Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One baby already came out, but is dead! The cage smells salty (almost like a man's cum to be honest.) The baby looks like SHE attacked it. It was ripped open! After the first one comes out how long can it take if there are more? I don't know if she's having problems. I saw the one baby and when we picked it up it looked like the skin had ripped open.

·
Registered
236 Posts
OH.. thats horrible!!!! I wish I knew what to tell you!! Maybe call a 24 hour vet and ask thier advice...

:-(

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
take her to the vet she maybe having trouble giving birth :(

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Welcome to the world of breeding, you should know all this stuff by now or researched the **** out of it, when you bred your rats deliberately. Posting on Paw Talk is NOT researching.

The dead pup with ripped skin, your girl had to pull out with her teeth...otherwise she and the rest of the pups would've died. That's all she has to help them come out, her teeth, some ratlings (if they lived) will be bruised, but I will assume her entire litter didn't make it?

She still needs a vet, she could have deed pups still inside of her, which would rot and make her go septic. She may need an e-spay to survive, if she continues to bleed.

Please don't breed again.

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
Let us know what your emergency vet says and if she needed/how she came through the e-spay. I know it's frustrating and heartbreaking. I only know because of my rat boys lost their mother to a later difficult delivery of a subsequent litter. My breeder took her in to an emergency vet at 2 in the morning who because of the time wasn't her usual vet. The new vet waited too long and 1,500 dollars later the mother and litter died. Unfortunately, rarely it's to be expected, and is a part of the cost of breeding. I'm so sorry for your loss in this.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The birth was actually very easy for her. All of the babies came out dead, though. Within 75 minutes it was over. 6 babies in total. it was so sad because by the 6th baby she had just given up- she didn't even clean it off totally. We even found one that had half of it's body gone. She must have eaten it...it was quite gruesome. She's been eating/drinking/walking around fine all day today though, but she has a vet appt. in 2 hours. We'll see what he says. Don't worry I don't plan on breeding again.

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
Poor baby. :( Lots of love and rest for her. I'll be checking back to see how she's doing. :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Momma is totally fine. The XRAY confirmed that all of the babies had been born and she was clear. I talked to the vet (who has rats) and he told me that when the entire first liter comes out stillborn more times than not there is something wrong with the mother and it would just happen again if she were to be bred again. Do you guys agree with that statement? She's back to her normal weight, though, and doing well. She won't be bred again :)

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Momma is totally fine. The XRAY confirmed that all of the babies had been born and she was clear. I talked to the vet (who has rats) and he told me that when the entire first liter comes out stillborn more times than not there is something wrong with the mother and it would just happen again if she were to be bred again. Do you guys agree with that statement? She's back to her normal weight, though, and doing well. She won't be bred again :)
you just cannot know. It's all supposition at this point. What if it was dad's genetic contribution? It could have been anything at all, but if a litter is stilborn I would never breed that girl again.

But something wrong with mom is a good bet since its her hormones guiding the whole pregnancy, and one may have misfired.

Glad to hear she's okay. I have heard of horror stories in rescue. Several moms died of sepsis weeks after giving birth.

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
I'm glad to hear she's doing well as well. We went out of town this weekend, but I found myself thinking of her and you all weekend. Thanks for updating us!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Have you posted pictures of mom? Just wondering.. I love pictures...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts