Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hamster Barry is 2years 2months old and seems very poorly. I've called the Vets but can't get an appointment until tomorrow evening, but could do with some advice to help him out until then.

He's suddenly lacking in energy, it seems as though he's finding walking a real struggle although his actual limbs appear OK. His mouth is swollen and his bottom lip is hanging loosely. He's lost some fur- a strip on his back and the skin seems irritated, and a big patch on his neck and chest. On his neck he's got what seems like an open sore, or may have been an abcess that has burst. His front feet seem a little scaly or scabby too. And his eyes seem a little puffy. He's not too good at all!!

He's always been a great hamster and never had any health problems before. He gets cleaned regularly and fed and watered. I'm wondering if it's because we've moved house recently and it's a bit colder and damper?

I've given him some cucumber and have put some sugary water in his water bottle for now. I have also given him extra bedding and wrapped a blanket around the solid bit of his cage to keep the warmth in.

Does anyone know what might be wrong? Nothing I've seen on the net seems to cover it. And is there anything else I can do to make him more comfortable until the Vet?

Please help!

·
Registered
466 Posts
I don't know much about hams but since their bodies are so tiny, its important to keep them warm. Try putting a heating pad under half of his cage, or a hot water bottle wrapped in something, but have it so that he can get away from it if he's too warm. Keep him away from drafy areas and moniter his eating. Hope he gets well!

·
Registered
93 Posts
It could be old age.. It's sad, but when hamsters get that old they just start to slow down and all health problems arise.

But I hope the vet will be able to give you a better answer for Barry's sake.

I hope he gets better.

·
Registered
525 Posts
The only thing we can offer is encouragement and suggest you see the vet. His age is the question... Getting on a bit, then..:) like my 2 RWWs, who just had their 2nd birthday.. As said above, at that age things just go wrong...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts