Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Wacky Chimpnose
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so with all the foods being recalled for dogs and cats, what in the heck am I supposed to feed my animals now? I mean, I'm still feeding Nutro because they seem fine on it. But will the symptoms be delayed? What do I do? :confused:

·
Curmudgeon
1,843 Posts
There is a list floating around of the the foods that were associated with the recall. Check it against what you feed. Even if you are a diehard fan of one of the other brands listed, the affected foods have been recalled, all the contaminated stuff should have been taken off the shelves weeks ago. (If you don't trust your retailer to have cleaned his shelves, I'd try a new one.)

I've continued with Eukanuba/Nutro mix for my pups with no problems.

bob

·
Wacky Chimpnose
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen the list, but it just seems like EVERYthing is on it. I went to PetCo about two weeks ago, and they told me that there was a guy in there about the recall and that they just sent everything back that was bad. So they said that what was on the shelves is good. That's what I bought.

I'm mostly worried that the symptoms will be delayed or something, and that I'm killing my animals unknowingly. :confused:

·
Aspires to Stupidity
2,312 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I've been feeding both my cats and dog, Performatrin. Could someone give me the link to all the recalled food?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Nikko said:
I was wondering the same thing. I've been feeding both my cats and dog, Performatrin. Could someone give me the link to all the recalled food?

Okay, there are lots of links - including under animal welfare board on this forum if you do a search. I don't want to miss giving you important information, so I'm going to give you this first additional link, you can click on any number of things in there to get more information. The second and third links give lists of the food brands affected by the MENU FOODS RECALL, updated as of April 17th.

Menu Foods Income Fund - Annual General Meeting

Recalled cat food:

Recalled dog food:

Please note this is only from the menu foods site, as this is the big recall everyone is talking about, mostly. Other foods, not involved with menu foods, are also affected. These include some varieties of blue buffalo, natural balance and royal canin.

There are also treats involved, del monte, pounce, and some others. Giving a complete list is very difficult. It's hard to determine which pet food companies are owned by whom, etc.

I think the best route is:

IF you are concerned about your food, I suggest 2 things. One, does it contain wheat or corn gluten, or rice protein concentrate? If it does, I would call the number on the bag and talk to your manufacturer and find out who their supplier was.

Here's an ASPCA link regarding the recall as well:
ASPCA: Pet Food Recall

·
Registered
266 Posts

·
Salamander Burgermuffin
2,612 Posts
we've been feeding allie chicken soup for the dog lovers soul, i havent seen it on any lists, and there website says its not involved, and they dont use those ingredients, i still worry about it, as well as her ol'roy food we use as treats, but i havent found that on any lists either.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
I'm feeding ceaser to both of my small dogs& had been for awhile.Our cats are on Whiskas.I haven't heard anything on those foods yet.It's what we always fed.I wanted to look for something more nutritious since i'm not 110% how good those foods are for the animals.(is it junk food? I want healthy food...& non contaminated).

I know Ol' Roy food is still in almost every store I see.My uncle fed his setter that as it was what his previous owner got him to eat as well.It IS on the recalled list,but still in stores!!So be careful what you buy.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
You could always just avoid foods with gluten :).

I feed Innova which wasn't on the recall list, if that helps.

·
Wacky Chimpnose
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
candyraver said:
I'm feeding ceaser to both of my small dogs& had been for awhile.Our cats are on Whiskas.I haven't heard anything on those foods yet.It's what we always fed.I wanted to look for something more nutritious since i'm not 110% how good those foods are for the animals.(is it junk food? I want healthy food...& non contaminated).

I know Ol' Roy food is still in almost every store I see.My uncle fed his setter that as it was what his previous owner got him to eat as well.It IS on the recalled list,but still in stores!!So be careful what you buy.
Ceaser is okaaay as supplement to a good dry food. Whiskas isn't that great. Ol'Roy is horrid! :no:

There are a few threads in the dog and cats section on good foods. :) But some are recalled. :rolleyes:

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
Most of the "super-premium" foods have not been affected, which is good for pet owners. Unfortunately, they're also not available in Petsmart or Petco, which is where a lot of people go to buy food.

Innova, Wellness, Solid Gold, Wysong, California Natural, and Timberwolf haven't been recalled. (Innova actually owns it's own plant for making dry foods, and they're in the process of building a wet food plant in response to all this)

·
Wacky Chimpnose
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, one of my original questions was - Will the symptoms be delayed if the food is bad?

I ask because I'm still feeding the Nutro without problems and have been since the recall. When I heard about it, I took back the wet food that was affected (just cat stuff). But I kept the dry cause it wasn't recalled at the time.

So are my pets ok if they have been doing well the whole time?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
formula86 said:
So, one of my original questions was - Will the symptoms be delayed if the food is bad?

I ask because I'm still feeding the Nutro without problems and have been since the recall. When I heard about it, I took back the wet food that was affected (just cat stuff). But I kept the dry cause it wasn't recalled at the time.

So are my pets ok if they have been doing well the whole time?
When I researched the FDA site, it said symptoms usually showed up within a couple of days. I can't offer any medical opinions, but it seems like it doesn't take too long if you have tainted food to see ill effects.

Also, Nutro DRY food, if I recall, doesn't have wheat gluten or rice protein concentrate in it. Their website says they aren't associated with American Nutrition, so there shouldn't even be any in there that's unlabeled. Some varieties have corn gluten in it. But so far, nothing has turned up in corn gluten in the U.S. so far, and I don't believe there are any FDA alerts for it.

I'm glad are your critters are doin' good :)

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
formula86 said:
Ceaser is okaaay as supplement to a good dry food. Whiskas isn't that great. Ol'Roy is horrid! :no:

There are a few threads in the dog and cats section on good foods. :) But some are recalled. :rolleyes:
Ceaser has a dry food too though.For small dogs,& seniors.
Whiskas...bleh.I wouldn't feed that to my cat if I were to get one.
It is the only thing mom's cat will eat though :eek2:

Ol'Roy...if you look at the ingredients you can see it's probably the worse thing available to feed a dog.
Again,that's the only thing that dog will eat in dog fod,it's what he was raised on before my uncle bought him a few years back..that doggie is ancient :scared:

·
Wacky Chimpnose
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
millie121 said:
When I researched the FDA site, it said symptoms usually showed up within a couple of days. I can't offer any medical opinions, but it seems like it doesn't take too long if you have tainted food to see ill effects.

Also, Nutro DRY food, if I recall, doesn't have wheat gluten or rice protein concentrate in it. Their website says they aren't associated with American Nutrition, so there shouldn't even be any in there that's unlabeled. Some varieties have corn gluten in it. But so far, nothing has turned up in corn gluten in the U.S. so far, and I don't believe there are any FDA alerts for it.

I'm glad are your critters are doin' good :)
Thanks. And thanks for the info. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts