Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
I thought the ASPCA was another HSUS type of organization- I would take what they say with a grain of salt. Sure cats love their territory... When they're outside to establish it! Inside the human is top cat and they have adapted thousands of years to living with humans so they're fine. I am fully for having a pair of cats bc I have seen how much they love and cuddle.
My mom and sister lived together when they got their cats at different times (Illusion as a kitten and Mama was an adult street rescue) And they were integrated fine. They can read each other's body language to know when enough's enough.
In the meantime, there is such thing as having too many cats. In a house they still have their preferences and space needs. I lived with my cousin who "collected" cats she thought she was saving. The psychological needs of the cats were ignored in favor of their basic survival needs. She felt if they at least had a home they were fine. -_- So the cats formed cliques and bullied the anti-social one it was just a sin. They seemed to always be uptight and picky.
I have no advice on integrating cats. My boyfriend's dad had 2 cats upsrairs and 2 downstairs and over the summer he would just open the door and leave the house. By the time he came back the cats would have established corners and boundaries. They're all fine now but I heard 2 scuffs since being here. I would love to get a friend for Oliver when I go home to Newfoundland but I think the apartment is far too small to give each cat their space. Plus, my bunny would hate me! She already hates me for letting Oliver come in the house. It took a while to build a bunny bond following Coco's passing but now it's mostly gone bc of the cat. I could never bring myself to get another cat while I have Acacia.

Anyway, follow your heart and even trial adopt a cat to see if they connect. It's possible that they might not take right away.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
I have seen aged pets bond to younger ones. My bf's dad has a 13 yr old cat (Cheeks) and a younger cat about 5 yrs. Granted, they were both adopted the same time so they both came on the car ride home to explore a new environment together. Now they cuddle and play and wrestle and groom each other. I'm sure it will be hard if Cheeks gets sick before Henry due to age though :(

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.