Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a breeder for ten years and have never come across this so I am very confused. I bred two standard rats to each other and I ended up with 4 rex coated and 1 standard coat. The crazy part is rex id dominant and there is no way to get a rex baby if both parents are standards because since is dominant in order for the babies to get it the parents MUST show the gene. I am very confused. I only have the one buck so there is no way she could have bred with another male and they are the only two in the cage. The four babies have the curly whisker's and a wavy coat...did I discover something new? I am very confused and have never seen this in 10 years.

·
Dinky Gerbilelbow
2,425 Posts
Maybe there is rex in their background that you missed somehow??? Those babies sound cute though! I really want a rex or 2!! xx

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ive been studying genes and heredity lately and that is quite strange so say if R is the dominant gene (rex) and r is normal.

So if the parents have the Rr gene which makes them hybrids they must be rex but in this case there rr because they are not Rex.

Perhaps if here ancestors were RR or Rr the could still possibly have those babies but that is very unusual.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hmm Maybe they are hairless. Hairless rats have curly whiskers, when they are babies, they grow curly fur which falls out. Or they could be mock hairless which has a short shaven rex look but they keep their fur. Possible they could also be Satin. Satins have kinky whiskers, though not as curly as rex. Their fur as youngsters are usually longer & whispy and possible be confused with a relaxed rex.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts