Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
every animal ive ever gotten from petco has died.. :(
petsmart all the way. i live near one and the people there do know what theyre talking about when it comes to the animals they sell. and i asked them about my iguana and they even knew a little about iguanas. though i know its not like that in every petsmart

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
every animal ive ever gotten from petco has died.. :(
petsmart all the way. i live near one and the people there do know what theyre talking about when it comes to the animals they sell. and i asked them about my iguana and they even knew a little about iguanas. though i know its not like that in every petsmart
im actually against petsmart when i went in there to get crickets and worms for my beardie the guy working there said i should of been feeding it baby mice........ sometimes u get amazing people at petshops that know there stuff and then you get the ones that know nothing. but like you said not every petsmart is great

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
This is an old thread, but whatever... :rolleyes:

I hate Petco, and our Petsmart is actually pretty good, but I still wouldn't buy animals from them. Sometimes a buy feeders from the Pet Supplies Plus here (they are really good, and I like the people there too) but I usually buy from Leaping Lizards, because they have the cheapest and healthiest feeders. Plus, that's where I adopted Dudley from.

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
I noticed the date too, but I also have something to say. It saddens me how many times I read in pet forums "well the pet store employee told me this so it has to be right".

My answer is inevitably that pet store employees are rarely experts in anything, but many people are adamant that since the person who gave them the information works in a pet store (selling sick diseased mill animals no doubt, another topic) they must know all.

People actually ask pet store employees veterinary advice, and these unknowledgeable irresponsible employees will spout off whatever, and it's the animals who suffer.

So all WE can do is continue to educate on these forums, urge people to do more research on reputable websites, urge people to take their pets to the vet, and hope we get through. Even if we help open the eyes of only one, it's better than none.

And yes, by all means, if you see an oppourtunity to educate someone while shopping in a pet store or pet food aisle, do it! (but in a nice way, not an in your face know it all way, of course! :))

PS I sometimes print cat nutrition info and casually leave it lying on the cat food shelves in the grocery store You know, next to the meow mix or kitten chow or <shudder> Dads. <weg>

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Yeah, I went to Petland quickly a few weeks ago to look for live plants, and I saw someone who was interested in a RES turtle for their 9 year old daughter... And the pet store employee was actually trying to talk her into getting one!! That really ticked me off (It was SO obvious they were trying to take advantage of her and just trying to make a sale... I had a job interview there last summer, and they all work on commission, so they need to sell a lot) so I told her why a turtle is NOT a good idea, and recommended a leopard gecko. She was really thankful I told her not to get a turtle LOL, and I sold her some of my extra reptile supplies for their new gecko.

I end up doing that a lot at pet stores. The employees are usually very un-helpful, and just plain annoying.

·
Super Moderator
316 Posts
There's not a Petland in Oregon. The Petco and Petsmart in my area have been fine as far as caring for their animals. There was only one incident that I know of with hermit crabs at Petsmart. There were always a bunch of empty shells which made me wonder if they were caring for their hermit crabs properly. Both stores need to have a better rewards program. All of their sales seem to be for dogs and cats and nothing for small animals.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts