Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· canis lupus familiaris
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess what guys? I woke up and guess who had a puddle under him. Poor ol Spyro. I called the vet and she told me that her and some of the other vets were talking about multiple potty problem dogs. I guess someone in their get together or whatever have suggested indoor potty training for such situations. She didn't tell me how to do it though lol. I have stumbled across a few sites but I guess I just need a push in the right direction. Does anyone know of any scent based things that work? I know some pee pads supposedly have some but I haven't bought any in years (well ever. Last time we used them was when Spyro was little which was all the way back in 2000.)

I hope this works though.

· Registered
2,020 Posts
what about getting a potty patch ? its basically a grass patch (fake grass) on a tray that has a pee pad under it, it smells like grass to.

· Registered
2,020 Posts
Really? lol never heard that it smelled like grass! Yeah I was considering that or ugodog.
yah theres even a spray out now that when the grass smell wares off that you can appearntly buy and spray on it again. not sure how well it works as i just use a normal, peepad tray.

· Premium Member
4,281 Posts
I got one of those ugodog things when my dog was a puppy and didn't like it. When I got mine they where like $50 too, and it's just plastic. I could have made something on my own with a low sided plastic tote and grating and it would have been way less money.

Anyways, it didn't work well for my dog. He would go to the bathroom and if he didn't aim perfectly for the middle of the thing, he'd get pee and poo running off the edges onto the floor next to the ugodog. It's light too, so yeah my dog would remove the grates on top when he was a puppy and he could easily move the entire thing across the floor if/when he wanted too. He's a toy breed dog too.

If you're going to try indoor potty training, I'd recommend either looking at dog litter boxes (with higher sides to help them keep everything in the right place) or like Nibbler suggested looking a systems that use either real or fake grass/sod. Make the indoor potty as distinctive as possible, so the dog knows what it is and what it's for and can't mistake anything else for a bathroom area. I've heard a lot of stories where people used potty pads and dogs would start peeing on things like area rugs and blankets, etc. To a dog, an area rug or a towel or something on the floor can look very similar to a potty pad.

· canis lupus familiaris
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow thanks for the warning!

I guess I will have to check out the grass ones again. Before they felt so fake. Exactly like the turf they use on football fields. Some even claimed "just like real grass." Maybe I can construct one. There is a synthetic grass place around here that really does make synthetics that feel and look real.

· Registered
2,020 Posts
I think if I where ever to try one again, I'd just make my own. I've looked around at them a bit and a lot of the ones I'd probably actually try seem overpriced.

There are grass ones out there that use real grass too. I think you'd just have to replace the sod every so often, I'm not sure.
I paid about 20 for mine but if u can make one on ur own thats great i was never creative like that :) it would definetly save money instead of paying 50 for a potty patch.

· Registered
801 Posts
Hopefully your dogs will like it when you introduced litter box, plan it thoroughly so they will get used to it at early time.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hmm...

I have search some reliable sites and look at youtube as well to look for potty trainings. They seemed to look easy.. Yeah, they only looks easy. I hate when I have to start doing it. Such a mess..
For now, I've been using peepad for my new pup(a basset hound), 5 months, male. He's the newest craze in the house. My friend told me to enroll him at 6 months to a training school. Hope it works out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.