Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Fertile Myrtle
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I ended up getting both! :D They are both female, about 6 months old. I have them in a 10gal tank for now and hope to upgrade to a long 25gal soon. They are settling in nicely and I got some pics. Still working on names. These pics aren't great - I'll get some better ones tonight once they've settled in.

·
Fertile Myrtle
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're not much bigger than gerbils right now - but from what I have read they grow to about the size of a rat.

I just put a TP roll in for them and they went nuts!! LOL I buried a glass jar under the shavings for them to sleep in - and the one grabbed the roll and backed into the jar and managed to get it in there - now she's chewing on it and then walking out through the tube! LOl

·
Fertile Myrtle
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They're great!! I took a cholla chew out of Kinjin's cage and gave it to them - now they're going nuts over that! LOL They really need a bigger cage, which I will be on the lookout for, but this one is bigger than the one they were in so I think they'll be ok for the time being.

·
Fertile Myrtle
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Someone on another forum tried to tell me that they could "take a hunk" out when they bite you... except all the literature says they never bite...

I got them a new home, the 10gal just wasn't cutting it so I went to target and got a huge plastic bin, they are much happier now!! And I got to see that they CAN jump! LOL One of the girls jumped up the side (about 12")!!

·
Fertile Myrtle
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks! He caved but with a "No more. This is it. No more chins, no degus.. nothing!" LOL But there was no way I was walking out of there without them...

Anyone have suggestions for names? So far someone suggested Thelma and Louise!

·
Fertile Myrtle
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know, right? LOL

Ok I'm thinking of going with Irish names, I really like these two:

Sorcha (SOH ruh chuh) - brightness; light
Senga (SEN ga) - slender/holy

·
Fertile Myrtle
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Forgot about that!! Then it's settled. Now to figure out a way to easily tell them apart! LOL One has a little bump in her tail - but you really have to look and see!

·
Fertile Myrtle
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I finally have everything but the lid for their cage finished. I am not used to having animals on shavings! LOL They're bowl was quickly buried. So I went today and bought a wooden bird nesting box and put it in the corner and put their food bowl on top. Instead of a tank I have them in a 117 quart plastic storage container from target, I cut out the top and am going to fit mesh over it. We drilled a hole in the side for the water bottle. They love it!! I'll get more pics for ya.

I can already see who is the dominant one - she will knock the other over and pin her. I think they're playing but I'll keep an eye anyway as they are not yet mature and this could lead to me having to seperate them. I left the jar in so one can hide in the jar and one in the house - maybe that will deter some fighting. They seem to like apple! lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.