Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has ever had any experience flying with rats. I have to move in a couple of months and I REALLY REALLY do not want to give up my two rats (Oreo and Liam) :( . I currently live in CT and I have to move to Puerto Rico, so the only option is flying (it is a 3 1/2 - 4 hr direct flight), Ive done extensive research online but i havent found much useful information only that they are allowed in cargo. I would hate to send them to cargo only because i have no idea how well they are going to be handled. I have heard many good things about Delta Pet First service but mainly about dogs. Any suggestions or ideas? I also found a "company" (fly pets . com ) that ships animals to different airports, but again, i am not sure how true their services are.

ANY help will be greatly appreciated. I want to do what its best for them.

Thank You

Frances :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Have you called the airline you plan on flying? My Mother flies often, and is allowed to travel with Yippenstein, her Teacup Chorkie, as long as he is in a carrier that he cannot escape from, does not make alot of noise. So maybe you could take them on flight with you as carry on? Not sure how my mother does it, but she even takes Yippenstein on cruises with her.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I havent called yet but on their websites it says that rats are allowed only in cargo and not in cabin. Im just worried about how safe it is. I dont know if anyone has ever had traveled with them in cargo and how well they did.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
well if I were you i'd call them :)
and I would also call the immigration of puerto rico, because it's one thing to get your rats on the plane, it's another for them to be allowed through the border!
Also, ask if your rats need any vet proof that they are healthy!
I have moved from france to the US and back a couple of times with 4 cats and a dog. All these animals need vaccines etc that were done at an exact time before the flight.
I doubt rats really need vaccines or anything, but I know that to cross into the US from canada with rats by car, they need to be healthy and if deemed unhealthy by the costums, they are kept in quarantine and you have to pay for it.
So really i think call the airline to know about them traveling on board rather than cargo, and then call the BORDER you're going to cross! or immigration! the airline may be able to help you with that.
I've also heard great stuff about flypets.com, read an article about it in a magazine.
I had my cats and dog in cargo, and even though they didn't enjoy it, they were fine. We had one cat with us once because he was old. And he managed to get the traveling cage partly open (There was a sliding door at the top to pet the animal) and started to get out!
they have medicine that make animals sleepy so they sleep and are relaxed through the flight, but I don't know if that exists for rats!

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
Usually when you move to a new place they have to be quarantined, but that's off topic :)
Sorry I'm not sure, but I would definitely call the airline!

·
Fluffy Gerbilshorts
4,378 Posts
I would definitely call whomever you have to about taking the rats across the border. Because of all these bans and stuff they might not be allowed in the country.

I would check out carrying them on as well.

Even if they do have to go into cargo, I wouldn't worry too much about them. The flight doesn't seem that long and I'm sure they'll bounce back within a few days. Just make sure they have plenty to drink (i wouldn't think they would necessarily need food, maybe just a few treats) because the cargo area can probably get pretty hot, especially now that it's summer. Frozen fruits can also help with hydration in the summer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont think they need to be quarantined. PR is considered part of the US so the regulations are the same as if i was flying from one state to another. I called Delta Airlines and they do not accept rats in the cabin, they do however, accept them as cargo with their Delta's Pet First service (not sure how good it is). The only thing that worries me is that maybe when in cargo they are going to get tossed around :( . I dont have to move until prob 4 months from now, so I will continue to find options. If anyone finds anything please let me know!

Thanks

:)

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
actually it is COLD in cargo even in the summer because you are at a high altitude. I might get hot wile the plane is in station, but in the air it's pretty cold!
Make sure you have a nice traveling cage that is secure and won't open in half if there is an impact. And put some nice soft blankets/fleece in it and it should be fine :) I think they strap every cage normally so it should be fine!
Make sure you put something in there that smells like their cage or like you!
and if PR is an american state, than you don't need to worry about border things :) no quarantine nothing, just the trip over. I think that for 4 hours of flight, your little ones will be fine. I wouldn't put water because it might spill and they'll be all wet the whole trip. Ask the airline how hot or cold it gets for them, if it's hot perhaps have a little wet piece of fabric they can lie on to cool down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts