Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought a thread like this would be handy, so we can keep track of all the yummy veggie recipes that are posted!

Ill start:

Vegan Orange Chicken
For the vegan “chicken,” try the new Morningstar Farms Meal Starters Chik’n Strips. Otherwise, you can use seitan, tempeh, or firm tofu. If Chinese rice wine is unavailable, use dry sherry.

2 Tbsp. Chinese rice wine
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 lb. vegan chicken, cut into strips or cubes
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup vegetable broth
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
2 tsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
2 Tbsp. canola oil or other light oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. minced ginger
1 orange, cut into thin slices, for garnish

• In a bowl, blend the rice wine and 1 Tbsp. of the cornstarch. Add the vegan “chicken” and toss to coat. Set aside.
• In a bowl, combine the orange juice, vegetable broth, soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, mustard, pepper flakes and the remaining cornstarch. Blend well and set aside.
• Heat a large skillet or wok and add the canola oil. Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
• Add the “chicken” and stir-fry until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
• Stir in the sauce and stir-fry for another minute, or until the sauce is thickened and hot. Serve garnished with orange slices.

Makes 4 servings

Its pretty good, but just dont overdue the sauce! Too much sauce makes it kind of nasty, LOL.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
“Chicken” Nuggets
Serves 4

* 1 14-ounce package of extra-firm tofu
* 1/2 cup bread crumbs
* 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* salt, to taste
* 1/2 cup water

Unwrap the tofu and shake off any excess moisture. Place the tofu in a freezer bag or wrap well in plastic, then freeze the sealed tofu for at least 24 hours.

The next day, thaw the tofu by placing it—unwrapped—into a microwave-safe bowl. Cover the bowl and microwave on high, checking every 2 to 3 minutes to make sure the tofu doesn’t cook. Once thoroughly defrosted, gently squeeze out any excess moisture and cut into 1-inch cubes.

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

In a shallow bowl, add the bread crumbs and spices, mixing well. In a separate bowl, pour 1/2 cup of water.

Dip each piece of tofu first into the water, lightly shake off any excess water, and then coat with the seasoned bread crumbs.

Put the breaded tofu cubes on a lightly oiled baking pan and baked 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown and crisp.

Serve with a dipping sauce such as sweet and sour or barbecue, or spicy mustard.

*my meat eating boyfriend loves these w/ ketchup!! ^^;
I love them as they are!

·
I am allergic to maths
1,318 Posts
Pear, Blackberry and walnut crisp. .100g walnuts
. 200g plain flour
. 75g soft light brown sugar
. 4 teaspoons regular (granulated) sugar
.1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
. 75g unsalted butter, softened (can be replaced with margerine, vegan margerine)
. 4 ripe pears, peeled (can use apples)
. 250g blackberries
Serves 4-6
Method:
Toast the walnuts under a hot grill, shaking from time to time until they brown evenly. Cool, and chop finely.
Put the flour, sugars and cinnamon into a bowl and work in the softened butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the walnuts.
Core and slice the pears quite thinly and put into a 22cm souffle dish with the blackberries. Mix well. Pour in the topping and mix in the fruit. Bake at 190oC/375oF/ gas mark 5 for 40 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
oooh nice thread! I have a whole bunch of desert recipes i made into vegan recipes... I'll try to post some soon!

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
This is really a recipe, but I bought some Morning Star Buffalo Wings and they are delicious!!!! Some people in my family thought they were chicken!!

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those are yummy! Theyre really spicy though.
I found this AMAZING recipe for sweet and sour tofu that Ill have to post. Its sooooooo good! :drool:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Needed to post this!

Stuffed Bell Peppers. [Vegan]

Alomst ANYTHING size wise can be altered here. It's all about how much you want.

Ingredients-
Stuffed Bell Pepper (Any Color)
2 Cans of Black Beans (Or however many you want)
One small onion
2 cloves of garlic.
1 pkg. of taco seasoning. (Ortega seasoning, in the blue packs, are the only kind I've found to be vegan.)

Procedure- (You'll want the oven preheated to 350°F)

1. Drain the Cans of beans and rinse, strain.
  2. Cook chopped onion/garlic in olive oil on a small skillet for about 3-6 mins, or until soft.
  3. While they're cooking, you can take your peppers and scrape the inside stuff/seeds out.
  4. Smash the beans until really soft/well squashed. Using your hands work best.
  5. Cook beans in olive oil [optional] for about 5/7 mins.
  6. Add onions/garlic.
  7. Add about 1/2 cup of water, and immediately after add the WHOLE pack of taco seasoning.
  8. Mix well.
  9. When done to your liking, kill the heat.
  10. Stuff the peppers, about half of the mixture in one, half in the other. (2 peppers)
  11. Bake for about 10-15 mins.
And you're done! It's a lot simpler once you've done it yourself. It's REALLY good. You can eat the filling with the pepper, or just use it as a bowl and enjoy =D.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have made these before and they are delicious! They work best with red peppers I think, also I add cream cheese on top :)
OOh I have some red ones down in the fridge. I'll try that later :D

Forgot to add in--You can ALSO cook the veggies using cooking spray. Oil just seems to work best.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Vegan- Fool (فول)

(its arabic poor mans food is what my boyfriend calls it (he's from saudi arabia for those that don't know)

1 can fava beans pealed
1 can diced tomatoes
1 onion
1 jalapeno (1/2 if you don't like spicy food 2 if you really do)
spices:
garlic powder to taste
salt
red pepper flakes if you like
curry powder

peel onion and put in food processor until chopped into almost a paste
put in pan and cook until brown and soft
put can of tomatoes in food processor until paste add to onions
put can of beans into food processor until paste add to mix
add spices simmer for 10 ish mins

toast bread while that stuff is cooking

dip toast in beans and eat. Repeat.

This is like my all time favorite food and i hate beans. plus it is a meal in 10 mins. (however my roommates claim it is not a meal with out rice!)

oh and if you have a worlds market or international market they may have fool ready to eat but its just the beens already squashed plus a little spice so you still have to do everything but it is better.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awesome! Congrats on your new veggie-ness! :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts