Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
4K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  RSbunny 
#1 ·
I talked to the lady and we're picking up the bunny, Frodo, tomorrow afternoon! So, what bedding is best? Food? She said she has enough for a few days but I'm going to need to buy some. I'll go research, but I trust you guys so I'd like advice from you. :) Ryland is so excited!

#3 ·
I use Mazuri Rabbit and I buy bales of hay from the feed store (rabbits and chins both eat the hay so it's more affordable and they love it) It's timothy hay.
As for bedding...well, many people will recommend Carefresh. I tried it ONCE and NEVER again! :lol: Rabbit urine stinks and I found Carefresh unless changed a few times a day turns into rancid mush! :puke:
So, I went and go with Aspen most of the time. (sometimes i also use kiln dried pine if I run out of aspen) The Aspen shavings seem to control the odor much better and doesn't turn to mush in an hour. I CAN go 2 or 3 days before changing it since my litter box is HUGE! :lol: I got it out of the pet section at Family Dollar for $2 and it's perfect. Like I said, it's a large litter pan so now my buns have no problems keeping the urine and feces INSIDE the box whereas before, I was using an old 9 X13 baking pan (don't worry, I pitched it ;) ) and I'd find poos scattered around the outside of it due to being too small for Dutchie's fat butt. The big one works SOOO much better and hey, you can't beat the price right? ;)
Congratulations on your bun!! We'll need pics!!

#7 ·
Congrats! I use Feline Pine for their litter boxes with hay on top and it works really well. I agree with Mandie, Carefresh doesn't work well with rabbits. I used to use it but not anymore. Oxbow Timothy pellets are the best IMO, and they also make great hay. :yes: I have a supplier that I order from and I pick the stuff up at her house. It works out great because I get the best products, and save soooo much money. There might be someone who does that in your area. Good luck and congrats! :pile:

#8 ·
Ack how did I miss this thread!!! Congrats, how awesome, Christi!!!!! :cheer: I bet Ryland is so excited!!! :clap:

I feed BunBun Oxbow, too. Brad and I go over to the Winter Park Veterinary Hospital to get it, it's off Lee Rd. They have small and big bags, it's only $11 for the 10 lb bag and it lasts awhile for BunBun. They also have Oxbow hay, too. Or let me know if you try that if you find Oxbow somewhere closer! :lol: We've yet to check out the Oviedo Feed Deb told me about!

We rotate between Carefresh and Yesterday's News. Feline Pine is good also! :thumbsup:

I'm so glad everything worked out and congrats!!!!! :clap:

#10 ·
I use the aborbant Pine pellets in Schneeballs Hutch and then I put the hay on top, I usualy put the Pine Pellets in the corner he has selected and so far my flat is still pretty fresh despite having a young buck rabbit thats un nobbled.

yay cant wait to see your Frodo :D

#11 ·
:woohoo: Congrats!!! We use a pine pellet for their litter pans and if that isn't available than we use kiln-dried pine shavings just as the chinnies ;) We use a local rabbit feed around here, it's cheaper for us and there are NO shipping charges :lol: and the buns just love it....As for hay I don't approve of the hay they have around here, so ours gets shipped in from a farm in PA every month :) What we go through to care for our bunnies and chinnies over, wow!! lol

#15 ·
What? You are getting a bunny? I must have missed something :duh: Cooolllllll you are going to love it.

The food brands everyone have mentioned sound fine. Whatever you get make sure it doesn't have little colored pieces. It's junk food! We use Heinhold Rabbit food and buy local hay from a farmer. (I get to visit the cows at the same time- the guy thinks I am so weird getting excited about petting a cow.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.