Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I had an wonderful idea. I think im going to become vegitarian. Once i get rid of some of the meat in the freezer wich isnt a whole lot. This would almost make me a veagan though. I dont drink a whole lot of milk I can have yogert and other things but plain milk makes my tummy hurt. And cheese

SO i need some recipies!!! :) Thanks

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
woah ok... that rennet stuff sounds kinda gross... what exactly is it for... I am not becoming veagen... I cant drink straight milk but i can have cheese and stuff for some reason even though im lactos intolerant i can handel yogert, cheese, and icecream.

anything thats good... I gotta try some new things... I am thinking of still eating fish but considering i only like halibut, cod and shrimp i should just become a full blown veggie

·
Registered
303 Posts
woah ok... that rennet stuff sounds kinda gross... what exactly is it for... I am not becoming veagen
Whether you are becoming vegan or not, cheese isn't vegetarian. It contains dead animal parts, ie. rennet. There is a difference in eating products from animals (honey, milk, eggs) and eating products made of animal. Rennet is completely unecessary in cheese. Check the ingredients to be sure. We buy rennet free cheddar and mozza from the grocery store. It isn't anything special and is readily available.
http://www.vegsoc.org/info/cheese.html
Rennet is only taking from calves because adult cows no longer contain the enzyme needed. Conveniently, it is often taken from veal calves. :(

The reason that cheese and yogurt don't bother you is because during the process of making it, lactose is consumed by the microorganisms.

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
:) We had several recipes posted here in the past as well, you may want to browse this section.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In the making of Tillamook Cheddar, we utilize a microbial/vegetable-based rennet (which has Kosher and Halal certification, and is approved for vegetarian products). Milk color tends to vary during the course of the year due to changes in the cow's diet. For decades, cheddar has been colored to maintain consistency in its appearance throughout the year. In order to create the traditional yellow typical of cheddar, we incorporate a natural vegetable coloring extracted from the annatto tree grown in the tropics.
OK is that ok??? I seriously freaked out!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I prefer non-dyed cheddar. It tastes the same just looks a bit unusual. When I can't buy organic (non-dyed), I buy Clover Leaf which is a Canadian brand.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I quit cold turkey. I didn't notice anything adverse. I used to get stomach aches quite often but I hardly ever get them now. It might be coincidence but I doubt it.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
your tummy aches stopped when you quite eating meat?

My roommate said that she stopped because the meat rotts inside out body then we digest it... People used eat rotten meat... something along those lines

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
meat stays in your digestion system for ages so not eating too much of it is good for your system.
I wondered why I did not like cheese...Im not partial to a bit of cows stomachs although when I was a kid my mum was always trying to get me to eat tripe but I always refused.
I tried to become vegetarian once but then one day I was cooking something and sat down to eat it and then suddenly realised I was eating chicken nuggets.
I think it was my subconcious telling me to eat it.
Good luck with it though

·
Registered
303 Posts
I tried to become vegetarian once but then one day I was cooking something and sat down to eat it and then suddenly realised I was eating chicken nuggets.
That almost happened to me a few times. I think it is more habit than anything else.

If anyone is interested, there is a great forum for vegetarians and vegans called Veggie Boards. I would highly recommend it. There are all degrees of veg*ans (abbreviation for vegetarians and vegans) there so even if you are only considering a veg*an lifestyle, you are welcome. :)

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I joined that sight!!! There looks to be some yummy recipies i was looking and just said to myself... WOW i think i can do this... lol i was scared because i am a pickie eater and all that fun stuff.... just worried about christmas and holliday meals with grandparents!!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
WOW i think i can do this... lol i was scared because i am a pickie eater and all that fun stuff.... just worried about christmas and holliday meals with grandparents!!!
I can totally relate. I wasn't necessarily a picky eater but I have learned to love a lot of new foods, like meat analogs, cucumbers (they used to make me gag), mushrooms, etc. And I was VERY worried about holidays. But if you plan ahead, it's not too bad. :)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts