Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want something that will fit in a 20 gallon long aquarium all its life.
im wondering would a corn snake be ok in there? im not aloud to have any pythons..
and could i keep a rat in there? maybe 2 rats? i dont know. im just trying to get a list of things i can get that i can keep in there.
(sorry if this is the wrong place for this)

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Leopard geckos, Rankin's dragons (like mini beardies!), African Fat Tailed geckos, corn snakes, hog nose snakes, Kenyan sand boa, a hamster...

No ratties though. They can't live an an aquarium, because they need more ventilation otherwise they have a pretty high chance of getting a URI.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ugh i hate hamsters.. :( is there any other kind of small furry animal that i could keep in it ?

but wow those look just like the baby bearded dragons they have at the petstore here!
are there any geckos with a normal tail i could get cause i really dont like how their tails are all big i think it looks gross idk.. lol

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Mice?

Aren't the Rankins adorable!! They stay under 12" I think. :D They're kinda hard to find though, I've never actually seen one!

And a crested or gargoyle would work if you turned it on its side. Anoles would work too, and you could look up the requirements of some house geckos or day geckos.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i heard anoles dont like to be handled ? but they have 2 kinds at my petsmart.. theyre really cheap like 6 or 7 dollars. o_O but wow house geckos are wild down here!! :) i was wondering what they were. day geckos are really pretty.

i think im prolly gonna end up getting a corn snake though.. ive wanted one ever since i was a lil girl and i wasnt aloud to get one cause my mom doesnt like reptiles and i was to young to fully care for them.. but now i can so i think im gonna get one! :D i just wonder what color i should get.. hmm

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
20 gallons seems kinds of small for anything to live its entire life in o_O Unless its supplemented with like 10 hours of out time a day. I don't know, I don't to cage anything really but it seems small.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
For a little gecko or something it's more than the "minimum" requirements. :) Snakes aren't always as comfortable in huge cages either.

Oh, hermit crabs! I have 7 hermies in my 20 gal.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I want something that will fit in a 20 gallon long aquarium all its life.
im wondering would a corn snake be ok in there? im not aloud to have any pythons..
and could i keep a rat in there? maybe 2 rats? i dont know. im just trying to get a list of things i can get that i can keep in there.
(sorry if this is the wrong place for this)
A 20 gallon is big enough for several animals...NO rats though,not only because of ventilation,but rats like to climb and LOVE hammocks and in a tank you cannot hang hammocks or have ladders and such.

A pair of mice could happily live in a 20 gallon. A gerbil could. A hamster could too. I have mice living in a 33 and a 29 gallon tank right now,but I used to have mice in a 15 gallon which is a little smaller then a 20.

Just curious...why do you hate hamsters?

20 gallons are perfect for a lot of reptiles...fat tail, leopard...etc,etc. An anole could live in it.

Or something like a scorpion,tarantula or other invert.

There are a lot of options.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A 20 gallon is big enough for several animals...NO rats though,not only because of ventilation,but rats like to climb and LOVE hammocks and in a tank you cannot hang hammocks or have ladders and such.

A pair of mice could happily live in a 20 gallon. A gerbil could. A hamster could too. I have mice living in a 33 and a 29 gallon tank right now,but I used to have mice in a 15 gallon which is a little smaller then a 20.

Just curious...why do you hate hamsters?

20 gallons are perfect for a lot of reptiles...fat tail, leopard...etc,etc. An anole could live in it.

Or something like a scorpion,tarantula or other invert.

There are a lot of options.
hmm.. do u breed mice or anything ??
but cuz they bite and i can never hold them and i want a pet i can hold :( the only time ive not been bitten is when my moms ex had a pair of hamsters.

anyways ive gotten a snake today :) a corn snake

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Nope,I don't breed anything.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I do know about breeding mice,yes.
And yeah,feeder breeders often use the plastic totes for breeding.
I am not sure if PET mouse breeders do,though? I know some pet rat breeders who use the tote method though.

Why? Are you interested in breeding?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah i am. i figure itll save me money feeding my snake and then i can have some nice pet mice to :) win win situation if u ask me
someone told me i would have to feed it rats later and i dont think im gonna be able to breed those to feed to him.. rats are just to cute for me to feed to a snake

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
yeah i am. i figure itll save me money feeding my snake and then i can have some nice pet mice to :) win win situation if u ask me
someone told me i would have to feed it rats later and i dont think im gonna be able to breed those to feed to him.. rats are just to cute for me to feed to a snake
Just make sure you can stomach killing the mice as I would NOT feed live mice to a corn snake.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Oh okay. I understand. I decided if I ever get a snake,I would breed my own feeders as well. Feeders from pet stores are very expensive here.

Just make sure you can stomach killing the mice as I would NOT feed live mice to a corn snake.
I second this!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm gonna have my mom help me kill them first.. She said to put them in a sandwich bag and put them in the freezer ? is that a good way or ...

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
No, that's a pretty cruel way of doing it. That will kill them slowly.

You want to either break their necks or kill them with CO2 gas. (I think it's CO2? It's CO-something...)

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
Breeding your own mice really isnt economical unless you have a lot of snakes/reptiles eating. You'll have to maintain to cages (one for male, one for female) and provide bedding and food for both cages. Frozen mie pinkies are dirt cheap, especially in bulk. You're not going to be able to do it cheaper, and it sounds like you won't be able to it as humanely either.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Would snap traps work? Just pop one in the cage then instant BAM they're dead then feed it? I can see if you want to keep them as pets its somwhat cheap to keep, I mean- lots of bedding and food you have around the house anyway. Toilet paper tubes, scrap blankets, flower pots- all these things to keep them as stimulated happy pets.
****But DEFINITELY don't put them in the freezer, it could take hours for them to die! *****

I guess if you have a supply near and cheap enough you could easily just buy them already dead. It saves you the grief. Also, can I add here (and this is my opinion) but if you wanted a corn snake so bad, you should have been prepared to deal with dead things. Either kill them yourself or buy already dead ones :/ (no offense intended, just critical feedback)

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
I don't think snap traps would work for killing pinkies though, which is what she'll probably need to feed a small corn snake for awhile. I've never heard of using snap traps to kill feeder mice.

Putting them in the freezer, like others have said, is not a humane way of killing them.

You can buy frozen feeders in bulk. Either online and have them shipped to you, or ask around at local pet stores. Then you don't have to worry about buying food every week, and don't have to deal with raising and killing them yourself.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts