Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there I've been expanding my Degu habitat and they seem to love it, except out of no where my alpha female started scratching at the plexiglass just in one corner... just wondering why she's doing this... anyone have any ideas??

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Degus just like to dig and females do it a lot because of "nesting" behavior. I can't remember but isn't she with males? Or is that someone else?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yah my female's dig up and actually chew up the plexiglass around my cage all the time!! Every couple days I have to vacumm up all the shred's of plexiglass. I found that if I put more up but put it high enough up that she can't reach it to chew on it then all she can do is dig at it and then I don't have to replace it all the time like I was doing :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is it wierd for three Degus to have lots of nests? they built a huge one on the middle floor, built a small one on the bottom floor, then started building a third on another seperated part of the middle floor, and then to boot they sleep in a little wooden pet house at the highest point in the cage, just wondering if so many nests are normal?

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
is it wierd for three Degus to have lots of nests? they built a huge one on the middle floor, built a small one on the bottom floor, then started building a third on another seperated part of the middle floor, and then to boot they sleep in a little wooden pet house at the highest point in the cage, just wondering if so many nests are normal?
Depends on the degu. Most of mine never built nests but I had one who constantly built large, complex ones.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I personally fnd it very cool, one nest is built mostly of TP but hes stolen everything cardboard and built up the walls into almost a birds nest... then the one on the bottom is a huge pile of wood chips thats hes ten dug into and thrown tp into

1 - 6 of 6 Posts