Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
5,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so sick of religion. My religious views are not important to you, and yours are not important to me. Your actions are.

Why does religion have to be about your religion sucks, your terrorists, or your religion sucks you think god had a kid with a person? or your religion sucks you have more than one god. Or your religion sucks because you call your god allah, or yaweh or god instead of god, allah, or yaweh. my favorite insult, christians making fun of muslims about allah. for the most part its the same religion.

I just get so annoyed by it, i get annoyed with anti-christian, anti-muslim, anti-hindu and every other religion. Most people believe in the same moral lists. But does that matter? no religion does.

I think religion can be an interesting topic but i get so annoyed when people fight for their religion with out knowing their own or the others religion well enough to discuss let alone fight about it. Or beliving in some parts of the religion like well i drink and gamble but i pray i'm a religious person...

I don't know just needed to rant, religion is becoming more and more news and i'm friends with so many people that have different views and for the most part all is well, but every now and then a religious or country of origin slur is said and it annoys me.

· Betta Bomb
5,417 Posts
Oi, I hear you loud and clear! I think the issues arise because all of these religions teach you to only worship the god/goddess for THAT religion so people end up thinking they have a superior god/goddess and here we are. I'm with you though, I couldn't care less about religion (really, I could not care less) and I don't care if you wear a jesus fish bracelet or memorise the koran or worship trees just don't try to involve others in it if they don't want to. I've gone through the ego-centric phase where my views should be everyone's views (comes with the teenager era) and I was angry when others turned their nose at my beliefs (namely animal rights and the cult of peta). . . So I've been there. To start wars over it? So that it is taboo to discuss religion?? My mom had the fear of god in me when I was young by saying, "Now if anyone asks you what religion you are [on an official document or application form] you don't have to answer them".. I spent many years thinking that united christianity was a huge secret!! It frustrates me, especially when people make a big deal out of it now when I say I'm totally neutral about religion- (by neutral I mean anti-ALL religion) and think I'm the devil. My second year in grade 7 sure my friend was devout catholic or something and thought I was a witch (wiccan) bc I preferred natural spirits to inivisible ones at the time. . . Any way, as you can tell I can go on and on about this. I'm glad you brought it up, it's good to get it off your chest.

· [**||Seahorse Chick||**]
85 Posts
I am on the same page. Most religions claim that love or being nice to one another is the most important thing... So... love each other? Is it really that hard?

I'm not immune to stereotyping (profiling would be a better term) because I would be more afraid of people from a certain religion or sector of religion than another just by the way people in that religion act towards others. I don't hate them or want to convert them, but I am afraid of them. And I think that feeling is perfectly human. Of course once I get to know them, and they are kind individuals, then I see them as kind individuals, but I think it's foolish to assume people based on the company they keep should be given a clean slate.

· Registered
5,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My boyfriend is from saudi so i think i am more aware of it than some, there are 2 types of muslim (there is actually a 3rd no one talks about or claims but that is a different story) and they are fighting as well over which religion is right, its the exact same book, same religion and are taught that it is different.

as some of you may know the koran is written only in arabic (if its in english than its a translation of the koran, not the actual koran) and every word is the same in every koran.

Its just frustrating, its easy for religion neutral people to see most religions think basically the same thing, why all the fighting?

· is a little "special"
4,182 Posts
Not every religious person is how you guys are describing them though. I'm Christian, but I don't go around shoving my ideas down other people's throats, and I don't hate other religions or anything either. To each his own, I guess.
And most of the other religious people I know are the same way. I mean, of course there will be some incredibly extreme/violent people from any religion, who hate everyone else and all that stuff. But you shouldn't just assume that all people are like that.
(And I'm not saying that you guys are stereotyping all religious people either... But it sounds like you've had some bad experiences with it, and I wanted to point out that not everyone is like that! :) )

· Betta Bomb
5,417 Posts
I'm with you Jess, I hate it when people shove it down people's throats. I know like 80-90% of people have religion and I actually don't hear about it a lot. To be honest.

But now, where I come from has a large population of older middle aged super religious people. Just through tradition, life and parents from outport Newfoundland these people have strong religious ties. In the pre-industrial days, each section of Newfoundland outports were religiously segregated. It was only in the mid 90's that Catholic prayer was eliminated from public schools. (I remember having to stand to mumble a prayer or hymn if which meant nothing to me or my family in elementary school) So as each of us are coming from our own backgrounds we have out own opinion of these things.

I totally agree with you, nobody should paint the whole scene with one brush. It's not fair. And if I did , I apologize.

· is a little "special"
4,182 Posts
But one thing to keep in mind is that the news only shows the most extreme cases, and they blow everything up and make it more dramatic. Like, when that Christian church leader was threatening to burn the Koran on 9/11, I didn't know anyone IRL, religious or not, who actually agreed with it.
TV/media just doesn't generally portray groups of people (Or much of anything, really) very accurately at all, so I don't think it's fair to automatically think that someone's beleifs are based on what you have seen on the news. If that makes sense LOL.

· Betta Bomb
5,417 Posts
Media is not a good representation of anything. Really. It's all bias, aimed at getting an audience. To get readers you need to post shocking news. Oh, nvm. If it's something to do with media- than ignore it. Really. It's not worth getting upset over.

· Registered
1,483 Posts
Agreed. People need to take a step back and realize that their religion should join people together, not push everyone else further apart. I took a "World Religions" course in college, and there were SOOO many similarities between all the religions out there - but nobody, in hindsight, notices it. As far as I'm concerned, whatever omnipotent being is out there, if any, all he/she/it/they care about is that we don't kill one another.

· Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
I am Buddhist. And I lean more towards Tibetian Buddhism. I do not judge people for their religion, though I myself have been judged many times. One thing that upsets me is when I look for shows or books that are about Buddhism they refer to it as "Eastern Philosophy". Why is Christianity and such called religion but Buddhism is called a philosophy? Ugh.

Anyhow I always go by what the 14th Dalai Lama believes. As long as someone's beliefs cause them to be a better person and benfit from it and it makes them happy, then it does not matter what religion they are. :)

· Registered
5,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From what i have been taught buddhism is called a philosophy because it is a way of life more than a faith in a diety and you can be buddhist and christian or muslim or whatever other religion you can think of.

· Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
From what i have been taught buddhism is called a philosophy because it is a way of life more than a faith in a diety and you can be buddhist and christian or muslim or whatever other religion you can think of.
Yes you can be "mixed" like a Buddhist-Christian.
Though Buddhism does indeed have it's own gods and deities.
Some are technically gods and also learned peoples. But can still be prayed to and whatnot. Like Tara, Manjushri, Avalokiteshvara (or Kwan Yin in China or Kannon in Japan), Yama, ect..
It is kinda hard to explain. lol
I just mean that it has all the hallmarks of a religion. :)

· Guarded by Waffles
3,257 Posts
The extremists that ruin it for everyone. People have always be persecuted for their beliefs, no matter what they are but say that their religion that is persecuting teaches acceptance. You can't do both. I keep my beliefs to myself and don't go forcing them down others because they're going to believe what they want to believe. Why should my beliefs be any better or worse than another as long as I trying to be the best person I can be?

· Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
The extremists that ruin it for everyone. People have always be persecuted for their beliefs, no matter what they are but say that their religion that is persecuting teaches acceptance. You can't do both. I keep my beliefs to myself and don't go forcing them down others because they're going to believe what they want to believe. Why should my beliefs be any better or worse than another as long as I trying to be the best person I can be?
Yeah I do not understand how some people can say they are a accepting religion but hate you because yours is different.
Besides, I cannot change what I believe. Even if someone harassed me forever. lol

· Registered
25 Posts
I've met a lot of religious people. Not all fit the stereotype. Actually, most who I found fun to be around don't. They pretty much understand religion in their own way, which I find fascinating.

PS. Neither those people, nor I, condemn other peoples faith.

· Registered
49 Posts
Anyhow I always go by what the 14th Dalai Lama believes. As long as someone's beliefs cause them to be a better person and benfit from it and it makes them happy, then it does not matter what religion they are. :)
I have heard that saying before and I love it,, If praying to someone or something makes you feel better and many times makes you healthier by all means do it,, beliefs are strong, religion is strong it brings people together.. however it can also tear people apart,,

I heard on the radio around xmas time "happy your thing too" and I love it.. Its a great way to express your consideration for others beliefs,, I believe more in the do unto others and harm none,, I accept all religions even if they dont accept me,, most of society dosent accept me lol.

The biggest thing that peevs me is the whole seperation of church and state,, there is none.. I think there needs to be more of a seperation,, oh and dont get me started on gay marrage,, the state dosent see it legal because of religious beliefs,, um wtf peoples.

Ill stop there unless anyone wants to adress it lol.

· Registered
149 Posts
7 thumbs up for this one. Religion itself is fine--pretty much ALL religions are fine...yet some of the worst atrocities in human history have been committed in the name of religion, and it seems to bring out the absolute worst in a significant minority of people.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.