Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Cute picture.

"Designer dogs" are just mutts with fancy names and higher price tags! And sadly they are a trend,till people realize they actually need attention and care and then they are dumped.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cute picture.

"Designer dogs" are just mutts with fancy names and higher price tags! And sadly they are a trend,till people realize they actually need attention and care and then they are dumped.
This is why they felt there was a need for the story.They asked to use a couple of my mutts for they are all rescues .

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
This is why they felt there was a need for the story.They asked to use a couple of my mutts for they are all rescues .
What kind of doggies do you have?

·
Registered
771 Posts
The "designer dogs" are pretty ridiculous. Especially when they come up with cutesie names for them...:sigh: I can understand accidents where people have a litter of mixed pups, but to purposefully breed for these little purse dogs or whatever is doing a disservice to the dog. This focus on little dogs trend has been sort of nice since I can get more things for my dog now, but it is horrible that people are getting a dog just so they can dress it up and shove it in a purse. Then when the poor dog acts up or becomes old news they dump it off at a shelter :(

The sad thing is that around where I live it seems to be that a lot of large breed mixes are at the shelters. Lots of pit bull mixes. I wish that spaying and neutering would be legally required unless a person could show proof of breeding intent or showing intent. In too many situations it's the dog that loses.

(edit: oh yes, and Bunnyzoo, it's awesome that you took those guys in! Now they have a chance :) )

·
Herp Nerd
1,115 Posts
There's a large number of people out there who are looking for that dog that is low maintenance, needs no brushing, doesn't shed, doesn't pant, doesn't bark, doesn't have dander, doesn't jump up on people, doesn't pee on the carpet, and will be happy to only be around when you want it to be around... I usually direct people to the stuffed animal aisle of Toys R Us.

·
Dinky Corsetkisser
4,020 Posts
Our local shelter is full of small breed "designer' dogs...my brother just went and got a new friend for his little China (his pit Max also loves the new puppy lol) he got a chihuahua/yorkie mix and she is adorable...so sad to see so many animals in such a high kill shelter :(

·
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter
1,165 Posts
Well, I like that people are starting to lean towards these so called designer dogs instead of the purebreds. People are going to "throw away" dogs no matter if they're purebred, designer, Heinz 57s - anything.
BUT, at least they aren't going and buying, for example, a female yorkie so that they can breed her and make some money. With a cross - you can't breed them and get puppies you can sell for some outrageous price. So, it does cut down on backyard breeding.
Maltese/shih-tzu mixes IMO, are one of the best little dogs ever. The maltese lengthens the nose, eliminating some of the breathing problems you have with smoosh-faced dogs, and the shih-tzu eliminates some of the yappy high strung nature of the maltese. Shih-Tese are great little dogs, and adorable too. And anyone I know of with a labradoodle dearly loves them. A nice, big, happy-go-lucky dog that doesn't shed profusely like a lab. Sounds wonderful to me, and I'd love to have one.

Everyone else sounds so down on this trend - I just thought I'd give my different view on it.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I have met some "designer breeds" before,a labrador and poodle mix ("labradoodle") who was a big goof and a "puggle" (beagle/pug mix).But it is just sad how people say "Oh,I have a puggle!" like it is a purebred or something.It makes me sick.

Speaking of little dogs and trends...
A few nights ago I was out and there was a woman with a chihuahiua in her arms.It was dressed up in clothing similar to the owner.Well the little dog started barking and the woman started yelling at it for barking and telling it that it wasn't supposed to bark! I was sooo mad.Thats what dogs do.You cannot get a dog,especially a little yappy breed and NOT expect it to bark. I was going to say something to her,but decided not to,because she was an idiot in the first place.

These things totally make me mad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts