Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
I'm not weird, I'm gifted
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UNGH - I am SO tired people giving their kids animals, then the animals start to breed, and the kid have absolutely no idea what's going on.

So this girl is 15... I know a lot of 15 year olds can be very mature but this is besides the point in this case...
Well, she's got 2 chinchillas, and breeding them. The girl has no clue as to what she is doing. The chinchillas are allowed outside (not the best ting here because of the weather). The male got to breed the female right after she gave birth, because she didn't know this could happen. Actually they didn't know the female was pregnant in the first time.
One of the kits eats at moms whiskers, and she gets a bit "wobbly".
Dad has pee all over himself, he has diarrhea and problems with controlling his back legs. She doesn't even know that you should never use plastic as a toy for chinchillas. She ask about some weird things like what kind of wood can be used. Normally I wouldn't think much of such a question, but when breeding the animals it sounds a bit strange to me that you don't even know just the most basic "yes" and "no" chewtoys/woodtoys.

I am so SICK of this. What's up with people just getting animals? And animals for a 15 year old?
It seams like the girl has 1 dog, 3 gerbil and 2 chinchillas + 2 kits... Might just be me, but I do not know that many kits who would have much time for breeding animals, while taking care of "their own" young dog.

It sounds like something's very wrong with the male chinchilla, but the parents only use one specific vet because he knows a lot about the breed of dog they have, and this girl thinks you need to use the same vet for all your animals...
I'm kinda thinking "WTF"? The animals is sick, her parents should do every thing to find out what the heck is wrong with the animal... The vet just told her to give him some time - he can't use his fre****g bag legs correctly.

Sorry - it got a bit long. I'm just so annoyed with every one breeding. And I do honestly not understand why breeders keep selling to kids under the age of at least 16. It's illegal for petstores to sell to kids under the age of 16...

·
Registered
626 Posts
I think it should be illegal to sell live animals to anyone under the age of 21. Kids, and lots of adults, just don't think that they will actually have to care for an animal, and pay for vet trips and such. Its just too bad. There's so much abuse and neglect going on, and not much anyone can do about it. I just wish there was an entirely different stigma for owning an animal, its like adopting a child.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Oh I don't think there should be an age limit put on owning an animal....I think there should be a test(think driver's test) that you must pass in order to get a liscence, before owning a pet.

There is no excuse for not being well-educated on animals these days - we have the internet, which means knowledge is just a google search away.

I think a lot of parents let their kids have pets because they think it will teach them responsibility. To have a pet of their own that they must clean their habitat, feed them, make sure they have water, and interact or otherwise create a social environment for them, parents attribute that to responsibility. And in the cases of some parents...if the animal dies, oh well, maybe _____(insert kid's name here) learned something from it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with teaching a young child to take care of a pet. To teach them how to handle them properly, how to clean the cage, etc...but for god's sake, don't make it soley their responsibility! That's just asking for a dead critter. Kids have short attention spans; the new hamster serves as a fascinating choice for teaching responsibility for a few days, but then the child gets distracted by something else. It's not their fault, but they're still young and they have a whole world to explore.

As far as pre-teens, they have very busy schedules...even more so if their schedule goes beyond school and school work into clubs, sports, and if the kid has any sort of social life, there's no time for the pet, especially if it's a pet that likes to be solitary and depends on the interaction with their human, like a hamster. I mean, I'm not disregarding the critters that are social with their own kind, it was just an example. Me? I didn't have much of a social life, so having a hamster during my school years was perfectly fine, lol.

But yeah, I totally understand.

·
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got my first chinchilla when I was 11. I had seen some a few years earlier, and had wanted one for a couple of years, when I finally got the chance. My parents made it very clear what the terms was.
He was my animal, but they did buy every thing he needed, and payed when he needed to go to the vet. They also helped me out in the beginning and so on.
He died about 6 months ago...
Like you Flickering, I didn't have much of a social life, so I had no problem with time for the animal... And I've just always been a bit weird, so I think it was kinda healthy for me to have a pet I could bond with.

I've had an incident with this one girl I sold some kits to, and now I just wont sell to anyone under the age of 18, as long as I do not know the person personally.
It might seam harsh, but at 18 you are legally responsible here, so if there's a problem there's a chance the police can do something. They hardly ever do something if it's a miner.

Like a couple of years ago 4-5 boys sat fire to and beat a GP with a golf club.
First time around they just got probation, but luckily this was appealed so they got a bit fine, probation and may not own animals anymore.
The first sentence was just so stupid.

OT I know :)

I guess that in the big picture I do not mind that kits get animals. But I do mind when kits start breeding. And I get so mad when the parents do not seem to care when the animals get sick.
I know you can earn your own money when you are 15, but the animal shouldn't suffer just to teach a kit a lesson...

Just like stupid, stupid parents who set their rabbits "free" because their kids need to learn they do not need to put them down - what about a shelter?
*grr*
Yes, I actually do know of some people who sat their rabbits free, because they wanted to show their kids how to be nice to animals if you do not want them anymore.

·
Registered
626 Posts
And children abusing animals is also a sign of mental illness or disturbed children. Its so wierd that parents would want to support that behavior with bad breeding techniques, neglect, and sometimes abuse. Like, way to go mom and dad, that sure teaches your child about the importance of caring and life itself.

·
Headlock
680 Posts
I think really young kids if they want something living as a pet start off with a plant. I'm sick of seeing ads on site selling animals because there kid got bored or etc. I'm 17 and I breed birds so its not every teen that don't know what there doing.

·
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure if it's a sign of mental illness or a disturbed child.
Some times the parents simply do not teach the children that life is important. They just think it's fun and a game...

·
Registered
201 Posts
i totally agree with the test being given. People just let anyone have pets and its sickning what happens because people don't realize.

·
Registered
201 Posts
how bout better yet we put the people who abuse or are just to ignorant to listen to advice on an island...maybe with sharks surround it so they don't have any chance of getting off. Everytime someone abuses, they get sent there lol.

·
Lovin' my pack!
774 Posts
I agree an age limit is a bit harsh,especially 21...you can do everything legally at 18.But it is ultimatlely a parents choice to get their kid a pet,and it bothers me too to see ads for pets being rehomed because the kid "grew up" and wanted nothing to do with it.

My brother is an example of that..

My mom started breeding cockers when I was 14,my brother was 15.Still young,in school,but ended up taking care of 5 of them.He did ok until he got to that age where his friends became more important than coming home and taking care of them.my younger sisters took on his responsibilities,and my mom ended up ending her business because there were just too many for her to care for herself.She got rid of all of them!! even 3 of MY 5!! I fought to keep a mother daughter pair.4 generations in those dogs was why.My one was hit by a train,the mom lived til 12 1/2,and I took her when i moved out and on with my life.I would have done that with all 5 if I still had them..

Point is,you really gotta know the individual kid before deciding whether it is a good idea to get them a pet that won't end up being rehomed or worse yet,killed!Age shouldn't matter!

·
Registered
201 Posts
No..bring them to our island then they get shoved INTO the water. Lol. with handcuffs on, so they can't ward off the sharks by jabbing them in the gills or poking them in the eyes or punching their noses.

hahahahaha yes thats a much better idea lol.

Yeah I agree age shouldnt matter. The persons maturity is what matters. I have seen 15 year olds more mature and better able to care for animals then someone in their 30s. I also think education classes should be available as well. Classes for how to properly care for these animals. I think many of us on this forum could be the teachers ;)

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Thats horrible! Poor chinnies! :(
I think that there should be more of a "test", than an age limit... Im 16, and the onle pet Ive ever rehomed is a Ring Neck Parakeet I found in my yard, because I didnt have enough room for a decent sized cage. He was someone elses pet that had been "let go". I would love to have him back if I had the room, but he is in a good home.
Even if I get a little "bored" of a pet, I still take great care of them and everything untill they pass on. I admit Im not as into my hermit crabs as I used be be, but that doesnt mean in going to dump them on someone else.

·
Registered
201 Posts
see thats the mature thing to do :) If only all kids and teenagers and even some adults would do that. They always think, if I get bored I will get rid of that pet. Usually when that happens they get a new pet. But then its only a matter of time before they get rid of that pet too. Which is why researching any animal your interested in having before getting is a good idea. Know how long they live and what their proper care requirments are. If your the type who is bound to get bored or lose interest then get a pet you either don't have to handle much or one that doesnt live long. That girl I was telling you all about in my venting thread does that. She even said shes better off having animals that dont live long cuz she gets bored easily. Which is a shame, it really is. I dunno why she has 3 cats when she gets bored with animals. Cats should live 15-18 or more years. But whatever...bah....i am so done with people like her. I spent way to many years trying my best to be a good friend, not just with animals either. All i ever did was bail her out of her pet trouble and give her advice that was always ignored, I got lied to as well. So I am done with people like that. Even though I care deeply about the care her animals in the future will get I wont be the one to bail her out.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Cats are actually supposed to live around 30 years, but due to poor diet and other circumstances, their lives are cut in half, sometimes more. But that's besides the point..

I was at the pet store a while ago, holding a rabbit, and this kid about 9-11 comes up to me and talks about how cute she is, and asking to hold her, and I told him I wasn't sure that was a good idea, because they're not really pets for kids and he looks me straight in the eyes, dead serious, and states very firmly, "I know how to take care of rabbits."

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
LOL! Did you question him any further? :p
The sad thing is, I bet his response would have been something like "You put them outside in a hutch, and give them rabbit pellets- The kind with pretty shapes!- and water."

I like longer-lived pets, because I dont like them to die LOL! I like getting pets knowing they will be around for a while :D

·
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That page speaks about how outdoor cats live shorter lives than indoor cats.
In my personal experience outdoor cats get much older than indoor cats. But then again, out biggest predator is the badger, and I think most cats only get to meet the red fox, and a normal size cat can easily scare away a fox :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts