Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I have a 29G FW tank stocked with 8 harlequin rasboras, 7 albino cories + 5 baby albinos, 2 cardinal tetras (rest of them died off) a GBR and a small pleco.

The top half of my tank is pretty bare and I am looking for a schooling fish that may school with the rasboras. I used to have GWC's (golden white clouds) but they died off after a year and a half. As you may know already, the bottom of the tank is pretty full. I'm looking for top to middle level swimmers with some color, preferably something different than more cardinal tetras.

I have been wanting a gourami but I doubt that would go well with my ram, or any of the other fish as I have seen that gouramis can get aggressive.

Any suggestions? Thanks for reading, I hope someone can answer me. The other thread I started has tons of views but no replies :(

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Your tank already looks pretty well stocked to me. Is there a way you can move the ram and maybe a few of the baby cories? Then I could probably make some gourami suggestions :). Hatchetfish would also work, they're the definition of top-dwelling fish! :lol:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been thinking about setting up my 10 gal for the baby cories but I don't know about my ram. She is pretty territorial and in her ripe old age (2 yrs lol) she seems to be set.

I bought the rasboras thinking that they would be along the top but they actually stay pretty close to the bottom -_-

·
Resident Zoologist
262 Posts
See, personally, I would add more, but my 33 gallon is muy overfiltered, and gets 50% water changes every 3-4 days....so although I have some ideas, I would want to know that you tank has tons of filtration and gets very regular water changes.

I would start by moving the Corydoras fry out. I would want to add 3-5 more cardinals and a small school (5-7) of marble hatchets, but that would fully depend on the conditions that I mentioned above.

To get an idea of how a smaller tank can have a big population, you can look at my 33 planted post, but take care to note the filtration, plants, and water changes my tank has.
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f77/the-33-gallon-planted-aquarium-59654.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have a Tetra Whisper 40 on my tank and tons of extra filters: a whisper 60, a biowheel that was used on a 55 gallon and a bunch of 10-30s. I do about 40-50% PWC once a week and I have pool filter sand substrate. I have some (fake, unfortunately) plants along the back but I like to keep open space for the cories.

I also have an empty 10, 20 and 29 gallon but I don't have a lot of room in my apartment as I am setting up shop for 2 critters in what space I have left.

I wouldn't mind setting up my 10 again but it gets drafty in my room and my dwarf puffer died once I moved it in there, even with a heater, from it getting too cold in the winter :(

I'd add a picture for you guys but I can't until I'm at 20 posts I guess.

PS I love your lighting. Are those T5HO's?

I want to add also that I know about stocking, cycling, and maintenance. I've only been doing this for 2 years but I have learned a lot in that small time :)

·
Resident Zoologist
262 Posts
I have a Tetra Whisper 40 on my tank and tons of extra filters: a whisper 60, a biowheel that was used on a 55 gallon and a bunch of 10-30s.
OK for your current stock, but Whispers are pretty limited due to their small media volume.

I do about 40-50% PWC once a week
Good, that is far better than most people.

and I have pool filter sand substrate.
Any particular reason?

PS I love your lighting. Are those TH5O's?
Yes, they are the Hagen Glo 36" double bulb HO T5 units...not half bad, but they take only Hagen tubes, so I would suggest buying a brand that takes a more standard length.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the sand because gravel makes me nervous with my cories as I have heard (read?) that sharp gravel can damage their barbels.

By now I'm annoyed when I clean the tank because sand is much harder to clean than gravel and I find myself wanting to switch substrate, but I would rather make sure they are happy.

I'm really just looking for something colorful to school with the rasboras, something different. I'd like to add some von rio tetras but I am not sure yet, still brainstorming.

:) Once I am able to post a pic you will see how bare it looks and maybe someone can give me suggestions to help it look fuller plant wise. I have tons of decor but I try and keep it as roomy as possible while still keeping plants for hiding/playing in.

·
Resident Zoologist
262 Posts
I like the sand because gravel makes me nervous with my cories as I have heard (read?) that sharp gravel can damage their barbels.
Actually, Cory barbel erosion is more about bacteria than rough gravel....regular water changes fix this, especially with gravel vacuuming. I have my cories on black Flourite, which is far from being even polished gravel, and mine are just fine.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
without researching, a couple years ago I kept corydoras on aquarium sand o_O They never got impacted or sore. Lived a couple years, then I re-homed them to my sister.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts