Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had something happen at work today and I didnt know where else to post to get some input.

I work at a cash register at a liquor store, and I was feeling completely normal. As I had just finished ringing a customer in, all of a sudden it felt like I was in a dream.It looked and felt like the floor had tilted (like i was on the bottom of a hill) And I was so out of it I thought there was an earthquake or something. I stumbled back and bumped into part of my till area and I almost fell over. I have never had anything happen like this before, and I think it might have been vertigo? I was pretty scared and out of it, I tried ringing the next person in and they said "maybe you should get someone to take your till..." I feel kind of embarassed and I am wondering if any one of you has experienced something like this? It was pretty scary when it was happening. Any input would be appreciated....

m

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I had serious vertigo problems in late February/early March. It happened after a particularly bumpy plane flight. According to the doctor (it was so bad I couldn't be in the laboratory so I pretty much had to go) flying with a cold made it more difficult for my ears to equalize. Fluid rushed into one of them and never drained out, leading to infection (which made it even harder to fix them). In the end, I had vertigo (from un-equalized ears), an ear infection, and a sore throat :lol:. I took antibiotics and Prednisone for it :).

I would see a doctor if it happens again since it's usually a sign of something else, like in my case.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Wow, I feel your pain. A couple years ago I guess I was stressed (though that doesn't compare to the stress I have from school) and I was working a lot .. I walked a lot to and from work and in hindsight I just cannot place the cause. But anyway I would get frequent rushes of de ja vu . . But it was weird bc the de ja vu would give me the familiar feeling of the moment but an extreme wave of nausea and would end with a dizziness which blacked my vision for a few seconds. The doctor told me to record the frequency of them and count their durations. There was never medicine given or a real reason (that dr also accused me of being psychosymatic) and then they kinda just stopped.

I know when something like that happens at work, people make the biggest deal of it!! I would try to relax and maybe think about what could be causing it, stress? lack of sleep? underlying illness?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well I started a new birth control called Nuvaring about 2 weeks ago, and apparantly about 4 percent of people taking it have experienced vertigo. I was helping my friend at her stand today at this canada day thing and i felt something similar. I felt really dizzy and there was kind of a treadmill effect when i was walking. it went away after i sat down and had a slushie hahah. Thanks so much for your help you guys! I appreciate it. i will make a doctors appointment

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
well I started a new birth control called Nuvaring about 2 weeks ago, and apparantly about 4 percent of people taking it have experienced vertigo. I was helping my friend at her stand today at this canada day thing and i felt something similar. I felt really dizzy and there was kind of a treadmill effect when i was walking. it went away after i sat down and had a slushie hahah. Thanks so much for your help you guys! I appreciate it. i will make a doctors appointment
Let us know how it goes!

And please be careful, unexpected vertigo can be really dangerous :(. I know for me I couldn't keep my balance at all and it felt like there was an earthquake (same as you). It wasn't the same as the dizziness I get when my blood sugar is too low (I'm hypoglycemic).

Hopefully it'll be as simple as switching birth control. I was glad that for me it was just an ear infection :). The vertigo was gone within days of treatment.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what is hypoglycemia? Diabetes runs in my family but i doubt it would be that. Ive never experienced it before so im hoping its the bc and it will go away... anyone else here on nuvaring?

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
what is hypoglycemia? Diabetes runs in my family but i doubt it would be that. Ive never experienced it before so im hoping its the bc and it will go away... anyone else here on nuvaring?
Low blood sugar. I'm really prone to it for some reason (genetic, I guess, based on family history) so I have to follow a specific meal plan and keep food with me all the time. If I don't eat snacks throughout the day I faint.

But like I said, it's different than when I had vertigo.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
I'm on Nuvaring. Have been for a year and half now. I remember mild side effects like headaches, irritability, loss of lib., and other mild "no-no" area symptoms which lasted maybe up to 2 weeks but maybe not extremely. If that's listed in the side effects than I wouldn't necessarily rule it out. Talk to your dr. Hopefully you can keep it bc it's truly the best thing ever. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts