Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, all has been great with my degus for the last few months but ive noticed a huge lack of energy as the weathers been getting hotter and hotter, im on a top floor apartment and they're in the room with the A/C so they're not in a hot enough room that its bad for them but is it normal for them to slow down in the summer?, ive also noticed them having a burst of energy around 11pm midnight when usualy its around 4 -6pm?

·
Registered
21 Posts
hay bandit, yeah my degus have slowed down a lil bit in the hot weather we have had to, so i close my curtains to make sure they are not in the direct light and i always make sure there is a breaze coming through aswel. mine tend to have there energy burst in the evening aswel maybe coz it is cooler why they do it lol :)

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Degus don't tolerate heat very well (chinchillas are the same way). You can give them a block of marble to lie on...they even sell them in stores called "Chin Coolers" or something. The marble feels nice and cool to degus :). If your degus aren't big plastic chewers, a frozen water bottle can cool them down. But a lot of degus will destroy them so watch out. Also make sure that they have fresh, cold water available and cool salads.

A fan might also help, I always kept one on for the degus since the AC didn't reach my room as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts