Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I was at the grocery store today and some of those cartons of soy milk caught my eye and I remembered some posts on the rat forum before that mentioned soy milk or some kind of soy formula that some of you have given your rat kids?

I remember that soy is SO good for rats but I am a bit hazy on the soy milk thing...is there a good rule of thumb for what to give your rats? Concerning soy milk...how much, how often and do you mix it in with other foods or anything specific? I swear I thought Lilspaz might have mentioned "soy formula" before but I could have misunderstood.

I did not want to just grab soy milk off the shelf and pour it over dry oatmeal or something without being informed!! :hehe:
I like to do things right and not do them on a whim, for the safety of my babies. Any advice or tips?

Also, I wanted to add some variety to the dry treats I give my babies (dry oats and cheerios are winners so far) and start introducing some new items, and of course I saw some organic kashi type cereal that listed soy flakes as part of the mix so I thought, "Great!" and then I saw that the second ingredient in the cereal was CORN. Hmmm....soy good, corn, not so good?

And what about kamut vs. puffed rice? Both good, or is one of those preferred for health reasons regarding ratties?

Any advice from my informed ratty moms?
Love to you all and forgive my hand wringing,
Nitpicky-bordering-on-overanalyzing Vladdie Rat Mama :tonguerol

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I'm sorry I can't be of much help regarding the soy products, since I've never had any. I do seem to recall a rat website that talked about giving soy nuts to rats, though...

Since I made my boys' dry food mix from scratch, they always had puffed rice and puffed wheat. I got the organic "Arrowhead Mills" brand of both. I did try kamut once, but they weren't quite into it. They loved the rice and wheat, though. I also gave them mini shredded wheats as part of their daily dry mix, and they totally loved that. (And, of course, you can't go wrong with a daily spiral pasta...it's a good snack and it helps to wear down their teeth, too!) :D

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, thanks Breyer! I cannot for the life of me remember what I fed Klausse and Wolfgang for their dry mix/cereals so I forgot if wheat was okay for them. I thought I remembered that rice and wheat are good, but corn products not so much.

I gave our new babies dry spiral pasta right off the bat and amazingly, Maximus did not care for it at all! I have never heard of a rat that did not like dry pasta! But Achilles loved it. I think Achilles loves ANY food...he is going to be a chunky monkey. :lol:

Thanks for the tips!!

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
I gave my rats rawhides they thought that was pretty awesome. They would go crazy draging it around and chewing on it for weeks.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I have heard of people giving their rats rawhide and even low protein dog biscuits. :)

Breyer, as a P.S. on the dry pasta...after finding out that Maxie did not like dry pasta (weird!) I ended up cooking the pasta, then chilling it in the fridge in a small tupperware (same thing I used to do with Klausse and Wolfie) and they LOVE having a cold chewy piece of pasta! Of course, that does nothing to help grind their teeth down eh? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Oh, Vlad, one way to get them used to the dry pasta spirals is to cook it first! I actually had to do that for Russ in the beginning, until he realized it was good stuff! :D

And here's my dry mix, which worked really well for them:
-mini shredded wheat
-puffed rice
-puffed wheat
-cornflakes

Supplemented with rolled oats and a pasta spiral for breakfast. :)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
:lol: :lol: We wrote the same thing at the same time!!! hahaha! Yes, cooking the pasta is a great way to get them used to it. I bet that he'll eat it dry once he realizes he likes it cooked! :D

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ha ha! Yeah we did! That was funny!

Yes, I was preparing to try the dry pasta on Max again now that he loves the cooked chewy version. Such a great snack for their little toothies. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts