Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· canis lupus familiaris
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So FINALLY getting ready to move soon. I'm ecstatic! Only issue is that we're getting a roommate and my boyfriend is allergic to dogs. So far grooming has worked, but we haven't kept the dogs in our room at all...ever. I have been looking at a townhouse with dual masters (so no fighting over a master...we both have one) and the dogs will have to sleep in our room. My dogs have great coats and only bother him when they touch him for more than 30 minutes (which sucks because he loves to cuddle with them) and will occasionally cause him to sneeze (usually after a long period of not having a bath.)

So I'm tag teaming this. I have found a product called Allerpet D which looks promising. I have yet to find any bad reviews about it and my vet said it has worked wonders for his other clients (along with Allerpet C for cats.) It is a liquid that helps break down the dander.

Now my question. I usually make or buy natural flea/tick/mosquito spray for my dogs but have also considered getting an rx for Revolution. I haven't used spot ons for a while but I'd apply it right after their monthly bath. Does anyone think the Allerpet could interfere with my insect control (natural or chemical...more likely natural.) As far as I know, Allerpet is usually a weekly thing while if I stick with natural control, it would be daily.

Sites to manufacture
Revolution
Allerpet

· Resident Aquarium Nerd
10,108 Posts
I've heard terrible things about Revolution so I'd go for a different topical like K9 Advantix or Advantage (the latter doesn't help with ticks but Revolution doesn't do much to them either so I'm guessing that's not an issue in your area).

Does the Allerpet go between the shoulder blades? That's where most flea/tick topicals go. What's in it? I don't think it should interfere but you could call the company of the flea/tick product you plan to use.

And again, reconsider Revolution :lol:. I've known several people who used it and stopped because their dogs got fleas, ticks, and/or heartworms...:(.

· canis lupus familiaris
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Allerpet Single Solution™
for all large, medium or small furry animals including birds
DI UV water; quaternium-22; quaternium-26; allantoin; rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract; glycerin; panthenol; aloe vera; camellia sinensis leaf extract; hydroxypropyltrimonium hydrolyzed wheat protein; sodium styrene/PEG-10 maleate/acrolates copolymer (and) ammonium nonoxynol-4 sulfate; chamomilla recutita (matricaria) extract; hydrolyzed collagen; citric acid; Methylchloroisothiazolinone (and) Methylisothiazolinone.

The Original Allerpet® Solutions
Allerpet/D™ for Dogs Allerpet/B™ for Birds;
Allerpet/C™ for Cats (and other small furry animals);

DI UV water; quaternium-26; glycerin; quaternium-22; allantoin; panthenol; aloe vera gel; stearyltrimonium hydroxyethyl hydrolyzed collagen; sodium styrene/PEG-10 maleate/acrylates copolymer (and) ammonium nonoxynol-4 sulfate; hydrolyzed collagen; citric acid; methylchloroisothiazolinone (and) methylisothiazolinone.

I imagine that I'd use the single solution on occasion if D is out.

And Ok on the Revolution. I will stick to my natural stuff then. Thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:

Now that I look at the shampoo I will be buying, it also says it helps protect against fleas and the Single Solution has rosemary which is a common ingredient in store bought natural flea control.

· Resident Aquarium Nerd
10,108 Posts
It would probably be fine with the topical but I'd call the company. Though it sounds like you've decided to avoid using one anyways so I guess the point is moot :lol:.

I wish I could rely on natural means here but I live in THE worst area in the world for Lyme disease :(. It sucks, I've gotten it.

· canis lupus familiaris
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
quite honestly once you know which natural ingredients work, it is wonderful. I live near two rivers and two lakes plus a ton of creeks and streams. Heartworm is pretty big here. My dogs NEVER get bit...only me lol

· Resident Aquarium Nerd
10,108 Posts
quite honestly once you know which natural ingredients work, it is wonderful. I live near two rivers and two lakes plus a ton of creeks and streams. Heartworm is pretty big here. My dogs NEVER get bit...only me lol
Lyme disease is potentially deadly, though, and ticks don't seem repelled by...well...anything :lol:. Lyme is bad enough for me to rely on chemicals and I wouldn't wish it on anyone! Deer ticks are small enough to miss on a fluffy dog, too, so I like knowing any attached ones will die.

Otherwise, I'd agree with you. I have a spray containing peppermint oil and some other "natural" ingredients that does a great job repelling fleas and mosquitoes. Just not ticks :lol:.

· Registered
5,304 Posts
I've heard dryer sheets are good for ticks, to rub your skin, clothes with one and then put them in your pockets. Plus they last more than one time since they aren't being dryed in a dryer. a hunting site said they put them in their socks, in the dog collars in their pants pockets and in their shirt pockets. to repel ticks that is.

· Resident Aquarium Nerd
10,108 Posts
I've heard dryer sheets are good for ticks, to rub your skin, clothes with one and then put them in your pockets. Plus they last more than one time since they aren't being dryed in a dryer. a hunting site said they put them in their socks, in the dog collars in their pants pockets and in their shirt pockets. to repel ticks that is.
I've heard that too but I'm not sure it works. Might be worth a shot for me since I've already had Lyme anyways. But again, not worth the risk for my dogs to use methods like that. I think it's hard for people who don't live here to imagine how the ticks are :lol:. And how prevalent Lyme disease is. My mom just got it a month ago, for example, and had only been outside to garden. She never found the tick, deer ticks are REALLY small and it might have been on her back or something.

· canis lupus familiaris
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have heard the dryer trick too...just I don't buy dryer sheets cause my detergent softens the water already...making dryer sheets useless. Heck I hardly get static anyway.

But anyway I will give an update on how allerpet works (probably in the review section) after Luna is all healed from her spay.

· Resident Aquarium Nerd
10,108 Posts
I was meaning in addition to and on your self, not eliminating the topical, i haven't tried it myself and my dog will get ticks with frontline plus so he has K9advantix
Ah, ok, I understand :). Luckily my dogs haven't had ticks since starting to use K9 Advantix. Like you, Frontline Plus didn't work on my dogs. I could try it for myself, though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.