Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends degu is basicaly living on critical care at this point (hes getting old and has teeth problems) and we were wondering if there were any extracts or oils (like baking ingrediant oils) that could be added to it to get him to eat more??

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Has he been to a vet? What did the vet say? How old is the degu?

I would focus more on trying to fix the teeth. Degus can't live on critical care as a staple--especially since it contains sugar, if I remember correctly.

The degu's vet may be able to flavor it or make suggestions. Carrot juice might flavor it (most degus love carrots) but I don't know of any oils offhand that would make the degu eat more.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
How about some nice juicy grubs? :) They're soft, and it'd give him sufficient protein. He'd probably be able to eat them pretty easily. My mouse loves wax worms...thinks they're just gooey enough, lol.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
**Has he been to a vet? What did the vet say? How old is the degu?

He's 7 years old. His teeth have been out of control & growing down into his jaw & up into skull (through the roots) for two years now.

**I would focus more on trying to fix the teeth. Degus can't live on critical care as a staple--especially since it contains sugar, if I remember correctly.

The vet tried to pull his teeth out soon after we found out to see if it would help, but they'd already fused with his bones so there was no chance of removal. Basically it's just a matter of trying to keep him with a good quality of life for as long as possible. Every month to two months he has to go back in under sedation & have his teeth ground. It's his back teeth, not the front where they're easily done. His bottom molars have grown down through his jaw causing bumps but still no real damage. He's on a maintainance dose of metacam daily for the pain and still really loves life. He only needs to be fed the critical care when his teeth get really bad right before his vet appointments but he's been fed it for so long he's gone from loving it to really fighting it.

**The degu's vet may be able to flavor it or make suggestions. Carrot juice might flavor it (most degus love carrots) but I don't know of any oils offhand that would make the degu eat more.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to see if that will help at all! I've never tried carrots so it may work. I haven't asked my vet yet about additives as I'm still able to force the unflavored anise critical into him, but it would be nice if he didn't hate it. :D

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
We use a variety of (organic) fruit and veggie baby foods for the critical care we use for guinea pigs. I would be wary of anything too sugary (obviously!).

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
How about some nice juicy grubs? :) They're soft, and it'd give him sufficient protein. He'd probably be able to eat them pretty easily. My mouse loves wax worms...thinks they're just gooey enough, lol.
I'm sorry but this is ridiculous advice. Degus don't eat and shouldn't ever eat insects. They're herbivores and that amount of protein and fat could seriously harm a degu. Please don't give advice on animals you haven't kept :(.

To the OP: It sounds like you're doing your best, I agree that baby food may be the way to go. Good luck with him and please keep us updated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts