Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh,some people piss me off.

I was out walking/doing some deliveries earlier and a man with a HUGE chocolate Lab was coming towards me. I love Labs,but this guy was huge (probably the biggest Labrador I ever seen) and was barking and growling and acting aggressive as they came closer to me. So I tried to ignore them,but the man had the dog on a little head halter and had basically no control over the dog. The dog started coming towards me and the man said in a soft voice I might add..."go say hello,go say hello" to his dog. The dog was NOT acting friendly. I been around dogs long enough to know body language and behavior.

Well the dog sort of lunged at me barking and growling and I stepped out of the way and only then did the man pull the dog back and then had the gall to tell his dog "what a bad boy". Uhhh...IDIOT,you told your dog to say "hello" even though it was clear the dog was not friendly and I had no interest!! So why the **** are you scolding the dog now? The dog is confused and DEF needs training.

People like that annoy me to no end! Not only is that not good behavior in case someone gets hurt,but it is also rude. I love dogs,but I don't want strange dogs coming up to me like that. If I want to say hello to a dog,I will ask the owner first and approach myself.

Ugh...just needed to vent.

·
she-mayor of Whoville
289 Posts
I love dogs too and have one, but what some owners don't get is that not every person wants to say hello to the dog. In fact, one of my past trainers said that the person should be greeted before the dog.. you know, human to human. I agree with this because as an owner, we should greet the person before our dog greets the person (or person greets dog).. that way we can have a mini conversation "Hello, nice to meet you" "hello, you too", "my dog is friendly, would you like to pet him/her?" or "hello, you have a nice dog, can I pet him/her" All while the dog sits and waits to be paid attention to. Of course, this is ideal, and requires much training.. but this is how it should be.

I get pissed off when I walk my dog, and people go straight for him and never say hello to me. I can also totally see your point, that if a dog is to be around other people, namely strangers, he/she should be fit and under control by the owner so that all interactions are pleasant and not confusing for the dog- and so they are not uncomfortable for the other person. Mixed signals, as you mentioned, do confuse dogs and often reinforce the bad behavior.

·
she-mayor of Whoville
289 Posts
ugh that reminded me of a time when I went over to an ex friend's house, and she had a young but large dog (i'm not going to specify breed because there is a huge stigma against them) who was very sweet except she had no training whatso ever.. and me being 5'2 and 100 lbs, this dog was quite large for me.. Anyway, my ex friend (ex friend for a reason) just let her dog jump up on me to say hi, which turned into the entire time me trying to get the dog off me .. she scratched me, used teeth a little bit, and just basically figured out that she could really get in my face and on top of me with no consequences.. it was like a game for her because the harder i pushed her off of me, the harder she tried to get in my space.. of course my "friend" kept saying "oh she's just saying hello! she's just being friendly!" but i was seriously being what I considered "mauled" by this dog.. So finally i used my tools from dog training and yelled "OFF! OFF!" but to no avail, and then I got yelled at my friend for yelling at her dog. this is probably a good example of the kind of dog/owner relationship that is doing more harm than good.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
It kind of sounds like he is trying really hard to train it, maybe talked to a trainer and they suggested the head harness and to greet more people... He isn't doing it correctly but it sounds like he is trying.

I hate it when kids come running at my dog. He's good with kids but he barks and growls at them when they come running at him. Not that i blame him i want him to growl when something comes running at me. People need to control their kids and their dogs.

·
she-mayor of Whoville
289 Posts
i agree completely, it's a 2 way street- people should have their dogs under control, but also, a person should be under control when they approach a dog. it's just common sense and no one wants to be accused of their dog being to aggressive when they are just behaving according to instinct when they feel threatened. Ok im done haha

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
That is annoying, especially if the dog is acting aggressively. My dog LOVES greeting people during our walks, he's very friendly, but I never let him approach people until they either approach us first or they ask me if they can pet him.

I think it's worse sometimes when I'm walking my dog and other people let their dogs just walk up to us without asking or saying anything. My dog loves other dogs, but not all of them are friendly towards him. I can't understand for the life of me why, if you have a dog who isn't friendly, you'd let him or her approach strange people and/or dogs especially without asking the person first.

Maybe the guy was trying to train his dog though and just not going about it the right way. Either way he should have asked you before letting the dog approach, but hopefully he is trying to train it and will eventually get the dogs issues worked out.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love dogs too and have one, but what some owners don't get is that not every person wants to say hello to the dog. In fact, one of my past trainers said that the person should be greeted before the dog.. you know, human to human. I agree with this because as an owner, we should greet the person before our dog greets the person (or person greets dog).. that way we can have a mini conversation "Hello, nice to meet you" "hello, you too", "my dog is friendly, would you like to pet him/her?" or "hello, you have a nice dog, can I pet him/her" All while the dog sits and waits to be paid attention to. Of course, this is ideal, and requires much training.. but this is how it should be.

I get pissed off when I walk my dog, and people go straight for him and never say hello to me. I can also totally see your point, that if a dog is to be around other people, namely strangers, he/she should be fit and under control by the owner so that all interactions are pleasant and not confusing for the dog- and so they are not uncomfortable for the other person. Mixed signals, as you mentioned, do confuse dogs and often reinforce the bad behavior.
There is a local trainer here and he is VERY good. I went to one of his seminars (the rescue organization I am involved with,all went) and this is EXACTLY what he says. The people should greet first and have the dogs sit before meeting each other.

ugh that reminded me of a time when I went over to an ex friend's house, and she had a young but large dog (i'm not going to specify breed because there is a huge stigma against them) who was very sweet except she had no training whatso ever.. and me being 5'2 and 100 lbs, this dog was quite large for me.. Anyway, my ex friend (ex friend for a reason) just let her dog jump up on me to say hi, which turned into the entire time me trying to get the dog off me .. she scratched me, used teeth a little bit, and just basically figured out that she could really get in my face and on top of me with no consequences.. it was like a game for her because the harder i pushed her off of me, the harder she tried to get in my space.. of course my "friend" kept saying "oh she's just saying hello! she's just being friendly!" but i was seriously being what I considered "mauled" by this dog.. So finally i used my tools from dog training and yelled "OFF! OFF!" but to no avail, and then I got yelled at my friend for yelling at her dog. this is probably a good example of the kind of dog/owner relationship that is doing more harm than good.
You can mention breeds here,most people are not against certain breeds. I for one love "bully breeds" and mastiffs,rotties,dobes and such. However they do need to be trained properly. That is another thing that annoys me though,owners who think that everyone should be "mauled" by their friendly dogs.

I love dogs a lot,but I find it incredibly rude if a dog comes into my space uninvited like that and even ruder if the owner encourages it.

It kind of sounds like he is trying really hard to train it, maybe talked to a trainer and they suggested the head harness and to greet more people... He isn't doing it correctly but it sounds like he is trying.

I hate it when kids come running at my dog. He's good with kids but he barks and growls at them when they come running at him. Not that i blame him i want him to growl when something comes running at me. People need to control their kids and their dogs.
No,not a HALTER...he had a HEAD HALTER on the dog,which does not do a whole lot of control. An actual halter would of probably been better to control this dog with. Also the man was older,like later 50's,early 60's...so from what I seen,he either cannot control the dog or he just lets the dog do what he wants.

Though it is VERY possible he was training it,but I have trained dogs and have witnessed people training dogs and he was not even "trying".

Yep,I dislike when kids run towards me too. Kids,dogs,strange people...if I don't know you,I don't want you running in my space without proper introduction!

i agree completely, it's a 2 way street- people should have their dogs under control, but also, a person should be under control when they approach a dog. it's just common sense and no one wants to be accused of their dog being to aggressive when they are just behaving according to instinct when they feel threatened. Ok im done haha
Oh I totally agree.

I am a sucker for greyhounds and big doggies and I love them and meeting with them. I always ask the owner FIRST though. I like taking pictures of dogs a lot too,especially at expos and stuff and even then I almost always ask the owners before taking a picture. And I won't approach a dog without talking to the owner first. Otherwise that is just asking for trouble.

At these expos and such though,sometimes after I have "met" the owner and people already,if they are still around I might go up and give the dog a pat,but never if I didn't talk to the owner first.

When out walking foster dogs,I hate when kids run up to dogs or reach out to pet the dog without saying anything to me. I remember one time I was walking 3 greyhounds (now you and me know these are some of the most docile,tolerant dogs generally) and this kid runs right up spooking the dogs. I knew these dogs like the back of my hand though and knew they wouldn't bite,but I scolded the kid and the parent who was several feet away,I told him he should teach his kid about running up to strange dogs,as that can end in disaster! Also it annoyed me to NO END.

My daughter is almost 7 and I have told her never to touch someone's dog or a strange dog. And if there is a person,then do not touch the dog without asking.

That is annoying, especially if the dog is acting aggressively. My dog LOVES greeting people during our walks, he's very friendly, but I never let him approach people until they either approach us first or they ask me if they can pet him.

I think it's worse sometimes when I'm walking my dog and other people let their dogs just walk up to us without asking or saying anything. My dog loves other dogs, but not all of them are friendly towards him. I can't understand for the life of me why, if you have a dog who isn't friendly, you'd let him or her approach strange people and/or dogs especially without asking the person first.

Maybe the guy was trying to train his dog though and just not going about it the right way. Either way he should have asked you before letting the dog approach, but hopefully he is trying to train it and will eventually get the dogs issues worked out.
Like I said,it is possible he was training or trying...but it sure didn't look like he was trying to train the dog very hard. Unless he JUST got the dog or something.

When I get a new foster dog,almost always they are not trained. Beagles are super friendly dogs though and often wanna see EVERYONE. However I do not allow them to get into people's spaces and rather the person come to the dog (ASK me first though).

Anyway this was just an annoying part of my day today...

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Whoa...sorry for the long post!

Edited to add: also even if I have the world's friendliest dog,it does not mean I wanna meet everyone! That is another peeve of mine. People who assume that other dog owners wanna mingle. I mean sure sometimes it is fun,but I do not wanna meet every person I see.

With the greyhounds,I had people stop me on every corner...it was fine some times,but other times I just didn't wanna deal with people and felt people were getting into my space. People need to respect other people's boundaries.

I am rambling now.

·
she-mayor of Whoville
289 Posts
you had a lot of good points. The breed was pit bull, and I know so many docile, loving pit bulls. That's why I didn't want to seem like I was condemning the breed. poor guys, always get the short end of the stick.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you had a lot of good points. The breed was pit bull, and I know so many docile, loving pit bulls. That's why I didn't want to seem like I was condemning the breed. poor guys, always get the short end of the stick.
I know,I never met a mean "pit". I have only met or knew a few,but they were all sweeties.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Ugh, I feel your pain. I have a rough time walking my dog because of people like that. She can be very reactive towards other dogs when she's leashed so a random dog running over freaks her out :(. It's difficult because I've been trying to work with her but a dog running up to us and barking pretty much sets us back to square one.

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
I have had many equally frustrating situations like all of your before.
I have been helping my sister teach her Chihuahua to walk more calmly on a leash. Well I was walking him (Chico) one day and this huge white dog started stalking him from a parking lot. I saw the dog's owner leaning against a car and with a very light voice saying "Ranger, come back, come back". Well, needless to say, the dog was not listening to him. And big huge surprise the dog was not leashed. Chico started getting upset and shaking so I pulled him closer to me and tried walking away. The dog began to move faster. He was low to the ground with his eyes fixed on Chico.
I knew the dog was going to attack once he reached him. Meanwhile the guy is still standing there saying the same thing over and over. His dog suddeny lunged and I had to pull Chico up by his leash into my arms in order to protect him. Only when the dog tried to bite did the owner calmly walk over and grab the dog.
I should not have to fear for my pets and my life every time I go out for a **** walk. What is wrong with some people. If he did attack Chico he could have easily killed him or at the very least scarred him for life, making him afraid of other dogs.

I have also had the kids running up problem. More so when I walk the ferrets. I even tell them to stay away and not to touch them but they just wait for me to look away and snatch one up. That annoys me so much that I try to walk at night so I do not run into kids.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
My dog was attacked by large roaming dogs, He was beaten with sticks by kids in the neighborhood and grew a responsive aggression towards kids and sticks for a while when we were young and lived in the 'hood' of our city :p Needless to say, as a 30 lb dog, Coco is manageable when dogs approach. I learned to use leash signals and body language to establish control of my walks.

I do remember one night some skeets let their boxer go to the car without a leash and it would have killed Coco if my Matt didn't haul Coco up on his harness. Then in my arms the boxer nearly got at me, snapping at me and barking and growling. Matt stood between me and the dog and the owners stood by the car holding the door yelling to it to come to the car!! I only wish it bit me now so I could get the dog taken from their care and rehabilitated. Poor thing. Boxers have the potential to be such good family pets.

Another time, this is what made me so afraid of ever owning a dog I cannot carry, is when we had Nikki. My sister and I (I think it was you, Lisa) had Coco and Nikki down by a river and some old dude stood while his old sick looking boxer crept up on Nikki. The owner promised me his dog was okay but Nikki must have been eyeing the boxer and likewise it felt a threat and lunged on her. Nikki was too heavy to carry all the way home so we had to wait for a bit and walk very slowly with her.

I think its wonderful that programs are established where officers from the Humane Services go to elementary schools and teach kids how to act around strange dogs. Because it sets up the groundwork for parents who don't think its important to teach their kids about dog safety. Ugh. I can rant forever about irresponisble dog owners.

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
It can be disasterous when strangers decide to approach our pets without asking.
I remember hearing a story about a guy at Petco with his ferret. He had a harness on it and set it down to grab some treats and a kid comes up and grabs the ferret and pushes it's face against her face and the ferret bit her nose. The guy knew the ferret had a taste for peoples noses and, if given the chance, would have told people that before they held it (had they bothered asking). Well, long story short, the parents of the kid had the ferret euthanized.
Poor thing...

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep Amanda, that was me with you and Nikki.

Some people should not have dogs,that is all I have left to say.

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
I too get angry and frustrated with people who don't or can't control their dogs.

One line that makes my blood boil "Oh, she won't hurt you!". Boy that ticks me off. You don't know me, maybe I have an irrational fear of dogs, maybe I have a heart condition and I'll have a heart attack from a dog rushing me, maybe I have a health condition and a dog jumping on me can cause me serious injury. Maybe I don't want mud all over my clothes, or holes ripped in them.

I have a friend I hike with, she used to bring one of her two dogs on some of our hikes. (One is gone now and the other is too old this was years ago) . She is one of those obnoxious dog-people (she's lovely in most other ways though) who doesn't pick up poop, or leash her dog, she just yells at them a lot.

We were sitting on a cliff eating our lunch and the dog was giving me heart failure the way she was dashing along the edge. It was a long ay down the mountain off that cliff.

I was TRYING to hide my irritiation but not doing a very good job of it. Someone came up the trail behind us and Chewy went roaring after him. My friend just sat there and yelled "Chewy!" a few times and then said to the guy "Oh don't worry, she won't hurt you!" He said "Sure she won't" in an extremely sarcastic tone, as he fended the dog off and went on his way.

She turned to me and grumbled "I hate it when people say that". I was at the end of my tether and said "well I hate it when people say what YOU said. You just let Chewy run all over, the place, you don't even care if she scares someone half to death, and you never stop yelling at her, even though she just ignores you anyway, it's REALLY annoying"

She was quiet after that for awhile, and she never brought either dog on our hikes again, thank goodness.

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Why do people yell at dogs that clearly don't listen? Clearly screaming at an untrained dog doesn't work.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Why do people yell at dogs that clearly don't listen? Clearly screaming at an untrained dog doesn't work.
I know,in fact it can make things worse.
:rolleyes:

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I too get angry and frustrated with people who don't or can't control their dogs.

One line that makes my blood boil "Oh, she won't hurt you!". Boy that ticks me off. You don't know me, maybe I have an irrational fear of dogs, maybe I have a heart condition and I'll have a heart attack from a dog rushing me, maybe I have a health condition and a dog jumping on me can cause me serious injury. Maybe I don't want mud all over my clothes, or holes ripped in them.

I have a friend I hike with, she used to bring one of her two dogs on some of our hikes. (One is gone now and the other is too old this was years ago) . She is one of those obnoxious dog-people (she's lovely in most other ways though) who doesn't pick up poop, or leash her dog, she just yells at them a lot.

We were sitting on a cliff eating our lunch and the dog was giving me heart failure the way she was dashing along the edge. It was a long ay down the mountain off that cliff.

I was TRYING to hide my irritiation but not doing a very good job of it. Someone came up the trail behind us and Chewy went roaring after him. My friend just sat there and yelled "Chewy!" a few times and then said to the guy "Oh don't worry, she won't hurt you!" He said "Sure she won't" in an extremely sarcastic tone, as he fended the dog off and went on his way.

She turned to me and grumbled "I hate it when people say that". I was at the end of my tether and said "well I hate it when people say what YOU said. You just let Chewy run all over, the place, you don't even care if she scares someone half to death, and you never stop yelling at her, even though she just ignores you anyway, it's REALLY annoying"

She was quiet after that for awhile, and she never brought either dog on our hikes again, thank goodness.
Yes exactly! You have no idea if the person fears dogs or has heart problems or anything! What about allergies? Deathly allergies!? You cannot expect everyone to love your dog. And me as a dog lover, do not appreciate strange dogs I don't coming up to me...friendly or not. It is rude. I dislike those words too..."he won't hurt you".

There is also the case where the dog may bite because he senses something or wants to protect his owner (even if there is no danger)...a dog may feel defensive and bite. Or the dog could be ill and things like parvo,kennel cough and such gets on us and we bring it home to our own dogs. There are MANY reasons I do not want a strange dog coming at me.

I am glad you told your friend that...cause she sounds like someone I would totally go off on about this particular topic...:) People like that annoy me.

Also you might have the friendliest dog in the world,but it doesn't mean everyone is going to love him or her like you do. And it is ignorant for people to ASSume that everyone else will love their dog as much as they do and will want it all in their face.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
seriously, then it goes the other way- like the ferret and people swarm you when you have a dog of fancy. A breed that people do not see every day in your region- like here it's great danes, mastiffs, greyhounds, and other large dogs- oh man, there's like 1 saluki on the island and a couple St.Bernards. So these people must be on the "oh frig, people comes up all the time petting the dog" and you better believe these dogs are well socialised just due to their breed and not being able to bring them anywhere without being stopped. **Newfoundland dogs are supremely over touched and gawked at here, especially in the summer when the tourists pour in. I'm sure its a great compliment to the owner but I'm also sure it gets old. And I guess to have a dog of this type (rarity) you also have to have good people skills so you can communicate with them. Hmm, I'm afraid I am guilty of gawking over not-so-common breeds. BUT I hardly approach them if the owner looks busy bc I know how I would feel. So I just watch them and smile...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts