Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago a co-worker of mine informed me that she had rescued some chins from a pet store. She said the place was going out of business and the owner had admitted to her that he stopped caring, therefore in the process stopped cleaning cages. The cages had not been cleaned in well over a month.

Yesterday we went to this store. The place was beyond disgusting. An African Grey who was fed licorice and was seriously feather plucking. Green cheek conures who had filthy, black water and a disgusting cage. A kitten whos wiskers had been burnt off. We went into the back room and it reeked of ammonia. Urine, bedding and who knows what else covered the floor. He had rats and various other small animals crammed into tiny storage containers, with no food or water from what I could see. There was a chin back there who my co-worker took out of the encrusted cage and put into a small cage in front.

I felt so bad not being able to save the chinnies or the cats. Dan would have killed me had I come home with the chinchillas, but maybe he would have thought differently given the circumstances.

Well, today at work I asked my manager who I could contact about this. She told me to call WI Humane Society, who in turn gave me a number to call. I called there, the person gave me another number to call because it was beyond their juristiction (sp?) or something. Again, I called the number they gave me. Wrong number!! So, they gave me another number! I called them, and they couldn't do anything, so she was looking up a number when another co-worker found something in the phone book. I called and the humane officers weren't in the building, so I left a message.

My mother also called and got a hold of someone. They were going to go there immediately and said that they had gotten numerous calls about this place in the back. I'm hoping the animals are taken out of there and he is either thrown in jail or slapped with a heavy fine. We'll find out soon enough.

What I don't get is why he wasn't shut down sooner?

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
That is just insane! :mad: That guy must be having some serious mental issues to be that cruel to any creature! I am so glad you called someone so the animals hopefully will get some help. With these kinds of people it makes me wonder, is there any hope left in the world these day? :down:

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree 100% with you Natalie. There was one vital part I left out in the first post.

He told my co-worker that whatever didn't sell was either being left behind in the store or thrown out in the dumpster. I couldn't believe it when I was told that. I just hope and pray he didn't mean the animals, because I would have just stolen the chinchillas and whatever else I could, just to save them from that **** hole!

Then he told us yesterday that he's taking the cats and the African Grey home! To be sentenced to the same torture as was at the store?? People nowadays just disgust me! I asked him what was going to happen to the chinchillas if they didn't sell, and he said "oh, they'll sell one way or another." I was incredibly disturbed by that comment. I wish I would have acted upon it sooner, but when I got home I crashed, I was so hot from being outside a lot.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
That is just awful.
I think people who own a pet shop should be checked up on like when people go and get jobs with children.
Also there should be regular checks and if this is not possible at least have the decency to do something when there are complaints and obviously animals lives at danger.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Do those animals look like toys to people? They have feelings and needs that need to be met! I really hope he gets in huge trouble for what he's doing!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Have you heard anything yet? I hope someone took all the animals out. There should be an officer or someone who goes around to check up on people like that. They have then for restaurants and other food places. Hopefully, he will never be allowed to own or sell another animal again.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for the lack of response on my end, I don't know whether I'm coming or going lately. :sigh:

Anyways, the day before he was supposed to close, I was trying constantly to call someone to report him. I finally did get a number for someone, and left a message because all of the humane officers were out. In the meantime, my mother was calling and reporting him, too. The humane officer said she was going to go out there that day. Apparently, this guy has been reported before, but why nothing ever happened is beyond me.

I'm going to ask a girl at work today what she saw. She was going to go there the day of closing and see what happened. I should ask my mom if she ever called back the humane officer to find out what happened.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another update.

The chinchillas are STILL there and the guy STILL hasn't closed down according to my co-worker. He's going on a cash basis only. I can't believe he still hasn't been shut down!

I may report him again, but quite honestly....I'm wondering if it's even worth it now. The one person said she was going out there, but it must not have happened. Almost seems like now the system is failing those animals still stuck with this :censored:.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
That is awful! Good luck with your campaign...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Good for you that you've taken action! Even though it might seem like this guy won't get what he deserves for doing this, at least you are trying your best. I'm sure everyone would be appaled at the situation, but only a few people would actually try to do something about it. I'm sure the animals are very thankful to you, and good luck with the rest of this mission.
Claire

·
Registered
65 Posts
So what ever happende with this???????

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have no update for anyone. As far as I know, the place is probably still open. :mad:

It has become apparent to me that reporting him didn't do much of anything, because he was still in business. Two people reported him (my mother and myself), and the woman that my mother talked to said she would be going out there, but that must not have happened. :sigh:

I wish I had an update, but I don't.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts