Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I don't need more rats. I have PLENTY of rats. I know, I know, I know. I don't know what's wrong with me. I have this sick addiction. I'll probably never stop until someday you all see me on animal police and the officer knocks on my door and says, "Ma'am, we have reports that you are keeping 734 rats here." "Officer", I will argue,"all 734 are very well cared for!" As though that argument sounds really sane! Anyway, as you may have gathered we have two new additions. More rescue rats. I do comfort myself and my husband by remembering that several of our rats are rescue rats and therefore may be eventually rehomed. We have successfully rehomed a few in the past. We'll just have to see.

Anyway, these two girls had been in the local petstore too long and were about to go to the feeder bin (a story that should sound familiar to all of you.) For whatever reason they have not sold and are no longer as adorable and non-threatening looking as their cute cuddly baby counterparts so the petstore had more or less given up on selling them as pets. I don't know exactly how old they are. They are very active and in good shape and everything but are quite large for females, so anyone's guess really. They had been at that store for 2-3 months already.

So anyway, I agreed to hold them and check them out, checked for porphyrin, heavy breathing, etc, everything was clear. And they are sooo sweet to be that old and still in a petstore. They are downright cuddly. Here's the weirdest thing though. I've never seen anything like them. They are a very blue shade of gray but on their heads and bodies they have small brown agouti patches throughout. One of them has the same gray base with agouti patches on her belly, the other one has a white belly and feet. They look like rusted steel. They have been named Rusty and Ragamuffin (Muffin) and are enjoying their new home so far. But has anyone ever seen anything like what I'm describing?

·
Zippy Chickenshorts
1,762 Posts
Congratulations on the new boysies!! LOL, GGMR is very hard to avoid!! A reasent story in the paper over here was that someones neighbours were complaining about a very bad smell coming from next door. After so many complaints, the police went to check out what was worng and they found some what over a thousand pet rats in her home. Mad. LOL
I have never heard of any colour like your new boys, but they sound like two of a kind hehe.
xxx

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
CongRATS! I always suffer from GGMR.
They may be a roan or something.Do you have any pictures?

·
Dinky Gerbilelbow
2,425 Posts
I have no idea but they sound GORGEOUS and i am on your page with the whole GGMR thing i have 12 currently and still NEED more!! I dunno what it is but i just cant resist those little fuzzbutts i am actually starting to think its a medical condition LMAO! xxxx

·
Zippy Chickenshorts
1,762 Posts
I know this sounds weird, but I thought it actually was a medical condition LOL
But only because I saw on a website they said it was GGMR 'syndrome' hehehe, siwwiee me :D
xxx

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Thats funny,cause when I mention it...people sometimes think I am talking about a real medical condition.However I am starting to think it is too! :D

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
they sound beautiful!! i demand pics!! lol

·
Dinky Gerbilelbow
2,425 Posts
Yeah i seriously think it is you know! My hubby thinks i'm mad but i told him some people get addicted to drink and drugs and i just so happen to be addicted to rats its a habit i cant and WONT kick lol xxxxxxx

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't have pics yet, I've been kinda leaving them alone to settle in, but I'll definitely get some tonight! They're very cool little girlies!

Okay so we've established it's a valid medical/mental health condition, next step--where do I get the pills that make it stop?!?

·
Dinky Gerbilelbow
2,425 Posts
Thing is hun would you want the pills to make it stop??? I know i wouldnt lol i love the little fuzzbutts and i wouldnt ever wanna stop wanting and NEEDING more lol. Someone could offer me a million pound for my rats and i would turn them down flat without even having to think about it lol xxx

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No i probably wouldn't want it to. My husband on the other hand would probably love for it to at least slow down! It may be best for my marriage if I get the pills!

·
Dinky Gerbilelbow
2,425 Posts
LOL noooooooo i tell ya what ya wanna do.......just make him the same!!! Then you can be married and have a house full to the brim with ratties lol. My hubby loves them just as much as me so i'm ok lol xx

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hmm there for a while when we had 30 something and we were supplementary hand feeding the little tykes it was a bit overwhelming. I will admit that I am not anywhere as into them as she is. I don't have to have a rat on me at all times and there are some times that I would just prefer to not be holding one at all. I do think that it is always best if we keep the numbers under some kind of control. We are barely making all our payments on everything as is and the more bedding and food costs for all the animals the harder that will get. I think our line is somewhere in the range of 20 or just under unless we have babies that the mommies are taking care of pretty well. So I guess it has to be my job to say no sometimes. But I have never seen rats like these so Oops.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts