Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always wanted a cat! I found a breeder in washington for Sphynx. I really want one but need to know everything I can before I do. Does anybody know anything about this breed of cat?:confused: :)

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Thats about all I know, lol!

· Registered
484 Posts
I really dont feel like helping on this subject right now...but...oh well :tyvm: Looks like Im the only one who knows stuff about this subject anyway..so far.

They have hair but its only fuzz.
They can cause allergies to act up.
They get cold easily and like to cuddle.
They are very social and can be taught to walk on the leash.
They get sunburned easily -- cats dont where sunscreen though.
As I know you got rid of your GSD because of shedding..I sure hope you dont end up getting rid of the cat because of the small amount of fuzz on its body.

Look it up on Google. That will give you more information.

· Registered
3,271 Posts
I can help you out by giving links...I like that type of kitty as well!! :lol: I'm confused why LuvMeBre said she don't feel like helping on the subject right now,& that she was the only one who knew stuff on the subject anyway ...so far :confused: LuvMeBre,you were quite a bit rude IMO...

I'll actually attempt to help you out here :D...

-Like most pets,they aren't 100% hypoallergenic.BUT people with cat allergies can keep this breed sometimes without it triggering the allergen. They are more tolerable.(but there are a select few with bad allergies that will also be allergic to this breed).Majority of sites I visited said they are more tolerable.Some said they were worse.So can't say whether they are or not for sure based on that,so I apologize :shrug: :sorry:
-You can dress them up!! :lol: If your cold,this cat is probably feeling really cold as well ;)
-They are costly.As in...over $1000 per cat,pet quality.
-People who are trying to charge extra due to the cat's eye color,are just trying to steal your money.
-Breeders usually alter their cats before selling. (so i've been reading)
-You have to bathe this breed regularly,due to their lack of coat ;)
-Their personalities rate as some of the best.Very sociable,affectionate & smart!

Cat Fanciers' Association: Breed Profile: Sphynx

sphynx cat & kittens-Pretty Bald Sphynx & Devon Rex kitten***

Sphynx (cat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Sphynx

Hope I was @ least a bit of help =)

· Registered
1,257 Posts
Is that what Mr.Bigglesworth was?? "No no Mini Me we do not knaw on our kitties." Gotta love Dr. Evil!!

Bald Mr. Bigglesworth I mean:)

· Registered
484 Posts
Sorry, we were friends and were in a fight at the time so... thats why... :eek: I am usually not rude..lol

candyraver said:
I can help you out by giving links...I like that type of kitty as well!! :lol: I'm confused why LuvMeBre said she don't feel like helping on the subject right now,& that she was the only one who knew stuff on the subject anyway ...so far :confused: LuvMeBre,you were quite a bit rude IMO...

I'll actually attempt to help you out here :D...

-Like most pets,they aren't 100% hypoallergenic.BUT people with cat allergies can keep this breed sometimes without it triggering the allergen. They are more tolerable.(but there are a select few with bad allergies that will also be allergic to this breed).Majority of sites I visited said they are more tolerable.Some said they were worse.So can't say whether they are or not for sure based on that,so I apologize :shrug: :sorry:
-You can dress them up!! :lol: If your cold,this cat is probably feeling really cold as well ;)
-They are costly.As in...over $1000 per cat,pet quality.
-People who are trying to charge extra due to the cat's eye color,are just trying to steal your money.
-Breeders usually alter their cats before selling. (so i've been reading)
-You have to bathe this breed regularly,due to their lack of coat ;)
-Their personalities rate as some of the best.Very sociable,affectionate & smart!

Cat Fanciers' Association: Breed Profile: Sphynx

sphynx cat & kittens-Pretty Bald Sphynx & Devon Rex kitten***

Sphynx (cat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Sphynx

Hope I was @ least a bit of help =)

· RAT ADDICT
19,823 Posts
I love spynx cats...I am not a cat person,but love this breed...then again,I adore hairless animals! I wanna add,the spynx is the only Canadian breed of kitty,the first was born in Ontario!

· Registered
40 Posts
These cats do require a bit more work than other cats because of their lack of fur...though not too much. The main thing you have to do is protect the cat from the elements, and bathe the cat more often...because the oils that the cat's skin produces just collect on the skin, making the feline quite oily...and you have to be careful what shampoo you use -- a lot of owners use gentle baby shampoos, and will also use baby lotion on the cat after the baths to avoid dry skin. I've heard of places you can get sunblock made for them, though I've yet to see it. Who knows if it DOES exist or not, maybe something to google search for?

· Registered
1,257 Posts
There was an ad in the classifieds for them and they were $1200. Ouch!! That is the extent of my knowledge.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LuvMeBre said:
I really dont feel like helping on this subject right now...but...oh well :tyvm: Looks like Im the only one who knows stuff about this subject anyway..so far.

They have hair but its only fuzz.
They can cause allergies to act up.
They get cold easily and like to cuddle.
They are very social and can be taught to walk on the leash.
They get sunburned easily -- cats dont where sunscreen though.
As I know you got rid of your GSD because of shedding..I sure hope you dont end up getting rid of the cat because of the small amount of fuzz on its body.

Look it up on Google. That will give you more information.
YA! That was a punch to me! Sorry guys!

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys! I am looking at a breeder that I really like LOVE, really! I am trying to get my mom to say yes! My dad has said yes, but I have to pay for one! I am amazed that i am trying to convince my mom! She is a cat person! LOL

· Registered
40 Posts
I used to want a Sphynx cat myself...did a good bit of research on them, though I found out that the peachfuzz-like fur they do have is still possibly bothersome to people with cat allergies, so I had to give up on having one. At first I thought I'd found a way around not being able to have a cat in my household; I was mistaken though. Sadness... :(

...Good luck in convincing mom though! I wasn't able to do the same myself, though best of luck to you! :D

· RAT ADDICT
19,823 Posts
Good luck convincing your mom.Maybe she just don't like that the cats are nekkid.My mom is a HUGE cat lover,but dislikes this breed because they are nekkid and she thinks hairless animals are ugly...me...well I ADORE them!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.