Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Dinky Corsetkisser
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year Ashley signs up for a ton of volunteer work and of course I go with her, since she was 8 she has been doing this, passing out food at the shelters, making food boxes at the community food bank...well this last Saturday we made boxes for thanksgiving at the community food bank and they started running out of food...well the local news were called in...we had bags for 2000 but needed so much more, and we only had 2 turkeys...within the hour people in the community came by the droves dropping of turkeys and tons of food...we bagged and boxed for hours...but we are happy to say there will be 15000 families recieving food, we were only able to get 1200 turkeys but we truely tried...we go again December 9th to box up for christmas as well as get toys wrapped for the kids...I was wondering how many other people volunteered...Ashley loves to help but also has been thinking about collage applications since she was 8 lol and decided it would look good on her collage papers...she does about 30 volunteer jobs a year and even recieved a certificate from our govenor and the president for her volunteer work...I just wanted to hear any other encouraging stories...tis the season and all :)

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Thats wonderful to hear!

I do ALOT of volunteer work for Greyhound Pets of Atlantic Canada and Beagle Paws.I enjoy it and have been with these organizations for years.I do different things for them.

I also do some volunteer work every now and again for Ruff Spots,which is an animal welfare foundation that promotes spaying/neutering and raises funds which are donated to shelters and rescues to spay/neuter adoptable animals.I also do volunteer work every October for Easter Seals,I take part in the haunted house they have.

I have done abit of other volunteer work here and there...but the ones I mentioned above are the main ones I help.

·
Dinky Corsetkisser
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for your reply, my daughter wants to volunteer at our local animal shelters and such but they all say she is to young...

alot of people here think its wierd that we do so much around our community and I wanted Ash to see that there are people everywhere with big hearts like hers, I hope you don't mind if I share this with her...she sees the same people at all of her events so I wanted to show her people all over help out in so many other ways as well...her friends tease her for it, kids will be kids...thank you for the reply...

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Nope,I don't mind you show her this.I know some people who are like "why volunteer?You don't get paid" and say stupid things like that.Well I always tell them,it's not about getting paid...it is about going out into the community and having fun,while helping others...whether animals or people and it is rewarding in other aspects then money.Others are just happy I am so involved.

Maybe the shelters say she is too young,in case an animal bites.I know that with our organizations,if someone under 16 wants to volunteer...they have to have the parents sign a consent form and parents have to pick up and drop off their children and often have to be there with them,depending on HOW OLD they are.With Beagle Paws we do have a few under 16 and they are pretty good and regular volunteers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts