Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're seriously thinking of getting a bearded dragon in a little while. We have a 50 gallon tank for it already. I've done research online as to what else you need for the set up but wanted some advise from people who actually have one. Also, if anyone can give me some advise on bearded dragons, that would be great, we're planning on getting a baby one. :talk:

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Awesome! Is there any specific advice you need?
There are a few things I can think of that every new beardie owner should know (there's a lot of misleading "advice" out there) so here are a few tips:

-The best UVB light is the ReptiSun 10.0 flourescent tube (or Arcardia 12% in the UK), and you can order it at Amazon or Petmountain for $30 shipped. Replace it every 6 months, and stay away from compact/coil light. Retiglo and Zilla lights are absolute crap.
-Get a digital thermometer with a probe, dial/stick on ones are also crap. You can get a great indoor/outdoor therm at Walmart for $12. It's called Acurite. The basking spot for a baby should be around 110*F, and the cool side should be around 80*F.
-Babies eat a LOT. Be prepared to go through over 300 crickets a week. They should eat as much as they can in 15 minutes, 2 or 3 times a day. You can also feed them Phoenix worms. Stay away from mealworms.
-NEVER use sand or a loose substrate. It can kill them in more ways than I can count on one hand. Tile, reptile carpet, non-adhesive shelf liner, newspaper, and paper towels are all great substrates.

Those are the most important things I can think of right now. Ask if you have any more questions! www.beardeddragon.org and http://beautifuldragons.com/ are excellent resources.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
there amazing creatures, and an even more amazing experience to have one.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
also if your getting a baby , make sure they are very active and alert.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts