Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do rabbits need vaccinations? If so, what type. I've read Angora's don't need them but I'm not sure. I also have a lionhead and 2 shorthair that I don't know what kind they are. Any help would be appreciated!:)

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
It depends on where you live. In the United States they don't require any vaccinations.

In some other countries they can be vaccinated against Myxomatosis and Viral Haemorrhagic Disease. I know both those vaccinations are commonly given to rabbits in the UK.

If you live in a different country other than the US or UK, your rabbit vet should be able to tell you if they require any vaccinations.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, you've been a great help! Since I live in the US, I won't worry about that anymore. Now, I have another question. Can a rabbit pass any disease to a human through a bite? My lionhead was after his food in my hand before I could put it down in his cage last night and he jumped up and bit me really hard. After he bit, it made me wonder...:confused:

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Not that I know of. Rabbits don't get rabies (Thus the lack of vaccination requirements) so you'll be fine.

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
Vaccines aren't required in the US because we don't have myxi and VHD present in our population of wild rabbits. In Australia and the UK wild rabbits have been exposed to and carry these deadly diseases.

If you got a pet because it's cheap you picked the wrong hobby! :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.