Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's definitely time for the babies to get their first bath. Especially the boys because when we went to the vet the viewed it as new territory and marked like crazy. What is the best shampoo (or other products) that I should buy?

I was thinking of doing it in the tub. How high should the water be? I've never done a rattie bath! Any other tips?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I never gave my rats water baths. Partially because they were terrified of water and also, they never really got stinky. But I DID get a great tip from some people on the forum, about using non-scented baby wipes to give them a wipe down and clean them that way. They did not mind the wipes at all and it kept them from being scared in water. It also left them nice and clean and smelling nice on the rare occassion that they got a little musky.

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Same with me Vladina. I find bathing boys who are in full hormonal swing (scenting, etc) is fruitless...they often will scent more because they have to make up for what you took from them LOL.

Try the baby wipes, plus they are awesome for wiping down cages, I keep a lot on hand :D Or just use a wet cloth and wipe over the part that is smelliest...the back or belly? Then they will groom the "nasty wet" off and clean themselves :D

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Yep, same here Lilspaz...I used to use those non-scented baby wipes all the time for wiping down the boys' housing/platforms, etc. Great cage cleaning wipes in addition to "bathing" wipes. :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What wipes are the best? Are one of these okay?

-Pampers SoftCare Unscented
-Huggies Natural Care Baby Wipes, Fragrance-Free
-Seventh Generation Baby Wipes, Chlorine free and Unscented

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Yes, any of those that are not scented and do not have any fragrance or are hypoallergenic would be fine. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts