Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://taqmanduagirl.blogspot.com/2009_07_22_archive.html
We passed a couple dogs on the way. I had to carry her past a big one. they seemed to think their dog was vicious so chose to get off the trail with him to let us past. He looked okay but that was nice of them.

Tree Sniffing

Climbing a cliff

She went down a deer path but came up the hard way

Pua by the River: video
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tamanduagirl/3741465901/

Pua found a mud hole

Muddy Anteater

Heading across the rock bridge

Pua taking a hike: video
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tamanduagirl/3741586431/in/set-72157605523593846/

Pua checks out the water

She kept checking out the river but not going in

Looking for a way across

I'm not swimming today

I found something

Smelling the breeze

Traversing the tree roots

Rinsing off

I set her in the shallows to rinse the stinky mud off. She was not happy.

I quit

Pua's legs turned to jello

It's nice having a carry bag

I carried her half way back then she woke up and walked

Crossing the decaying bridge

·
Fashion Animal Freak :)
1,307 Posts
Wow........
So gorgeous ive never seen anything like her! LOL
Im sure you spoil her rotten! how could'nt ya?!

·
Registered
391 Posts
yay! more pua pics and videos! i want one one day but i'm pretty sure that won't happen. you're really lucky to have her, and it looks like she's really lucky to have you guys!

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
Coolio! I wish I had an anteater. So unique!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aww she is a cutie! How did you get an anteater as a pet?!! Too cool! x
Lots of hard work, really. Spent years just learning about them and developing a good diet based on studies and talking with zoos. Pua was imported From Guyana. She was a failure at wild living and needed nursed back to health. It was a year after contacting the guy before he found me one. We are now waiting on a male for her. He will be from the wild too. I went into this on my blog recently. They are often killed as a nuisance animal. People freak and either kill them or call authorities to come get them just for coming into the yard but some walk right into people's homes. We're anxiously waiting some young male fresh from mom to wander where he shouldn't be and be sent to us instead of killed. The importer will only sell to those with a USDA license.

Stewie was born in Florida so a domestic kid but we were very lucky to get him. There are not enough domestic borns to be found. Of course we hope Pua and her new man will have a kid or two once they get to know each other.

Back to the question a bit I also worked with other exotics for a few years before getting my own.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all.

Here's a few more pictures

Straddling a tree

Happy

ROTFL

She's got attitude

Pua on my back - using me like a jungle gym

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
Neat pics! I love seeing pics of Pua, she is so cute!

·
Registered
104 Posts
wow shes amazing...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thank you. I got a good yawn shot of her recently. I love when she yawns.

She's wearing a hoody sweater

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Gosh! I love Pua! Your pictures are awesome!!
Just curious though...should you really try breeding them? Especially if you get a wild male? Why breed them?? I am just wondering.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gosh! I love Pua! Your pictures are awesome!!
Just curious though...should you really try breeding them? Especially if you get a wild male? Why breed them?? I am just wondering.
So we have them, to be very simple about it. For example there are many species of parrots that are extinct in the wild but we still have them as pets because, well, people wanted them and then bred them. They are not extinct as long as they live and if by some miracle they stop destroying the wild habitat then some could even be raised to be introduced some day. Privately owned bison and black buck have been used for reintraductions.

Tamanduas are CITES II, which is the threatened or unknown but possibly threatened category. There have not been many people breeding them. We need to get a solid domestic population going before they become endangered because then it's to late as they can't be imported any more.

Also the more people that have them, good people, the more we learn and the easier the care of them can become.

I do have my USDA license and have worked with many species, which included a bit of birthing goats. So should be able to handle it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's a yawn? Omg that is ADORABLE!!
Yeah whenever she yawns her tongue comes rolling out. I love it.

I love her! She is like a dog! Do you have to keep her caged or does she always a free roam of the house?
She has free run of my room at night or when I'm gone but she did get caged at first. She hasn't been caged in over a year. She roams the house and yard supervised.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts