Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone. I've had rats for a while, and I know that there is no way to keep them from smelling at all! but, this is my first time having boys instead of girls and it is definitely a bigger challenge to keep the smell under control.

does anyone have any suggestions for air fresheners that are safe to use near a cage, or ammonia absorbers, etc? anything like that. I change the bedding completely once a week, more often in their bathroom corner. is the best thing to do just give a major scrub down of cage once in a while?

the cage is not stinking up the whole room, or causing any health problems or anything, I'm just looking for anything more I can do. I like people to believe me when I say rats are great pets, and you know they will be checking for a smell!

thanks in advance!

·
laugh often
1,690 Posts
I put bio odor in my male rats water. It helps siome but not completely in my opinion. I get my bio odor from the petstore in the ferret section.

·
Fluffy Gerbilshorts
4,378 Posts
What kind of cage and what kind of bedding do you have? They can make a HUGE difference in the way the cage smells. I have noticed that some paper based products don't absorb the smell well. It's really hard to tell without you posting what kind of bedding and what kind of cage you have.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oops

yes, sorry about that, should have mentioned the details! I have them in a big bird cage that I fitted shelves into, and I'm using carefresh bedding.

·
Fluffy Gerbilshorts
4,378 Posts
How long have you had them? I personally am not impressed carefresh. I think Yesterday News works better...some people mix it with carefresh or aspen so you don't use it as quickly and so it's a little softer on ratties feeet.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have had them for almost a year. to be honest...they almost never touch the bedding! the only time they leave their hammock is for play time, to grab food from the bowl, or to go to the bathroom. I will give Yesterday's News a try, though, I'm almost out of bedding anyway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've also noticed that the brown/cardboard-colored Carefresh has kind of a funny smell to it. The white Carefresh doesn't have that same smell, but it costs more. That's interesting about Yesterdays News. Good to know that it absorbs odor better. Do rodents like nesting in it as much as they do in the Carefresh?

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I've also noticed that the brown/cardboard-colored Carefresh has kind of a funny smell to it. The white Carefresh doesn't have that same smell, but it costs more. That's interesting about Yesterdays News. Good to know that it absorbs odor better. Do rodents like nesting in it as much as they do in the Carefresh?
It's kind of hard for rodents to nest in Yesterday's News because it's more of a litter then a bedding. It looks like small pellets.

For rodents who like to build nests and burrow I usually mix it with Carefresh or aspen shavings.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks, Stephanie. I think I might try mixing. Maybe my hamster would like some. She likes to root through her litter box. It has "potty litter" in it.

·
Fluffy Gerbilshorts
4,378 Posts
If you like them to burrow (I have lazy man rats that only sleep in their hammocks) some eco bedding mixed with some other type of bedding might help you out....

I personally think the gray carefresh smells A LOT more then the white does. Also if you are getting YN get it from the kitty litter isle. It's the same stuff but cheaper and in a bigger bag. I don't know what kind of cage you have but you will use a good bit of the YN in just one filling if you aren't mixing it.

Ecobedding is a bedding for them to burrow in. It's just recycled crinkled paper. Be warned though you might find yourself sweeping it up a lot more, and you'll find the crinkles everywhere. It is pretty awesome though because the poops and pee soak to the bottom so it pretty much stays completely dry on top. The wetness on your carefresh is probably what is smelling the most.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I use Yesterdays News and aspen and usually mix the two.It absorbs well and the aspen provides some softness on the rats feet.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Ive never heard of yesterdays news and trust me I check up and down the rows to look at all the bedding!

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Ive never heard of yesterdays news and trust me I check up and down the rows to look at all the bedding!
It is sold in the cat litter aisle!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Cat litter??? Wow I would have never thought of looking in the cat litter isle! I will be sure to check next time! Do they sell it at petsmart or petco?

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Yep,because it was originally sold for cat litter.But it works wonderful for rodents and many rodent owners use it.

They recently started selling the same product marked for rodents,BUT selling it for alot more.Go for the "cat" kind because it is cheaper and both are the same product anyway.

I am sure Petco or Petsmart would have it.We don't have those stores here,so I am not sure...but it is worth a try.

I usually get large bags of it at my local grocery stores in the pet aisle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts