Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night spontaneously at 4:30 (bc me and Matt were out and got home then and the winds were down) we had an explosion of wind. Newfoundland is known for it's high winds but check out this newspaper article. Down near the end it notes the gusts of wind.
I went out to the store for a phone card and I was nearly toppled off my feet!! :D It's fun but some people have gotten injured in these wind storms. Trees fall over, TRUCKS on the highway have toppled. Moose and tall heavy animals seek cover bc they find it hard.
So, who wants to come to Newfoundland?!?!?
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Local/2011-12-09/article-2830346/Powerful-wind-wraps-NL-overnight/1

·
Registered
238 Posts
It wasn't quite so bad here in BC but it was still pretty windy! I think Alberta got some 120 km wind gusts or something. We got 90 km which kicked the power for a few hours at work but right as I was leaving (of course). So glad I don't live on the coast! XD

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don't live on the Pacific coast in BC?? I think it would be beautiful to see wild orca's.. Once of my long time dreams. That and seeing a leatherback sea turtle (I need to actually get on the water for either)

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
No snow in hull quebec canada yet ^_^ the snow we have gotten melts within 24 hours.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really? We were blasted with a 50cm snow fall one day. Everything closed down for half the day- it was messy times. But 4 days later it was gone! ^.^ I wish the whole winter was only like MAX 1 foot of snow. :< Unfortunately, the snow here can cover cars and houses easy.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Really? We were blasted with a 50cm snow fall one day. Everything closed down for half the day- it was messy times. But 4 days later it was gone! ^.^ I wish the whole winter was only like MAX 1 foot of snow. :< Unfortunately, the snow here can cover cars and houses easy.
yah im hoping to have adleast a little snow for xmas,
There isn't really anything here its still green grass and bare trees :yes:

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hm, well hopefully it stays off for a bit. Last year the snow didn't start here until mid-January and even then it wasn't that bad. Ahh, global warming...

But if you didn't know- dog berries on trees are a vernacular way of telling what kind of winter you'll have. Last year there was hardly any here and this year the hills are red with them. The volume of dog berries indicates a snowy winter, so this year we're sure in for it!

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
I hope we get a lot of snow here this winter! We had a pretty snowy year last year but it literally didn't start snowing last year until the day after Christmas. I hope it snows before Christmas this year, but with only 12 days left it's looking like the odds are we'll have another snowless holiday.

We had one snow storm here back in like October and it was bad enough that it knocked the power out for a lot of people, some of them for over a week. Loooots of downed trees and stuff like that too. But the snow didn't stick around long, since after that it strangely warmed up a lot again. The weather here has been very strange lately.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Weather worldwide is a bit "off".. I don't want to fall into the whole global warming/occupy such-and-such a place but we need the political world leaders to do something. Unfortunately, with the commodities people use and need there will be no turning back. The world has over 7 BILLION people.

Ach, I'm depressing myself now...

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
It is depressing to think about.

There are lots of things individuals can do to help though, or maybe help isn't the right word? But I personally try to do everything I can within my means to be more environmentally friendly. Seems a bit insignificant sometimes, but the more people who think that way the better off we'd be.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's true. :) Positive individuality. I mean, I recycle and all but I doubt I'm making much of a difference when Acacia's litter needs to be dumped! All that wasted newspaper! :( But I bike and stuff. Cannot really afford economically sound products like clothes detergent (bc the man's allergic to everything)

·
Resident Zoologist
262 Posts
I think Alberta got some 120 km wind gusts or something.
November 27th. Everything from 80kph to 159kph, depending on where you were...my screen door was nearly ripped from its hinges, and my BBQ cover vanished. Windows were ripped from a number of downtown office and apartment buildings...in an unprecedented move, police shut almost all of downtown to traffic, and semis were blown off the highways all over the place.

·
Resident Zoologist
262 Posts
You don't live on the Pacific coast in BC?? I think it would be beautiful to see wild orca's.. Once of my long time dreams. That and seeing a leatherback sea turtle (I need to actually get on the water for either)
I used to...born in Victoria, over a decade within 100m of the beach in Vancouver...used to own a powersailer cruising amongst the Haida Gwaii. Inn Calgary at the moment, but visit the coast often, and will be moving back before long, but its pretty expensive out there these days.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hear you on the winds Toirtis! We lost iconic trees (planted for the Colonial Building in the 1850's) to winds. And I guess Alberta is flatlands too so there's no shielding from the wind! wow. that's crazy.
I assumed living in Vancouver and Toronto would be expensive. I had a cousin work in Alberta and came home complaining of the cost if living there :/ I would still like to visit!

·
Resident Zoologist
262 Posts
And I guess Alberta is flatlands too so there's no shielding from the wind! wow. that's crazy.
Most of what is East of Calgary is...here we are still in the foothills of the Rockies, but the chinook winds coming off the mountains can be absolutely wicked. However...we can be in a state of deep-freeze (-20º to -30ºC) in December-February, and a warm chinook will come roaring down off the mountains, and within hours we can see all the snow disappear, and the temps climb to +10ºC or more (I remember a sunny +22ºC afternoon two days before xmas in 1999). The Blackfoot name for the chinook translates as 'snow eater'.

I assumed living in Vancouver and Toronto would be expensive. I had a cousin work in Alberta and came home complaining of the cost if living there :/ I would still like to visit!
Vancouver requires a minimum of $65k/annum for a single person to be marginally comfortable, somewhere around $85k/annum for a couple....$2500/month does not rent you much, unless you are well away from the inner city and the more 'high-end' suburbs.

Alberta really ranges....Fort MacMurray is insanely expensive to live in, but the wages are high, too....it is easy for even oil rig workers to pull $100k+ per year, and the McDonalds there pays about $17/hour. Calgary is not too bad...you can rent a decent place for around $1000/month, and a $50k/year job will keep a single person quite happy. Some of the smaller, more rural towns are very affordable, but it can be tough finding a good job locally. One bonus here is that our province is very financially healthy, and we have no PST.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
(gags in mouth) wow.. Atrocious living costs!! Yikes! Me and Matt were paying 600$ for a room. And before that the house I lived in (with the gorgeous green deck which I miss) was 650$. o_O

·
Resident Zoologist
262 Posts
(gags in mouth) wow.. Atrocious living costs!! Yikes! Me and Matt were paying 600$ for a room. And before that the house I lived in (with the gorgeous green deck which I miss) was 650$. o_O
I am not surprised....average house price there is $240k, here it is $450k, and Vancouver runs just about $800k.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wow.. I mean, I love Newfoundland and I know we should be a richer province (Harper is vacuuming all the oil revenue from us) but I have no ties. Once I'm done school I'm ready to move wherever there is work- regardless of cost of living (hopefully!)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts