Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a chance that Blitzen will either be re-home or going to a dog pound in Winnipeg. Our incidents with other dogs is getting way out of hand. And he's starting to get a little aggressive towards me and my family. Saturday morning he got into another fight with a dog...another husky. And he put his mouth around the other dogs neck and bit him/ her. And ever since then he has been very aggressive at home. He has started to growl and bark and show his teeth. I'm afraid to go near him, I'm afraid to touch him, I'm afraid to take him out for walks, I'm afraid to feed him. He hasn't done anything to hurt any of us..but I'm afraid sooner than later something is going to happen. What if the next time something happens and he decides to attack me too?? It has taken me 4 hours to decide he has to go. :'( I don't know if I can get him under control this time. The vet said he could be put down but I won't do that if somebody else can help him. I know he can be helped..I think a lot of the way he is, is because he spent his first month out on the streets..nobody to teach him what's right/ wrong. And I honestly don't know how to get him to calm down and go back to the way he was. I just don't know what to do.

Another dog, I would love to get ( Yes, I'm already thinking about another cuz my home wouldn't be a home without a 4 legged friend). This time though, I am not going to pick up a dog from the streets. I know now I don't have enough experience to be dealing with street dogs. I can't handle that kind of stress and pressure especially with a 18 month old kid and trying to get pregnant again.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's about 5 months. We were told that when he was a smaller pup, he had run away when he and his brothers and sisters where being put up for adoption. We asked about a birthday but apparently his owners parents couldn't remember. No one bothered to look for his cuz that's the kind of place I live in :( I'm surprised he's acting the way he is...we've had him since Dec. 27 and this is the first time ever he's been like this. excluding this weekend, he has barked NEVER and growled at me the one and only time when I was cutting his nail. I don't know if the last incident brought out some memories from the time he was outside or what (Don't know if that is possible). Actually for being a street dog for about a month, I was really surprised at how friendly he was. I thought I'd have at least some aggression issues.

·
Registered
374 Posts
He is still young. There is so much opportunity to change that behavior. I know resources are limited in your area but I do hope that you will be able to find him a home where there is help available.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know it can be fixed...I just don't know how to go about doing it. He is the first dog that I have ever owned, so everything I've been doing with him is advice from other people and researching on the net. I feel awful that I'm thinking of doing this...but I don't know how to change his behavior.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully he finds a home that will be able to help him. I know this probably isn't easy for you.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Could the attack may have caused Blitzen some harm? He may be acting out against you guys due to an injury with the husky. Just something to maybe check for, maybe get him looked at. If there is so many problems with a large dog maybe you would be better suited for a little dog? I hate to hear that already you're thinking of a replacement but it's your home not mine. I hope Blitzen can be worked with though bc in a shelter setting he may be easily be over looked by the mass majority of people due to slight aggression :/ That's the reality. I hope you do what's right and follow your heart. Bless.

·
Curmudgeon
1,843 Posts
It's a hard decision to let go.

If you are afraid of him, that's a big problem. But because he has a documented "history" of aggressive behavior, you've moved into a legal area that could open you up for very large punitive damages if he should hurt someone and they sue you.

I agree, that it's possible that a good trainer could help the situation, but if that's not an option, you are in a tough place.

Sometimes, there are things you can't fix. Either it may not be fixable, or you just may not have the tools to fix it. Either way, it's the same outcome.

I don't know if you have kids, but if so, you need to think of your family and their welfare. I would never advocate keeping a potentially aggressive dog in a home with kids. ...or anywhere it might come in to contact with them.

Bob

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
they mentioned they have an 18 month old and hoping for more.

It is strange having such a young dog act out that aggressively and i would think it would be a harder fix. I also wouldn't have an aggressive dog with a toddler, its not worth it. Its sad, but you were trying to help the dog and it is more than you bargained for and its understandable to rehome or take him to the shelter.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
I think the first thing I would do would be to take him to the vet, and make sure he didn't get injured somehow in the fight. Even some of the sweetest dogs will act out when they are in pain. Not all types of injuries will be visible just by looking at him.

