Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I'm not weird, I'm gifted
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving home on my MC today.
All of a sudden this cute medium sized dog (about retriver size), walks around in the side of the road.
It does have place for people to walk and use their bikes, but a dog on it's own in this place, is not a good sign. The speed limit is 70 km/h, but people often drive 90 km/h. In the evening it's not that big of a problem, but in the day, there is quite a lot of cars.
So I stop my bike, and call the dog.
He's quite happy, and comes to talk with me.
He has no dogtag, no nothing.
Oh well, he might be a dog who ran away form his garden, så I desid to try and find some houses near by, to ask if anybody knows this (quite friendly dog).

This man comes out, and asks who I'm looking for. I say I'm just there to find out where this dog belongs.
He tells me to just leave it alone. The lady who owns it just lets it run around on it's own.
He told me, that he did report it to the police, but she dosen't care. The dog just keeps running around on it's own. He also told me, that her excuse was, that she has such a big garden, she can't keep him in...

What the hey?
That is just so sad!
I felt so bad leaving the dog behind, but I didn't have my phone with me, and when on a bike, it's quite hard to take a dog with you. Maybe if it had been something very small, and I could put it into my bagpack :giggle:

I just feel so frustrated. I could do nothing, and I don't know what is going to happen to this dog.
One of the roads we walked along, only had a narrow patch of grass in each side, and the dog acted like it walks around there quite often. People drive like crazy in this area.
So many wild animals like deer, hedgehogs, foxes and birds are hit in this area, so I guess someone is going to hit the dog at some point...

I really wish I could do something :(
We don't have anything like the RSPCA, and we have a lot of trouble with young people at the moment, so the police dosen't eaven have the time to look at burglaries in peoples homes... How would they EVER get the time for things like this?
I'm not mad at the police btw. They are doing everything they can, and people just yell at them, and call them lazy.
I'm mad at this woman, who dosen't care enough about her dog, to look after it, when it's out side :(

Stupid, stupid humans!

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
That's is so sad! I wish you could've done something :( Poor poor dog.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
It seems some sort of temporary shelter is needed. Police dont deal with animals that arent dangerous. My suggestion would be to volunteer your time a little each week to inform the public about proper care of their pets. Even, go to her house yourself and discuss the danger and neglect in allowing her dog to roam free. We have people let their dogs roam all the time.. Actually my friends dog was euthanized last week because they let it out all the time and it "looked like it was going to bite an infant". People just over-react in those circumstances and now the sweetest dog is dead..So good luck, though your words may sem to fall on deaf ears somebody is always listening.

·
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually our police act on these things ;)
It's illegal, and if they have the time, they WILL do something about it...

It's quite hard to talt to anybody about it, when you don't know where the lady lives.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Maybe you could hang around where yu found the dog. Either next time take it or try to find someone like last time and ask questions??

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
take it to a near by no kill shelter. There are no tags. its a stray if the owner cares enough they will come get it if not it will be adopted out.

shrug. some times people don't learn unless it is a hard lesson given.

·
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kendalle:
Kinda hard to take the dog anywhere, when on a MC ;)

PH:
I don't come there that often, and it takes me 10 minutes by car. That may not seam that far away, but I think it is, if I'm not eaven sure the dog is going to be there...
I'll just have to remember my phone, and put the number of a place who drives out and picks up these animals, into my phone.
It's free to call them, and get them to pick up animals.
I think I would've called my vet if I had my phone, and asked what to do...

One other reason for me not running around looking after others pets is, that one of my chinnies is preggy, and she's due in a week or two, so I like to stay in, and just take care of her.
It's her first litter, so I'm a bit nervouse.
But if I EVER see it again, I hope I'm in a car, or remember my phone....

I've found a dog one time before, and called the owner. She got so happy, because the dog had ran away. It was such a nice feeling to help both dog and human. It's horrible it can't end like that every time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts