Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, poor little Theodore isn't doing very well. He is 2 1/2 years old, and as of today he was breathing really hard and is very wobbly when he walks. He had something pinkish red coming out of his mouth/nose, but we aren't sure if it is blood or of the Yogies he put in his cheeks melted. :(
If he is still alive in the morning, we are going to put him to sleep tomorrow. We gave him a little bit of my dog's sedative for thunderstorms (Vet said it was OK), so he is just resting peacefully for now. :(

Keep the little guy in your prayers. He was my sister's hamster, but I'm going to miss him. He was one of the sweetest hamsters we've ever had, and we've had a LOT of hamsters.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
awww poor little guy

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. :( He actually just started eating and drinking and acting somewhat normal a couple minutes ago, so we aren't sure what we are going to do now, if he continues to improve.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Aw, hope he gets better. My old ham Button turned quickly like that too. He was nearly 3 yrs old. He would have good days and bad days. I think it lasted a week or so.

·
she-mayor of Whoville
289 Posts
Good luck, any news?

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Theo decided he would stick around for a while yet, LOL. :D
A side effect of the sedative we gave him is getting REALLY hungry and thirsty, so he started eating and drinking a lot after we gave it to him. I think it was just what he needed, because the little guy is back to normal now.
He's still a wobbly old man, but he isn't breathing heavily or acting like he is almost dead anymore.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha, yeah he is. He probably won't be around too much longer, but as long as he is comfortable we aren't going to put him to sleep yet.

We are pretty glad that we didn't go ahead and put him down on Sunday though. The cheapest e-vet wanted $55 to put him to sleep, but the other one we called wanted $240! That's why we wanted to wait until Monday, but then he was all right again.

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Good to hear he is doing better. I hope he continues to improve. :)
He is one old hamster. lol

·
Super Moderator
334 Posts
Jessica: I hope that your hamster continues to do well and that you don't have to take him to the vet and have him put to sleep.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. Well, Theo just passed away. :( He died while my sister was holding him. Rest in peace, little fellow.

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
I am so sorry to hear that. :( It is very hard losing a pet. I had to put my mouse to sleep a few months ago.

·
Super Moderator
334 Posts
Jessica: I'm really sorry that your hamster died. It sounds like he died in a peaceful way since your sister was holding him.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys. We were expecting it of course, and I'm just glad that he got to pass away peacefully at home instead of being PTS. :( He was a much loved little guy. He lived a long life and was never sick, and I'm glad we got to know him.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss :(.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts