Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed last night how rough sofi was looking and acting. I am contacting local vets about payment plans and rodent experience. I originally thought it was simply constipation but i think it is much worse than that.

This is how my baby girl looks right now :( I hope its simply treated :(

· she-mayor of Whoville
298 Posts
Poor girl, get well soon Sofi!!! <3<3

· Betta Bomb
5,417 Posts
Is she all wet bc you bathed her?? I would give her a bowl of chinchilla dust to dry up in!!! A wet hamster is a cold hamster and a cold hamster = weak immune system. Hamsters should not be bathed :/ Or at least they should remain in a warm fuzzy blanket or a warm room until totally dry.

How long was she like this? Was there any changes in her diet? how old is she? Is there any drafts around her cage?

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would never bath her and I know how to care for my hamster. I fed her olive oil as advised since we thought she was constipated. It got in her she is totally dry now. Chinchilla dust is HORRIBLE for hamsters the dust gets in their lungs. She wasnt wet just greasy and she has a nice warm nest :)

Its happened over the past three weeks behavior change the last few days. She has a consistent diet and no drafts.

I'm thinking judging by the hard lump near her ribs it may be a tumor. I found a vet I will make an appointment ASAP

· It's all for them
603 Posts
I would never bath her and I know how to care for my hamster. I fed her olive oil as advised since we thought she was constipated. It got in her she is totally dry now. Chinchilla dust is HORRIBLE for hamsters the dust gets in their lungs. She wasnt wet just greasy and she has a nice warm nest :)

Its happened over the past three weeks behavior change the last few days. She has a consistent diet and no drafts.

I'm thinking judging by the hard lump near her ribs it may be a tumor. I found a vet I will make an appointment ASAP
Aw, no I am sorry to see this. Are hamsters prone to tumors? Please keep us posted, I've said a prayer for your dear little Sofi, and all paws crossed.

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tumors are a very common cause of death in hamsters and they only have about a 50% chance of pulling through surgery ... So I'm hoping its minor. I've been the best hamster mommy I can ... Now I just have to wait and see what the vet says.

Everyones support is really appreciated I'll keep everyone updated.

· is a little "special"
4,182 Posts
Poor thing, I hope she makes it. :( I've had hamsters die from tumors too.

· Betta Bomb
5,417 Posts
wow, totally didn't know that about chin dust!! I had some safe hamster litter for Button years ago.. It wasn't dusty I don't know what it was,,,,,I thought chin dust was similar. I've been years out of small animals now sure. :/ oops.

I NEVER said once you were a bad or inadequate owner. I only stated the water thing bc it looked wet like water and it was not mentioned in the original post.

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been dealing with the issue on a hamster specific forum.

chinchilla sand is also not safe due to silica. we use calcium carbonate sand its the safest but playsand is second best.

its actually a common misconception to use chinchilla sand and dust.

Sofi now has bad diarrhea if i could bathe her it'd be great lol but I cleaned her with a paper towel and am letting her do her thing

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
she is making a nest and she has cleaned all the oil off her belly so I assume she is cleaning herself. I find it funny people dont use common sense. I am currently designing a cage for 1 ham using ALL my cages connected and all my supplies. But thats years away I hope

· It's all for them
603 Posts
Still keeping paws crossed for Sofi. Didn't you say you had an appointment at a vet for her today?

The chinchilla dust issue was actually a good thing to bring up. I don't know anything about small animal care, (I only recently ever met my first chinchilla and learned about chinchilla dust) and now we all know that chinchilla dust is harmful to hamsters, so it's good that it was brought up. :)

I'm sure you take excellent care of your little ones, and we all want Sofi to get better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.