Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tempo has been on her new meds for a few days now. I have been giving her 2 different meds orally 4 times a day. The vet thinks she has allergies, but one of my friends thinks she has Cushings Disease. Still not sure what she has.
All I know is she scratched her ears off and the skin on her neck and back is itched raw.
I took these photos of her yesterday.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Poor girl...she looks so sore! :(

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would imagne so. Ouch.

She can be quite strong though when it comes to wriggling out of the towel when I put her in there to take her meds.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Poor little baby! I feel so bad for her. :(
Does she have any sisters or playmates to keep her company?

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No. She had a female with her when I got her (she is a year old) but about 8 months ago the other female, Key, died.
I know female mice are to be kept together. I watched her closely and she actually seemed happier without Key. With Key, Tempo would just hide in the igloo all day and never snack or run on her wheel. From the day Key died on she has become more outgoing.
She started scratching a little after Christmas. At first it looked like a cut so I just thought it was a cut and treated the wound. It healed. Then a few weeks later she started itching again. And now here we are.
At first the vet thought it might be mites so of course I did not want to get another mouse just in case the same thing happened to the new one.
I have been thinking about it, but I want her to heal first. As the possible new mouse might hurt her easily.
I am still not sure.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Oh my gosh, poor girl!! :( When the vet thought it was mites, did he treat her for them to be safe? That might be a good idea if she hasn't been treated anyway, just to rule out mites as a cause. I've never seen anything like that before. I hope the meds get her feeling better soon.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Ditto what Breyer said...I hope she starts feeling better soon, poor little girl! :(
Let us know how she does?

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Aw,I hope she heals up and feels better soon.

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She was treated for mites just in case (even though the skin scraping was clean).
She goes back and forth from itching to not really being bothered by it. I am still stumped as to what it is.
Though the Pred seems to be working and my vet said that if the Pred continues to work and we cannot figure out what is wrong with her then I might have to keep her on the Pred for the rest of her life.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Poor little girl! aww looks sooo sore. Not too sure but part of it could be stress from losing her sister as well. I have read that some will do this and have seen a few other pics mind none quite like this, hope you get it figured out soon.

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update.
Not sure if the meds are working. It seems like she is slowly going back to her old habits...and I think she has a lump on her chest. You can kind of see it in the pictures but it was just suddenly there one day and is a little more noticable today. Not sure what it is or if I am just seeing things.
I am going to call to make a appointment tomorrow.
Also, she has been acting kind of weird lately. She is sleeping on a napkin I put in her cage this morning. But she is sleeping on it in the middle of the cage, uncovered. This is not like her. She has never slept out in the open before.
I pray I can finally get some answers soon.

·
laugh often
1,690 Posts
oh my poor baby. have you changed her food? Has she been checked for ear infections or the like? I hope she heals up soon and doesn't have to be on those meds for the rest of her life. I never had any kind of experience with this. Give her extra treats:)

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She has not been checked for ear infections. Would an ear infection cause her to do this amount of damage to herself?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I wish I had some info to give you. I'll be keeping you guys in my thoughts. Good luck, and let us know how the vet visit goes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
the lumps are usually tumors and they do come fast and grow rapidly, Baby has one on her that I just noticed 2 nights ago and it is getting bigger every day. she goes to the vet on Monday, gunna have it removed as soon as possible.
Mine will sleep out in the open at times too think it maybe an attention thing or possibly comfort as she may know you are there and feels safer.
But each one is soo different tho such little personalities they have.
Really hope you are able to find answers soon

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So turns out she had large ovaries or something that was causing very high estrogen levels which made her scratch...and grow numorous tumors. By the time we found it it was too late to do anything about it. She needed surgery in order to fix it but in her worsening condition she would have never made it through surgery.
So sadly I chose to euthanize her...
They are sending me a little imprint of her paw. They also gave me the body back so I can bury her next to her sister, Key, and my mouse before them, Aaron, in my mom's backyard.
My poor unfortunate little fuzz. I will miss you terribly.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I am so sorry about Tempo. :(
I know you will miss her very much but I also know you did the right thing for her by not wanting her to suffer through surgeries and more pain. I am glad she will be with her sister. My thoughts go out to you and I know Tempo is out of pain and is happy again.

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you. I am just glad she is not itchy, sore and in pain anymore.

I seem to have such bad luck with mice. She is my 10th one to go since I first started owning mice about 5 years ago.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I am very glad she is not in pain anymore either. When we had to put our two rat boys to sleep last year, it was so hard on us but we knew they were not in pain anymore and that helped. Relief and peace for them, even if it is very painful for us.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts