Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok a neibors daughter found a little stray black kitten last night, so low and behold I have a new house guest. (we are thinking of naming him leon S kitty) Well I notcied he has a problem with his eyes. Its hard to exsplain, the inner lid is like half way out, I will hold him and he will try to look at me sideways and it wont open all the way. they look week. All he has done since I brought him home last night is sleep. He was covered in fleas and his gums where really light colored. He got flea meds on him and they are gone, he isnt eating to well (not suprised in a new enviorment) also it looks like some jerk got ahold of him on the 4th since most his whiskers are burnt short, one has a burnt area but he still seems to have feeling in it, when i touched it he pulled away. I am guessing his age at about 12 weeks. He is a little guy. He is not overly thin or anything. His eyes are just worring me. Does anyone have any idea what it might be?

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
He needs to go to a vet. There are many options as to why he's sick, but among them are a virus causing the eye issues, flea anemia, other viruses, etc. If you have cats, they need to remain separate. I would take him to a vet ASAP.

·
Registered
926 Posts
oh the poor little kitty, I'm glad hes come a visiting a friendly house.
Is there any fluid on the eye? I ask because one of my cats had an eye infection as a kitten and his eyelid stuck together. It turned out to be conjunctivitis and the vet gave us eyedrops which very expensively cleared it up.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
he has a vet appointment for in the morning, and no there is no fluid. Just the grey lids over the corners of his eyes. Its just weird.

·
Registered
926 Posts
let us know how he gets on, I'm curious as to what it is

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Are his gums still pale? How is he feeling? Will he eat? It may be that his 3rd eyelids are raised b/c he's shocky or just very sick.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they are pinker today then they were yesterday, but still a lot lighter then should be. He is very sleepy, but very lovey all he does is purr. I am trying to get him eat, I just cooked up a little chicken, (that he wouldnt eat) and I am about to go get some milk just see if he will more readily take that. He is drinking water though.

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Try warming some wet cat food, entice him to eat that. Or try some chicken baby food.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Jade the baby food worked like a charm! I had to put a little in his mouth, but after that he ate the entire jar! His eyes started looking a little better before we went to bed last night, and looked great this morning. Took him to the vet, vet said he is a little weak still, but seems ok other than that. His gums have pinked way up, a little ways to go yet but MUCH MUCH better than day 1. Basicly just have to watch and make sure he is eating and that his gums pink all the way up. He has a follow up in 2 weeks. (possibly to start shots! if everything goes right and the vet exspected him to be fine) He even meowed at me this morning! The vet also agreed with around 12 weeks.

·
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes
2,934 Posts
Oh I am so happy to hear he is doing better! I just love the baby food trick. That seems to work on all types of critters. Good luck with him. it's wonderful that he has such a great new mom!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
you could also try some cottage cheese to help fatten him up (if he needs it)

poor little kitty - people really shouldn't do fireworks if they don't know what they're doing. Kudos to you for taking such good care fo the little guy!

·
Registered
112 Posts
people really shouldn't do fireworks if they don't know what they're doing.
I have no clue as to what I am doing every year but havn't caught a cat on fire.I don't think a cat would go willingly within 10 feet of one, it sound like some one was rying to hurt him.:mad2: Well I a glad he found you.Speaking of black cats i have one living in my garage, i gotta get him out.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Pirateduck said:
I have no clue as to what I am doing every year but havn't caught a cat on fire.I don't think a cat would go willingly within 10 feet of one, it sound like some one was rying to hurt him.
you know enough to not hit animals, or people for that matter - that's enough for me! :)

some people are jerks and they think it's funny to try to set a living thing on fire... it's not right...

·
Registered
112 Posts
I know it gets me so mad.I think my cats were shot with a BB gun.I wish people could have more common scence.:fit: Hows the kitty by the by.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts