Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read and heard a few crazy things lately about dog bites...mostly regarding pits but there are some things that confuse me.

1) same sex aggression. My family, friends, and extended family have all kept same sex animals together. In fact, before I moved, I lived with four dogs (three castrated males and one intact male. Two large and two small.) They never fought...not once. I thought maybe it was because only one was intact but that same dog used to live at my grandparents' house...with two other intact males. When I stay at the in-law's house, there are three males (including my two) and two females. The only fights are when Princess (misbehaving under exercised spayed rat terrier) tries to rough house with Spyro (well behaved neutered mutt.) She understands pretty quickly that hopping on a sleeping dog is very rude.

2) Three is a pack. I have read in a few places that issues arise with more than two dogs. Seeing as this is the first time in 12 years I have only had two dogs...well I guess I don't understand how more issues come up with more than two. Can someone explain this to me?

So I guess I'm just confused. Are these issue with dogs or with handlers/owners? Do I just know people that easily take on the alpha position?

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
These issues are only some dogs and some owners. Not all dogs will fight in same sex groups. Some dogs are same sex aggressors and some are plain dog aggressive. Some just are jelous of their owners.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Sometimes, it depends on the personalities of the dogs. There are dogs who are naturally born with "leader of the pack" personalities, but training and supervision can greatly affects and correct it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts