (german shepard) is just being anxious. not surprising since they NEVER LET IT OUT OF THE BACKYARD! i also hear the cat meowing, so i get a bowl with cat food and go out and feed him. (meanwhile - all the noise is driving my two insane!) i look over and see a gsd tied to a tree in the front yard. i'm thinking that it's the dog from the backyard (their dog) and i already feel sorry for it cause it's tied to a small freaking rope and has to look on from the grass while the whole stupid family sits on the front porch. no one pets it, looks at it, does anything. and oh yah - it's drizzling rain! the dog is so desperate for attention. it just wants to be pet and played with. so i am looking straight at the dog and i hear the whining/barking again, but the dog didn't do it. so i realize..."that's coming from the backyard." so i look and the 'original' dog is back there. :( it's crying and barking (as is the other one in the front yard) because the poor things just want to play! :rubcry: i remember the other gsd because my neighbor's family member that owns it had it at his house when they both got them (make sense?). so i saw them together as puppies when i first moved in.

so i'm standing there with the cat on the front porch, staring at these people for like, 20 straight minutes cause i didn't know what to do. i mean, guys.......my heart was beating so hard in my chest. i was furious. can't the dogs play? why is that so hard? you live a block away you idiots! so i come inside thinking, "jane...this is none of your business. let it go." and then the two gsd's start up again. finally, i just went outside, and told one of the ladies, "listen, is there any way that this one (pointing to dog in front yard) can go play with the other one? cause the barking is driving my dogs nuts. you can't just let a dog bark for like, 30 min like that." so she tells this to the guy that lives there and then they decide that the solution is to take the dog in the front yard back home. :mad2: why couldn't they just play? and i know some of you might be thinking, "well, what if they are boy and girl and aren't fixed?" well...don't even get me started on that! that's just even worse. :(

i don't know if i can live here amongst these neighbors anymore. i have no clue what happened to rocky (chi mix next door on other side. some of you know who he is). and these neighbors that i actually liked just neglect their gsd like nothing else. :( then there's the lab mix across the street who is never let out of his backyard and who's sister died because the family didn't know what Parvo is! i don't know what to do anymore. :(
SOrry don't know how to j ust quote a part of it. But it all is good. I don't understand it either, esp, if they've known each other all their lives, are litter mates. GRRRRR at neighbors. I am seething lol.....I read this,a nd it brought back memories of my GSD and one of his old friends.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Jane I totally understand about different cultures treating their animals differently and how frustrating that can be.... Keep speaking up and maybe someday your voice will actually be heard.
I know what we do over here doesn't matter to most, but the few that do give us their thanks and gratitude are the few that see what life is really like for the animals over here.
Barking can be a serious problem (believe me I know) and the cause of the barking seems obvious, if it continues on and they don't want to listen to what you might tend to tell them, than do what you feel is right in your heart, call whom ever you need to call to have the matter looked at, don't be afraid, stand your ground girl, and remember as long as your doing what you feel is right there is nothing to feel bad about or be afraid about!! :hug3:

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Re being upset..

Jane I don't live in the same sort of neighbourhood you do.. But if I did I may of done the same as you.. It is always upsetting to see dogs tied up, and not be allowed to play and run.. I hope that you are ok now?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts