Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ohkayy.. A couple months or so ago, I bought three fancy mice. I guess I didn't think too far ahead, because I was not planning on breeding them. Sure enough, though, two of them got pregnant a little while later.
I read up on it a little bit and moved the females into a tank away from the male. I give them plenty of food and water and also gave them some materials to build a nest.
The pregnancies seemed to go fine and they both had a their babies; one yesterday afternoon, and the other this morning.
The two moms (Celia and Baily) have gotten along fine so far. They both take care of the babies together and don't fight whatsoever. And what I have seen of the babies, though I've only peeked a few times through a hole in the nest, they seem healthy.
I'm a little worried about Baily though. After Celia gave birth, she immediately returned to normal (running on the wheel, eating, grooming). But Baily, (the one who gave birth this morning) seems very tired still. She's also still very plump, though not in the pregnant-looking way. Her fur is very ruffled and she sits on the wheel but doesn't run on it and she also spends alot of time in the nest. I'm very worried that she's sick or too weak from the pregnancy (she was really huge before she gave birth and I'm guessing she had a bunch of babies. Whereas Celia was alot smaller in her pregnancy.) I'm assuming that Baily's just needs more time to recover because she was so big and did the majority of the nest building. But, I don't want to neglect her if she does need some extra attention.
Do you think Baily will be okay?
*Also: Is it okay that I have the two mothers with both their litters in the same tank, or was that a huge mistake?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and also, a question about food.
I was feeding them mouse and rat food, but when that got low, my mom got hamster and gerbil food :p
So will it hurt them to eat this new food?
And what other treats should I put in the cage for the extra protien?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I cant help with the who how are my momma bits but I might be able to help about protein. Nuts, eggs, and bits of meat work well from what Ive been told. Ive a young pregnant momma rat and Im slowly working with her, so Im an accidental first time breeder as well, though mine came pre-ferilized :winky:

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Hamster/Gerbil food tend to be much higher in fat and protein than Mouse/Rat food. It normally would not be recommended, however, since they just gave birth I would think it is ok for them to be eating it. Just switch back when the whole baby situation is over.

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Oh, I got confused. Oops. I did not notice how old this thread was!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts