Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,
i've read alot of articelces and posts about rat tricks but does anyone know ow to make them pay attetion? i've trained dogs before but i realise rats are diffrent however how can you get them to learn if thier not paying attetion?
Brumby my baby is an explorer at heart and runs everywhere and doesn't stop for anything, treat or no treat. is there anyway to calm down or make her stop and learn?
Rin is more calm but very shy and doesn't dare move into light or exposed places so im thinking i might not have much luck with her but brumby is interested in anything new but only long enough to sniff and run lol
any advice is apreached and ive attached some photos of my girls exploreing:D

Attachments

·
Fluffy Gerbilshorts
4,378 Posts
As for getting their attention you can always try to do things when they are in the cage, like when you are giving them treats you can make a kissy noise. When they are outside of the cage and you make a kissy noise they will know that they're getting treats! You have to start in small doses like that. Just make them associate something with some they like (treats) and then go from there.

My rats learned to pull on my shirt sleeve when they had to go in their cage to pee. I just taught them by letting them free range for a few minutes, then when they were on my shoulder, I would tug on my sleeve and put them in the cage. Eventually they got it and what was amazing was by the end, after only teaching 2 rats, they all learned it. Cool huh?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
You might start by doing your training sessions in a smaller area, with less room for them to escape and explore. :) I made my boys a playpen when they were really young, and that's where I trained them to do all sorts of tricks and things. (They still have the playpen--and actually they now have 24/7 access to it, since it's attached to their cage.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts