Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Water bottle troubles

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Bina 
#1 ·
#3 ·
How weird that she won't drink out of a bowl, mine prefer bowls :).

You need to fill it all the way like Purple-Hops said, otherwise there's no vacuum to prevent dripping.

#4 ·
Those bottles NEED NEED NEED to be cleaned everyday. It's bad enough that they are plastic but the sheer amount of water it holds can last for days if bunny don't drink it all or it's not changed. When Akina was using her upside down bottle it sucked but I cleaned it every day. The growth of bacteria can double in warmer temperatures, under sunlight, and with settlement. And I know some bunnies will not use a bowl (Akina, as I said before constantly flipped hers as a funny attention seeking joke -_-) so just clean it a lot! I also reccommend a baby bottle brush to accentuate the hygeine of it. :)

#5 ·
I have the water bottle from link #2 and I really disliked it, I bought one that doesn't have a ball but like a spout thing and it also has an open top so it's easier to fill, it doesn't leak as much although my buns still like to waste their water and drop some of it when they drink.

#6 ·
The only water bottle I've had that has never leaked is a glass one that Tilly has. I use a bowl with Smudge, it's SO much nicer, and they will get more water from the bowl compared to the little nozzle, if that makes sense.

#7 ·
Yes, I had to train Akina to use the bottle by putting up with a couple days of her overturning her water bottle. I placed the bowl half full underneath the spout for the bottle. Eventually they pick it up, I hear rubbing a treat on the spout will encourage them to lick it too.

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the help!! I did as Purplehops suggested and it works alright now :D
It's funny how Mariska refuses to drink from a water bottle and Jayma refuses to drink from a bowl. Bunnies have funny personalities!

#12 ·
I use ceramic bowls.

#13 ·
Out of all my chillas over the years, some preferred bottles, some had ceramic bowls, and some had stainless bowls. Rabbits tend to drink more and make more mess, so I usually use both.
And yes, the loading of water in the bottle needs to be done carefully, making the vacuum start, etc. Also not using frigid cold water is helpful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.