Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke to my vet about the problems I have been having trying to introduce Squid to the other boys. She agreed that neutering him might help so I've made an appointment for his surgery on Monday, Jan. 26. I'll be dropping him off in the morning and he'll be having a check-up to make sure he's healthy and strong enough for surgery. If he gets the go then he'll be having the surgery later that day and I will pick him up one or two days later. For those who wonder about the cost of neutering, it's supposed to cost $270 (USD) which includes a 2-day hospitalization and also a recheck appointment one week later. That fee does not include any extra medications he might need afterward.

So, that's the plan for right now. Hopefully it will work out and he will finally get to live with other rats. If I still can't intro him, maybe I'll get him a nice little female to live with, who knows? :rolleyes:

·
Zippy Chickenshorts
1,762 Posts
Awwww, my gawwd!! Good Luck!!
I bet your really nervous!!
At least he'll be able to live with the others and it will be worth your money!
Luv ya
Give Squid some kisses for me!
xxxx

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aw, yeah, the poor little guy is gonna have his manhood taken away. :rolleyes: It's for the best though. He needs to have a buddy to live with, one way or another.

Thanks guys, I will keep you updated!

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Today is the day!!

I dropped my little guy off at the vet this morning before work. His surgery is this afternoon. I will be stopping by to see him tonight after work, but he's gonna have to stay at the vet until tomorrow. I'm so anxious, I hope everything goes well!

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Wow really really expensive.

My wonderful vet charges $160 plus meds and taxes in Canada., :)
I am dropping off Dudley on Friday morning, the surgery will be done between 11 am and 1 pm (I call at 1 pm to see how things went, I can never wait until the clinic calls me :rolleyes:). The surgery takes 10-15 mins tops for her and I even know how she does it (scrotal with one incision, surgical glue, etc). He gets pain meds before and after the surgery. He wakes up, will be a bit groggy but will be fine when I come to get him at 5-6 pm that night. :) I take him home to his cage now bedded in fleece (if he has companions he goes right back in unless he is being bothered). 12-24 hours later he usually gets 1 dose of metacam orally and some rats I will give baytril to for 7 days to prevent infection. Most boys are a bit sleepy because of the anesthetic and practically normal on the end of the next day. Unless you are Dilbert or Goliath where you bounce and play as soon as you get home LOLOL

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He didn't make it. :(

They said he was doing well until the very end when his heart rate dropped and they tried to resuscitate him but couldn't. I'm so devastated. :cry:

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
He didn't make it. :(

They said he was doing well until the very end when his heart rate dropped and they tried to resuscitate him but couldn't. I'm so devastated. :cry:
Oh honey!!!! I am so sorry :(
Was he older or sick or something?

This happened to a friend of mine on Friday. WE think her boy had an underlying unsuspected heart condition :(

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He was only 6 months old. He had a rough start to life, but was doing really well lately. I would never have scheduled it if I didn't think he was healthy, and I even made sure the vet gave him a check up before the surgery to make sure he was ready. :( I feel so awful.

·
Animal-Holic
67 Posts
I was staring at a blank reply box for five minutes. i'm so sorry about your furry... if you need someone to talk to, pm me

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
I'm sorry about your sweet rattie. Big hugs!

·
Zippy Chickenshorts
1,762 Posts
Awww, I'm soo sorry to hear about Squid, I never expected this to happen
:(
xxxxxxx

·
Registered
754 Posts
Wow. This is such a shock. You were trying to do the best for him-I'm sure he knew that. I am so sorry. I don't know what else to say but, I'm sorry. *hugs*

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.