If that's not the case, and you are afraid to deal with him, it's understandable if you decide to get rid of him - especially with young kids around.

If you do get another dog, make sure to train and socialize it well so hopefully nothing like this happens again.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry I haven't responded guys. I finally found a home that I thought would be right for him. They have no kids, which is good and I am able to visit him once he is better behaved. They said they have experience with when dogs go "bad", and that they would take real good care of him. They also brought a muzzle, so I was able to cuddle him for a little bit which was nice. Watching him leave the front door and knowing he would never be "my dog" again hurt like ****. Not liking the quietness at all...whenever my daughter goes down for a nap..Blitzen would be running around and playing with his toys and making so much noise. Ugh...I want my baby back! I miss him SO much already. I know a new dog would solve the problem..but Blitzen's personality (before) was priceless..he was unique, he used to do the dumbest things that just cracked me up. They really are lucky to have him...even though he's not himself right now. No other dog will ever replace Blitzen's spot in my heart, even though I don't have him anymore. :'(

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And he wasn't injured during the last incident. The other dog wasn't even able to get on top of him or bite him or anything. Blitzen is pretty strong and can defend himself very well. I will be getting another dog mainly to keep myself busy and make life more enjoyable. But this time, I won't pick one off the streets..I learned my lesson, I know I won't be able to handle a street dog. The next pup/ dog will be a small one because I can deal with small dogs and it will probably be flown from down South...so it'll cost a fortune..but I don't really care. And my hubby is willing to spend the money to get him/ her here.
I've been looking to see if anyone flies their pups and I found a place called "Purdy Puppy"...has anyone ever heard of them?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well to start of, well done for trying to help a street dog, your very brave and have a good hart! :)

And having a 18 month old dribbler, it is wise too sadly hand him over.
We can all hope that he gets all the help he needs!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you! I know it was best for everybody..even Blitzen that he goes to someone who can handle him. But it feels SO empty now...I'm glad that I will be able to visit him though. Unfortunately there are LOTS and LOTS of street dogs where I live and the pound is FULL of dogs...you wouldn't believe how many dogs street dogs they have taken in. And there are no charities up here lol..feels like I've moved to the middle of nowhere. Sometimes, when I'm out, it feels like every which way I turn my head, I see a dog wandering around, going in garbage bins. It's really sad and heart breaking that people just let it happen. I mean if you get a dog, fix it so he/ she can't have any puppies that cannot be re-homed! I think there are more dogs than there are people here. It gets even worse when one follows you around and there's nothing you can do about it. I still have a bag of Blitzen's dog food which I think I'm going to leave outside somewhere a little farther away from where I live. At least some dogs will be fed for a little while.
The next time I go out, I'm gonna take a picture of where all the dogs are kept and I'll post it here...BTW did I mention they are all kept OUTSIDE ALL the time tied up???? Yep.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
As for the website purdypuppy.com I think they're more of a puppy mill sort of deal. I wouldn't trust them. Any reputable breeder focuses in one breed or type. These ppl have toys, terriers and mixed terriers. Red flag IMO. Shelters ALWAYS have puppies and they're way cheaper than 550$ plus shipment. !! Classifieds also are a good way to go when ppl in a province closer to you than Ontario may have had an accidental litter. Anyways, whatever decision you make just make sure its the right one :)

** Let me update, upon checking out the site more I find that it it is not a mill. "breeders'' place these pups into the companies hans to sell? Reputable breeders want to MEET in person the potential owner of their puppies. Breeders who give up rights to a third party to sell disconnects them from the sale therefore who knows what genetic malfunctions or disease are in the homes of the breeders?! PurdyPuppy also gets to choose the vet the puppy sees ?? Bribes in hand perhaps? A dog owner should ALWAYS have the rights to choose his own vet. A breeder may suggest one but then they should also have updated records for potential buyers at point of sale too. Seems like they're also separating themselves from any legal responsibility if anything happens to the puppy as well... I would avoid them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts