Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I wanted to ask if anyone has used those rodent play pens that they have out? And if so, what is your experience with them for chinchillas?
I have one that tends to get separation anxiety when I travel and though I don't do it often, I think a travel cage of sorts would be cheaper than the vet bills. He chews himself if I'm away for any period of time. Unfortunately, I had to go away this time because my grandfather died and my grandmother needed care. My husband was home with him but he still chewed himself. This seems to be directly correlated with my being away because the only other time he's done it, that has been the case. I was gone for a week this time.
I have a fairly small car so I need something that would collapse easily to take on the go. (or is small enough to fit in the car) His current cage does not fit. We have to borrow a mini van to transport that. That's why I was thinking about the rodent play pens. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

·
I'm not weird, I'm gifted
1,530 Posts
I would buy a rabbit or GP cage, and use that. It's not big enough, but if it's only for a few days, it's not a problem.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. That was my other thought...especially because he gets lots of out of the cage play time normally.

·
I'm not weird, I'm gifted
1,530 Posts
It's also a nice cage to have in case of emergencies.
One of our chis went trough an operation and needed to be confined in a small cage, where he could not jump around that much, and we could keep an eye on the wound.
A small GP cage was perfect for that :)

·
chinchilla breeder
321 Posts
I have a ferret barn that I use for emergencies/recovering animals and in case of travel with a chinchilla. (like when I go to a show and need to bring someone for reasons other than showing)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts